Player Discussion Nick Suzuki Part 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
Our chances of getting Lafreniere were already extremely slim. And slim just took a major step on his way out of town:

we looked like a team that can cause an upset AND we won the game. We now have to go .500 the rest of the series to win it- this mediocre team's specialty.
I still have hope
Malkin should have scored about 4 times last night, I don't see that luck continuing for the lads

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Win or lose I hope we start using this guy as our number one going forward. Let him develop. I think we need to give KK all the ice he can handle as well.

Imo KK should get that ice time in the AHL next season, cause close will coach to win games and trust his gut. Only reason Domi's not playing ahead of KK is because Domi missed the first part of camp and KK seized the moment. But CJ we will revert back to using KK sparsely.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Imo KK should get that ice time in the AHL next season, cause close will coach to win games and trust his gut. Only reason Domi's not playing ahead of KK is because Domi missed the first part of camp and KK seized the moment. But CJ we will revert back to using KK sparsely.
Last night should have wiped out this myth Julien doesn’t give the young players a fair shake - w Suzuki the most used forward by over 2-min, and KK out repeatedly vs Crosby’s line.

Julien couldn’t control his giddiness at post game PC of KKs effectivity.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Last night should have wiped out this myth Julien doesn’t give the young players a fair shake - w Suzuki the most used forward by over 2-min, and KK out repeatedly vs Crosby’s line.

one game doesn't change my opinion of him but we'll see how the rest of the series plays out. I won't soon forget how poorly he handled Galchenyuk, Kotka, and others. Suzuki earned his ice time because he was our best forward, so of course it should be expected that when you are the teams best forward the coach is going to play you more. The problem is not trusting young players that aren't as strong defensively and not putting them in better positions to succeed.

Reactions: cphabs

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
Seems to have an extra gear come playoff time. He did the same thing when he was with Guelph. Solid all year and then became the most clutch player I've ever seen when guelphs back was against the wall.
He was also that way in Owen Sound.
I have London Knights season tics and he always picked it up come POs.
With OS his 2nd year he broke out in the POs stepped up and was their best player on a good team. This was the year and series I think we he gained that extra little confidence that he could be a star in the OHL. In Guelph they were down big in every series (3-1, 3-0 to London) but he helped lead them back each time.
Man he torched his home city lol.
Good kid, nice parents and always been a leader

Reactions: DangerDave

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

Ok but we'll see what happens as soon as he makes a couple mistakes...

Having said that, maybe KK has reached another level in his development. He was noticeably physically thicker. But still I'm not sure being in a role in the NHL where he can survive defensively playing 13 minutes a night is better than playing a full season in the AHL where he can dominate at both ends of the ice.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
one game doesn't change my opinion of him but we'll see how the rest of the series plays out. I won't soon forget how poorly he handled Galchenyuk, Kotka, and others. Suzuki earned his ice time because he was our best forward, so of course it should be expected that when you are the teams best forward the coach is going to play you more. The problem is not trusting young players that aren't as strong defensively and not putting them in better positions to succeed.
KK was not poorly handled, he was physically not ready for the NHL but the Habs team had no C options to start 18-19 season + his Finnish team was a totally mess & AHL would’ve been a poor option given the size element.

there are also lots of short memories, I happen to live in Bruins country, people wanted Juliens head for protecting Marchand all those years, leaning on Bergeron for defensive situations from his get home as coach before realizing how perfect an overall player Bergeron could be and giving little Tory Krug “unnecessary” TOO. Everyone harps on Pastrnak, but forget he was brought into the league as a puny stick boy 18-yr old (like KK) and by the time he started filling out at 21 and started performing Julien was canned.

Reactions: Rozz and 1909

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
KK was not poorly handled, he was physically not ready for the NHL but the Habs team had no C options to start 18-19 season + his Finnish team was a totally mess & AHL would’ve been a poor option given the size element.

there are also lots of short memories, I happen to live in Bruins country, people wanted Juliens head for protecting Marchand all those years, leaning on Bergeron for defensive situations from his get home as coach before realizing how perfect an overall player Bergeron could be and giving little Tory Krug “unnecessary” TOO. Everyone harps on Pastrnak, but forget he was brought into the league as a puny stick boy 18-yr old (like KK) and by the time he started filling out at 21 and started performing Julien was canned.

It shouldn't matter one bit that we had no Center options or that his Ligga team was terrible. To take a kid that just turned 18 and clearly wasn't physically mature and who spent most of the previous season on the wing, to put him in the NHL at center at such a young age with clear issues was very stupid and short sighted imo. Julien didn't trust him and imo they messed with his confidence. I know he was injured this year and we can never know how an injury impacts a player but for someone of his skill level to put up just 8 points is jaw droppingly bad even for a 19 year old.

I can't really speak to his boston days, personally I just can't stand him and can't wait till the day the 3 headed monster is gone.

AlexGretzchenvid

Jan 19, 2013
Suzuki’s game last night was so impressive for a 20 year old.
He was on the 3man penalty kill against Crosby malkin all night.. plus he chipped in offensively more than once even if he didn’t convert..

This guy may see the C in Montreal.. but then again maybe just the A like plecks

players who get the C in Montreal are often traded away

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
It shouldn't matter one bit that we had no Center options or that his Ligga team was terrible. To take a kid that just turned 18 and clearly wasn't physically mature and who spent most of the previous season on the wing, to put him in the NHL at center at such a young age with clear issues was very stupid and short sighted imo. Julien didn't trust him and imo they messed with his confidence. I know he was injured this year and we can never know how an injury impacts a player but for someone of his skill level to put up just 8 points is jaw droppingly bad even for a 19 year old.

I can't really speak to his boston days, personally I just can't stand him and can't wait till the day the 3 headed monster is gone.
Of course it matters, it’s a billion $ “business” (key word in quotes). It’s all about monthly/quarterly and yearly profits. It’s great to be a fan and say build for the future by sucking for years on end or let prospects develop, but there are big time loan payments to be made for the “business”. As during this Covid crisis, workers are collateral who impact bottom line profits and the easiest cost cutting measures to be undertaken. That’s the eternal balancing act.

Now, if someone makes the counter argument why under MB there were no other C options - be it via acquisition or through the draft...that’s another totally valid criticism..

Reactions: SamHabsFan

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Of course it matters, it’s a billion $ “business” (key word in quotes). It’s all about monthly/quarterly and yearly profits. It’s great to be a fan and say build for the future by sucking for years on end or let prospects develop, but there are big time loan payments to be made for the “business”. As during this Covid crisis, workers are collateral who impact bottom line profits and the easiest cost cutting measures to be undertaken. That’s the eternal balancing act.

Now, if someone makes the counter argument why under MB there were no other C options - be it via acquisition or through the draft...that’s another totally valid criticism..

no that's on the GM, he needs to find a solution, that's what he gets paid for, not trades are hard so let's role the dice with our 3rd OA pick when so much of our future is riding on this kids shoulder. Of course it's a business but Molson is not poor and has been saving around 8M or so every year on the cap so if he can't afford to spend to the cap then he doesn't deserve to own the most historic team in the NHL. If the owner and GM are going to bring in an 18 year old center that is physically lacking and barely played center in Liiga, just to save a buck or two (I know it's a lot more then that) then shame on them and they are terrible at their jobs.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
To which player(s) would you compare him?
At 20 in our franchise? Eller. Not because he doesn’t have the skill and drive to be the large skilled center we’ve always wanted. We have to make room for Danualt and Drouin.
This was a reply about Coconut

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
#Suzuki-PressConference(20/08/01)

“I was pretty confident going in. I had two solid defenders who were with me and we talked a lot about their power play and what we want to try to do against them. I was confident going in. It was nice to get the confidence from the coach to trust me in that situation.”

“As a line we had a rough start. We were trapped in the D zone a lot but the coaching staff was really on and talking about being ready and our time would come. Just keep working. We've enough skill on that line to generate a lot of offence.”

“I think it gives us a lot of confidence. A lot of people didn't see us as contenders, so we want to show them that we can compete with anyone. This is a good first step, but we know they're going to bring their A-game next game and we've got to be ready for that.”

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Shades of Krejci or dare I say Bergeron in the making...

IMO that’s what Julien sees as well as he was front and center for the development of both with Bergeron developing into one of the all time great two way Cs.

Reactions: Bouboumaster

CristianoRonaldo

Apr 7, 2014
In your head
Give him Tatar and Gally, the excuse of "protecting him" won't cut it, he's facing Malkin...

It's harder to face Malkin with Drouin and Armia than with Tatar and Gally. Give the kid some help, Drouin is horrendous and Armia is not that good offensively.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Wow! I think I heard the name "Suzuki" yesterday more than all of the other Habs combined - minus Price.
I was surprised to see him everywhere, even on the PK (in an elimination game to boot!).

I've learned to tamper my expectations with Habs prospects, but I feell ike I can start to expect greater things from Suzuki the way he's playing. Can't wait to see how he continues to grow and mature into his role.

angusyoung

Bersantai
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar

upload_2020-8-2_13-0-6.jpeg

Reactions: Bouboumaster
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad