Player Discussion Nick Suzuki Part 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
Ya I guess the Hong Kong beer league is really an up and comer eh. Heard theirs a couple guys who used to play select in Canada there.

The fact that you didn't even see the subtle move he made to freeze the defense tells me you don't know what the f*** you're talking about. But I already knew that.

when I read “I’ve done that in beer league” comments...
upload_2020-7-30_15-5-10.gif

domiwroze

Nov 14, 2014
Danault will probably be the guy that plays center on that line especially of CJ is still the coach.

Against Toronto
Suzuki : 19:53
Domi : 18:29
Danault : 14:35
Kotkaniemk : 13:24

I feel like Suzuki will be our 1C in no time tho, Clode love Big Nick

Laffy - Suzuki - Gallagher
Tatar - Kotkaniemi - Domi
Drouin - Danault - Armia
Byron - Evans - Lehkonen

but it's clode, so you might be right and it might just end up with ( resign Weal ) Weal - Domi - Lehkonen on the 4th line

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Against Toronto

Drouin - Danault - Armia
Byron - Evans - Lehkonen
All right, check those numbers again on Saturday when the game means something.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

Jul 6, 2016
Against Toronto

Drouin - Danault - Armia
Byron - Evans - Lehkonen

but it's clode, so you might be right and it might just end up with ( resign Weal ) Weal - Domi - Lehkonen on the 4th line

Big Nick ??? LOL....

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
It's the whole sequence and how effortlessly and smooth it was done as well. Maybe 50 players have done that exact play but I'm not sure they all could've done it as well as he did. That's the point too.

I think it's rare. You don't.

yep, it’s not the pass itself, rather the poise and ability to slow the play down and freeze the opponents. It’s the type of play you often see from players like Kane, Gaudreau and Marner. Plenty of players can make that pass, but not a lot can set it up quite like that.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
I don't think I have to write up a list of players who can do this. If someone needs me to do it, then I just assume they know very little about other players in the NHL.
But wait, you think not 50 players could make this play?
Why don't you look at the list of the 50 best scorers in 19-20, tell me who in there you think can't do such plays?
NHL.com Stats
For the sake of the argument, take away the few defensemen if you want, tell me with a straight face guys like Petterson, Barkov, Kopitar, O'Reilly, Toews, Stone, can't do this. If you think that then you simply haven't watched those guy play all that much.

It was a nice play from Suzuki. That's all there is to it. No it's not rare.
Look, it's not just the pass. Watch the sequence again.

Some players are capable of making this play. Kane, Marner, JT and Crosby immediately jump to mind. Stone and Toews definitely not lol. The point is that Suzuki is doing this somewhat regularly and at a much higher rate than 99% of the league. Hes probably done this a dozen times this year This one was against a great dman and goalie is Reilly and Andersen and he made them look foolish.

Not to be a dick but this is not a move that you or anyone on this board including myself can pull off against semi decent opposition. If we could, we'd likely be playing professionally.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Obviously if we end up with the 1st overall I wouldn't do it. A 9th? Ya, I would, assuming whoever comes in is talented.

I'm just more interested in keeping the 9th overall than trading for a veteran top six forward. I don't see us winning anything anytime soon.

And, I assume we wouldn't get much for Poehling, Mete, Brook, and Fleury. So we should develop them - in the AHL, not the NHL. (too late in Mete's case, but not the other 3).

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I'll admit I don't really want to comb through all that footage to see. Unless you do since you think it's pretty easy to find.

I think you're concentrating on the pass itself too much here. Sure that pass can happen from many.

It's really the TWO fakes that open up that pass. And those Leaf players bit pretty hard on BOTH and they happened within seconds of each other. P. Kane can do that. Not so sure Toews can. He might.

I'd re-watch those Laff players on BOTH fakes. Again, it's not about how many players can make that pass but how many players are that good at telegraphing one way and having defenders bite as hard as they do.

It's the whole sequence and how effortlessly and smooth it was done as well. Maybe 50 players have done that exact play but I'm not sure they all could've done it as well as he did. That's the point too.

I think it's rare. You don't.

I'll just agree to disagree. Really no way to prove one's right or the other's wrong unless you want to dig out some highlight reels.
No I don't think it's particular rare. As I said, I'm not saying its not a good play, it was. Just saying, it's not an unbelievable play that is so rare only a handful of guys can do it.

Toews absolutely can make sick plays, he has, many times, and was a key factor in winning multiple cups because of it.
And so do many other players.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I'm just more interested in keeping the 9th overall than trading for a veteran top six forward. I don't see us winning anything anytime soon.

And, I assume we wouldn't get much for Poehling, Mete, Brook, and Fleury. So we should develop them - in the AHL, not the NHL. (too late in Mete's case, but not the other 3).
Well ideally we don't have to give up anybody and sign a free agent, just saying Kovalchuk ain't that guy.

Reactions: 417

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Look, it's not just the pass. Watch the sequence again.

Some players are capable of making this play. Kane, Marner, JT and Crosby immediately jump to mind. Stone and Toews definitely not lol. The point is that Suzuki is doing this somewhat regularly and at a much higher rate than 99% of the league. Hes probably done this a dozen times this year This one was against a great dman and goalie is Reilly and Andersen and he made them look foolish.

Not to be a dick but this is not a move that you or anyone on this board including myself can pull off against semi decent opposition. If we could, we'd likely be playing professionally.
He made a fake and then passed it through players to Tatar waiting by the goalpost. It was on the PP so he had time for it as well.
It was a nice play, thats it. Pumping it up as if only 5 guys in the NHL can do this is silly.
It's just not true. Many players do that, especially on the PP. That does not take anything away from it, we just don't need to inflate it.

Reactions: Eegs

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
No I don't think it's particular rare. As I said, I'm not saying its not a good play, it was. Just saying, it's not an unbelievable play that is so rare only a handful of guys can do it.

Toews absolutely can make sick plays, he has, many times, and was a key factor in winning multiple cups because of it.
And so do many other players.

I'll make the subtler point that I think it's pretty rare that someone can execute it as smoothly as he did.

After watching it a few more times, I get your point. It's really more so the effortlessness with which he did it. The play itself isn't so unbelievable. I got you there. But the ease and finesse with which he did it makes it look a LOT easier than it actually is.

I still don't necessarily think it's as many as you think can make that play but even if it is, I sincerely doubt that many can do it as smoothly and effortlessly as he did.

We're just going to have to wait and see if his playmaking is in that extra rare level as I think it is, where you seem to think it's likely not. I feel I've been a bit hyperbolic if I wanted to steel man myself but I'm fairly certain you're selling Suzuki short. I mean it's safe to say you're in the top 5 on these boards of being hard to please so I feel fairly confident in my assertion you're underrating that play AT LEAST A BIT.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
5'11'' 180 pounds.... Wow. That is big.

Suzuki is listed as 200lbs on both hockeyDB and the Montreals Website, wich i doubt is true, because it's very heavy for someone 5'11, even 180 would be very good depending on how lean he is. anyway weight is irrevelant, it's how strong you are, he's a beast at puck protection and he's only 20.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
Yeah we can agree to disagree on that in a Suzuki thread.

But Suzukinwill hopefully have some linemates with hockey sense and offense...

Hint: Someone not too tall, who can put the puck everywhere he wants from from anywhere.

Imagine winning 1st overall. Lafreniere - Suzuki - Caufield, would be disgusting. On paper the fit is ridiculous.

An elite LW powerfoward with skills who can do it all, who's insane along the boards.

A two way Center with a slick vision and the king of deception, who also has realy good puck possession skills and great along the boards.

A Small sniper who lurks everywhere in the Ozone, can shoot from anywhere and makes it easy for his linemates to find open lanes. great at forcing turnovers in the neutral zone and extremely soft hands and moves the puck quick.

Literally everyone on this line makes each others job easier to do.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I'll make the subtler point that I think it's pretty rare that someone can execute it as smoothly as he did.

After watching it a few more times, I get your point. It's really more so the effortlessness with which he did it. The play itself isn't so unbelievable. I got you there. But the ease and finesse with which he did it makes it look a LOT easier than it actually is.

I still don't necessarily think it's as many as you think can make that play but even if it is, I sincerely doubt that many can do it as smoothly and effortlessly as he did.

We're just going to have to wait and see if his playmaking is in that extra rare level as I think it is, where you seem to think it's likely not. I feel I've been a bit hyperbolic if I wanted to steel man myself but I'm fairly certain you're selling Suzuki short. I mean it's safe to say you're in the top 5 on these boards of being hard to please so I feel fairly confident in my assertion you're underrating that play AT LEAST A BIT.

Dude....come ooooon. Take it easy. Cross ice passes on the PP are super common. Again, it doesn't take away from his play where he did a little fake and beautifully passed it to Tatar across 2 players but it is not a unique play.

I'm not selling Suzuki short at all, I think he's great with top line potential. I'm solely discussing about this specific play. For the record, I've repeatedly said it was a nice play, where I disagree is that there's only 5 players who can do this, which is laughable, I mean truly, laughable. But in no way does that mean I don't think Suzuki is great.

Reactions: 26Mats

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Dude....come ooooon. Take it easy. Cross ice passes on the PP are super common. Again, it doesn't take away from his play where he did a little fake and beautifully passed it to Tatar across 2 players but it is not a unique play.

I'm not selling Suzuki short at all, I think he's great with top line potential. I'm solely discussing about this specific play. For the record, I've repeatedly said it was a nice play, where I disagree is that there's only 5 players who can do this, which is laughable, I mean truly, laughable. But in no way does that mean I don't think Suzuki is great.
At least it used to be common in Montreal when Markov was the PP QB lol

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
At least it used to be common in Montreal when Markov was the PP QB lol
Markov and Kovalev...would happen regularly, pretty much every game. I guess some people have short memories or weren't watching back then.

Reactions: 417

giblit

Feb 27, 2015
This guy is money on the pp. He finds or opens up the cross ice seam regularly. My favorite is when he's looking off at the pass and drains it.

He's really poised. I don't really notice him force the pass and turn it over, or shoot on a hope and prayer, or run out of room and options.

He seems to find Tatar a lot. Like to see them together 5 on 5, seems obvious.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012

Lol what are you “dude come oning” about?

Did you even read my post? I actually agreed with you that the play itself isn’t so unbelievable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad