Nick Robertson, what do you think about this Kid ?

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Yeah I am not quite sure why we aren't giving him a shot with these injuries. LW depth tonight is Tavares, Barabanov, Vesey and and Petan...like why not give him a shot? I assume it's cause the Marlies are in Calgary but...

OB34KNH

Apr 11, 2019
I really don't see why he isn't being called up.

Is it because he's not 100% healthy?
He's played 5 games in the AHL post-injury, so I think he should be fine now.

Does it really matter if he gets slotted into the lineup over one of: Petan, Vesey, or Barabanov?
None of them are net-positive players.

Give the kid a shot with the 2nd line if he's healthy, it only makes sense.

TopChedder

Oct 2, 2013

Does it really matter if he gets slotted into the lineup over one of: Petan, Vesey, or Barabanov?

They only thing I can think of is keeping him contractually cheaper longer with the flat cap.

They had him in the lineup when he was hurt so they believe in him.

Jeypic

Sep 12, 2015

I think the ahl is best for his development right now. We should keep him there as long as we can before giving him a shot. I’m not for certain that he is a better option then those other players yet or not. I would like to see... But i think he’s being challenged plenty in the ahl.

bodechek

Oct 10, 2017
I haven't seen him play enough to form an opinion, but I will not base anything from his time in Junior. After all some of us expected Jeremy Bracco to be a Leaf and that didn't happen.

genk

Nov 15, 2015
Unless there are COVID protocols preventing Robertson from joining the lineup, there's really no justifiable reason he's not in the lineup.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
He's definitely talented. He could use a bit more polish to mature his game a bit. I'd love to see him on JT's wing, but I don't want to force feed an unprepared player. Even if he did play with the big club, I don't think he would exceed 12min a game.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
I haven't seen him play enough to form an opinion, but I will not base anything from his time in Junior. After all some of us expected Jeremy Bracco to be a Leaf and that didn't happen.
Robertson was way better in junior than Bracco ever was. I don't think people understand how insane an 81 goal pace as an 18 year old on a non-stacked team is.

Last edited:
Reactions: Menzinger

Mar 26, 2010
He needs to be in the line up. I think he can contribute the same way Suzuki does for Montreal. They are comparable players.

Robertson just needs some time up with the big club to get settled and build confidence!

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

His d+1 season was near historic for a player st that level.

And while thats not a guarantee of anything, I can't name a single Leafs prospect in decades who went through a similar boom in development so quickly

Reactions: Confucius

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
His d+1 season was near historic for a player st that level.

And while thats not a guarantee of anything, I can't name a single Leafs prospect in decades who went through a similar boom in development so quickly
Exactly, its why I'm excited to see if it is for real, it's possible he is the best rookie out there. We have to play him.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
Marlies are in the west for the rest of the week.

Marlies play tonight in Calgary so if he’s in tonight, then I doubt we see him on Wednesday.

Saturday is a possibility since the Marlies will still be in Alberta.
This. Also, I have absolutely no problem with Robertson spending 10-20 games with the Marlies this season given that its a unique development opportunity that wouldn't be available to a CHL eligible player in any other year. He's spent the better part of a year training with the Leafs in camp and bubble environments with little playing time.

If Zegras can spend 9 games in the AHL (same draft year), then so can Robertson. I've watched all of his Marlie games and although he looks like an NHLer at that level, he's not outright dominating every shift and his puck management needs some maturing. The AHL is a development league and its the perfect pro environment for him to play top 6 minutes while the Leafs see what they have in Barabanov who just had his best game in a Leaf uniform.

Barabanov hasn't really earned those minutes with his play, but you almost have to honour that signing by giving him a chance or you deter future Euro FA's by cutting a guy after less than ten games with no pre-season in a 4th line role.

Reactions: The Examiner

Mar 26, 2010
Should be up with the Leafs soon I would imagine if he continues to have a strong showing in the AHL.
It is the depth in Toronto that has kept him out of the Leaf line up.

Toronto is full of injures right now, good time to get him in.

Thissiteisgarbage

Oct 14, 2014
He struggled tonight in the Marlies game. I wouldn't rush him in.

Anderson or Galeyncuk would be better bets, IMO.

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
what do i think about this kid, well i think hes better than half the forwards that dressed for us the other night, that is what i think about robertson

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad