Nick Robertson, what do you think about this Kid ?

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
I would be fine with leaving him in the AHL for a bit to get his legs going, his confidence up, and adjust to some pro hockey.
Ya I think prior to last night I would have said otherwise. I thought he looked ready preseason and in the limited 3 shifts that he played prior to the injury. I seemed to think this kid was god, and forgot the fact that it was a knee injury that sidelined him for the better part of a month. He definitely will need a week or 2 to get his legs back. Skill wise he is more than ready, physically he just needs to get his strength back IMO

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Ya I think prior to last night I would have said otherwise. I thought he looked ready preseason and in the limited 3 shifts that he played prior to the injury. I seemed to think this kid was god, and forgot the fact that it was a knee injury that sidelined him for the better part of a month. He definitely will need a week or 2 to get his legs back. Skill wise he is more than ready, physically he just needs to get his strength back IMO

Yep and I cannot understate how important confidence is for a young guy.

A lot of midseason callups do well getting their cup of coffee because their confidence is sky high after playing well in the AHL. And some guys struggle with that the following season heading into a new NHL year because it takes time to get their legs going.

I'd rather see Robertson score a few goals, produce well and feel good with himself before going in on a higher level.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
Yep and I cannot understate how important confidence is for a young guy.

A lot of midseason callups do well getting their cup of coffee because their confidence is sky high after playing well in the AHL. And some guys struggle with that the following season heading into a new NHL year because it takes time to get their legs going.

I'd rather see Robertson score a few goals, produce well and feel good with himself before going in on a higher level.
Yup, You could see how Robertson's game changed the second he scored that goal as well. I think he recognizes that even though he is in the minors, there is still a very high visibility on him being the Leafs top prospect. He knows that people are expecting him to dominate at the AHL level. I felt like you could see the relief in his game right away after that goal. Had a bit of the yips before it, and once he lit the lamp it was like a brand new player IMO. The more confidence he can gain down in the A the better off he will be when he gets the callup

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
I don't mind slow cooking him. It's nice how we have not ignored the pipeline despite trading futures every year for playoff runs. I suspect he will be up for the playoffs.

I might not be as high on him as some. This Marner talk sounds crazy to me. I'm hoping he's a 30-30 guy who can play a two way game. It will be interesting to see where he lands and what line he ends up on.

You're not as high as some but you're hoping he's a 30-30 guy? lol dude, that's what we're all hoping for. I would love to have our own Arvidsson.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Was just checking the Marlies boxscore from last night to check on Robertson. No points on 4 shots in a 4-2 loss.

Brooks put up an ugly -4 but the team outshot Manitoba 45-19 in the 4-2 loss.

Doing a little research the poor Marlies will struggle without a capable goalie.
Ian Scott is still out
Woll is on the PR
Hutch with the big club.

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Forcheck,backcheck, pay cheque. He’s tracking pucks and his back pressure is a standout. I didn’t see last nights game but he had 4 shots. The Moose goalie stole one for them. Marlies doubled them in shots. Nothing for Robertson in last one. He’s playing really strong.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
He'll be up very soon (next game I'd bet) and he has some serious talent and a great shot
I wouldn’t mind if they kept him there until he heats right up. It looks like he could. I always liked prospects dominating the Ahl and then called up. I was thinking he gets called up end of the month. Now i am wondering if i would like to see him called up that quick. After this road trip the Marlies are allowed to play home games so I’m less inclined to think he should be back with the Leafs. He has dominated yet but he is top quality Ahl’er already. He’s playing 200 ft two way hockey. Best part for me is he gets more time with the puck, handling the puck. Thats the licker for me. I like him getting lots of time with the puck on his stick in game situations. If they call him up and don’t play him i would rather he stays with the Marlies. That’s what I’m believing might be best if he is going to taxi squad. Just leave him flourish if he is not going to play every night.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Was just checking the Marlies boxscore from last night to check on Robertson. No points on 4 shots in a 4-2 loss.

Doing a little research the poor Marlies will struggle without a capable goalie.
Ian Scott is still out
Woll is on the PR
Hutch with the big club.
Jeesh Scott has been out for what nearly 2 full years?

Lil Tuzzi Bert

Slaw Bunnies
Jul 14, 2009
TVA
Anyone think they keep him down there until start of OHL season? Then bring him to the leafs to finish the year since he can’t play with the Marlies once Pete’s start

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Anyone think they keep him down there until start of OHL season? Then bring him to the leafs to finish the year since he can’t play with the Marlies once Pete’s start
I know Keefe said he’ll be back up soon enough and it’s just a temporary thing. I think they are just watching his development right now. I’m wondering if the Ohl might be open to exemptions under the circumstances for just this year strictly for development purposes and stability for players. Thats something that happens April 2-4 unofficially i suppose. A exemption announcement for this season would be the right thing to do. I hope they allow some kind of process to apply for with their players Nhl teams.
Suppose the Leafs could tell him behind the scenes anyway that if it comes to Nhl or Ohl it will be Nhl. All about focus being on the team he iscwith would be helpful

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC
Let’s project the possibilities of Nick becoming a above average player, wouldn’t it be awesome for him and the team to be on the left wing with AM and MM
And then we get a true top 6 left winger to play with JT and WN
Now with that in mind , the bottom 6 would be made up of our up and coming home grown talent and aging veterans looking for cups

not bad at all
Just dreaming I guess

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
I like the thought of Robertson playing with men for a few weeks with the Marlies.
They have a very busy schedule so lots of games.

It was alarming (Maybe a fluke) how early Robertson was taken out on an innocent looking play. Maybe a good idea to skate with the big boys in the AHL for a bit to get used to the size difference. It is a big deal to go from junior to the NHL. A bigger deal when you are underage. AND A BIGGER deal when you are the size of NR.

Lets not rush this for the sake of filling a short term need. Do what is right for the long term success of the player.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
I don't mind slow cooking him. It's nice how we have not ignored the pipeline despite trading futures every year for playoff runs. I suspect he will be up for the playoffs.

I might not be as high on him as some. This Marner talk sounds crazy to me. I'm hoping he's a 30-30 guy who can play a two way game. It will be interesting to see where he lands and what line he ends up on.

To me, that's the biggest challenge with Robertson -- where and how do you fit him in?

The Leafs are one of the top offensive units in the league, despite having a couple of guys (Tavares & Nylander) presently underachieving. The focus needs to be on being tougher to play against, but that's really not what Robertson brings. He brings another scoring threat.

I suspect Dubas & co. view it similarly. Let him get some pro-experience with the Marlies. It's not gonna hurt him, and to be realistic, they don't really need him right now.

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC
No reason he can't play in the bottom six even if everyone is healthy.
I would be ok with the kid playing on the 3rd Lind and then moving up , but if he’s only going to get 5-7 min a night on the 4th , I’d sooner see him playing in junior or the A ( but don’t think he can play in the A when junior starts ??? I could be wrong though

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Let this kid play some top line minutes and get a season in the AHL. Burn a year could create more problems further down the road for our cap situation.

I could see him and Amirov being the cornerstones of our LW. Resign Hyman long term for a reasonable amount and boom your LW is set up for the next 5 years.

Reactions: supermann_98

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site

Ian Scott is still out
Woll is on the PR
Hutch with the big club.
I know it's still very early but when do we start to discuss Ian Scott never making it because he's made of glass

Reactions: The Iceman

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Let this kid play some top line minutes and get a season in the AHL. Burn a year could create more problems further down the road for our cap situation.

I could see him and Amirov being the cornerstones of our LW. Resign Hyman long term for a reasonable amount and boom your LW is set up for the next 5 years.

Does not include Hallander or Abruzzese who are likely going to end up on the LW as well.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
It would just be incredible if those 55 goals weren't some kind of fluke and he truly is that good. Lookout Lefreniere..

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
It would just be incredible if those 55 goals weren't some kind of fluke and he truly is that good. Lookout Lefreniere..

Oof Lafreniere only has 1 goal (and point) in 15 games and is a -7... Even Hughes was able to have a hotter start than that and he was pretty bad last year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad