Player Discussion Nick Suzuki Part 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beendair Donedat

Punk in Drublic
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
He was a force out there. Solid at both ends of the rink, and the goal he scored was a beauty. Perfect shot. I haven’t been this excited about an up and coming forward in a long time. Great effort and game.

PS - let the kid have his own number. I hate seeing him wear 14, reminds me of the perennial playoff disappearing act that used to wear that number.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Win or lose I hope we start using this guy as our number one going forward. Let him develop. I think we need to give KK all the ice he can handle as well.

He was able to handle the defensive assignments tonight. If he can play like that regularly, he could easily supplant Danault on a line with Tatar and Gallagher, relegating Danault back to a more traditional shutdown, third line role.

Tatar - Suzuki - Gallagher
Drouin - Kotkaniemi - Armia
Domi - Danault - Lehkonen
Poehling - Evans - Byron

That's assuming no changes but, as I really don't see Domi on the wing to begin with, I think he'll be moved for a D, left or right.

The lineup for forwards would then look more like this:

Lehkonen - Danault - Byron
Poehling - Ebans - Ylonen

Even better if we somehow land Lafrenière at the draft:

Lafrenière - Kotkaniemi - Caufield
Drouin - Danault - Armia
Byron - Poehling - Ylonen
Evans

Gyfu

May 16, 2011
he can pick it, Kotka has a heavier shot but just isn't nearly as accurate.
I think he (Zuke) makes it harder for goalies to react/read with an incredible variety of shots, KK doesn't have the shot selection that suzuki has... Like you said, KK's shot is harder, but suzuki is much more deceptive, better selection, and I've said it before but i like how suzuki often has the puck far from his body and then, quick toe-drag to open up a different angle for the shot in a split second

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
I think he (Zuke) makes it harder for goalies to react/read with an incredible variety of shots, KK doesn't have the shot selection that suzuki has... Like you said, KK's shot is harder, but suzuki is much more deceptive, better selection, and I've said it before but i like how suzuki often has the puck far from his body and then, quick toe-drag to open up a different angle for the shot in a split second

He drew the puck to himself right beforee shooting tonight and completely fooled the G. Confidence was more than apparent and I really think he'll grow into something special.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
He was able to handle the defensive assignments tonight. If he can play like that regularly, he could easily supplant Danault on a line with Tatar and Gallagher, relegating Danault back to a more traditional shutdown, third line role.

Domi - Danault - Lehkonen
Poehling - Evans - Byron

That's assuming no changes but, as I really don't see Domi on the wing to begin with, I think he'll be moved for a D, left or right.

The lineup for forwards would then look more like this:

Lehkonen - Danault - Byron
Poehling - Ebans - Ylonen

Even better if we somehow land Lafrenière at the draft:

Lafrenière - Kotkaniemi - Caufield
Drouin - Danault - Armia
Byron - Poehling - Ylonen
Evans

His PK play on that 5 on 3 was even more impressive than the goal for crissakes lol

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Burnett was his Jr coach only for a few months after a deadline deal.
But yes he has consistently taken steps forward thru his his career.
Saw him alot in Minor midget ( he always played well against us agghh lol) a lot in the OHL with OS and Guelph and was always impressed. Living in London and being involved at the the time in Minor hockey always heard of the solid work ethic.
The younger bro has more skilll at the same age but Nick has that it factor. More jam n desire to his game.
So glad they scooped him in the Patch trade.
Kids going to be a factor as a top 6 F, no doubts

Yes, Burnett said from the time they got him all the way through the memorial cup, he never stopped improving. Everytime there was a new challenge, he elevated his game and rose to the challenge. I heard the interview on tsn690 some time earlier in the middle of this season...

Reactions: Habs Icing

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
Unless the Habs win Lafreniere, the future of this franchise heavily depends on Nick Suzuki. I think he will run with it! Give him legit wingers and in a few years he could be among the games best centers :nod:

If Caufield can make the transition to the NHL, I could see them being a deadly duo in a few years!

Reactions: Sasha Orlov

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
Seems to have an extra gear come playoff time. He did the same thing when he was with Guelph. Solid all year and then became the most clutch player I've ever seen when guelphs back was against the wall.

Chr1s97

Jul 25, 2018
Montreal
What.A.Player !!! This kid is so f** fkg nice to watch. So much skills, so much IQ, he strong on his feet, good skater, amazing release, amazing passer, involve erywhere on the Ice Ozone-Dzone, effective on PP, effective on PK, hes disipline in all the aspect(Rarely take bad penalties & always make sure that his D coverage is on point he never leave a shooter alone in the slots).... Like theres so much I can say bout him its unbelievable and his only 20.

Jabba11

Hockey Lobby
Nov 28, 2009
hockeylobby.blogspot.com
I'm so stoked we have this kid in our organization. I hate Bergevin but have to admit that Pacioretty trade to get us Suzuki in the deal was insane.

He's our future #1 center with skills. Much needed. Long awaited.

Reactions: Habs Icing

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
Bergevin gets a lot of flack all the time but this Pacioretty trade is gonna be a f***ing slamdunk in a couple of years....

It was a solid trade, no doubt about that. It's too bad the rest of his tenure is filled in with questionable decision making and lack of any tangible results.

That being said, Suzuki should be a top 30 player for many years to come, especially as he matures. Smart players like him nearly always improve year over year.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
It was a solid trade, no doubt about that. It's too bad the rest of his tenure is filled in with questionable decision making and lack of any tangible results.

That being said, Suzuki should be a top 30 player for many years to come, especially as he matures. Smart players like him nearly always improve year over year.

It's known I'm a Bergevin lover but this goes a lot further, Suzuki will be the face of this franchise for decades imo. That trade was somewhat future deciding or something...

Reactions: DAChampion

MarkyMarkov

Jan 31, 2010

My take is that Bergevin was pretty good for the first few years, but was a bit too inactive and should have really gone for it. Then he went off the rails and made a series of terrible decisions for 2 years (some like Weber have been somewhat vindicated, but most not and he still showed no overall long-term strategy or team-building philosophy). In the last couple of years though, he's made pretty much all of the right moves.

Suzuki is a gem though, so happy we got him (and Tatar and Norlinder!) for Pacioretty. Before the trade, everyone on here thought Cody Glass was the better prospect. Doesn't seem like it now. Sometimes you luck out like that. I remember when the Rangers chose Josef Balej over Tomas Plekanec in the Kovalev trade.

Last edited:

Odie Cleghorn

Jun 8, 2020
It's known I'm a Bergevin lover but this goes a lot further, Suzuki will be the face of this franchise for decades imo. That trade was somewhat future deciding or something...
He probably got lucky there too. I suspect he preferred Glass but he was an untouchable. I don't see Glass on Vegas' playoff roster.

Reactions: CheldishGamibno

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008

One player doesn't undo questionable management (See: Edmonton/Buffalo). I hope I'm wrong about him as he's shown time and time again that he can't stick to his own plan with consistency. One thing I do know is I love the way Suzuki plays and I feel for once we have a young player that is mature beyond his years. There's no arguing that we have a solid crop of young players coming into play , I just don't know if Bergevin is the guy to surround them properly. (He wasn't able to surround Price/P.K/Pacioretty properly)

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
What.A.Player !!! This kid is so f** fkg nice to watch. So much skills, so much IQ, he strong on his feet, good skater, amazing release, amazing passer, involve erywhere on the Ice Ozone-Dzone, effective on PP, effective on PK, hes disipline in all the aspect(Rarely take bad penalties & always make sure that his D coverage is on point he never leave a shooter alone in the slots).... Like theres so much I can say bout him its unbelievable and his only 20.
He is sneaky too!

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
Bergevin gets a lot of flack all the time but this Pacioretty trade is gonna be a f***ing slamdunk in a couple of years....

Agreed, it was his best trade and he deserves credit for it.

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
upload_2020-8-2_10-2-21.jpeg

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
That Lafreniere - Suzuki - Caufield line is going to be just great :m-dance:

Our chances of getting Lafreniere were already extremely slim. And slim just took a major step on his way out of town:

we looked like a team that can cause an upset AND we won the game. We now have to go .500 the rest of the series to win it- this mediocre team's specialty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad