Nick Robertson, what do you think about this Kid ?

ITM

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...
Jan 26, 2012
Cooking the prospects until they're ready is something Detroit and Tampa have done as well as anybody. Throw in Boston as well...

At 20 he's not ready for the NHL. He's ready for the AHL. All 5'9" and a 165 pounds of him.

There's zero reason to be disappointed here. Invest. Wait. Reap if possible.

We just bought Bunting and Ritchie...Forward progress without stepping back even if it's a step or two at a time is how you build contenders.

Here's wishing Robertson the best down in the A, and a get well soon, take as long as you need to, Ian Scott.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Yes, it's unfortunate. This fanbase (tbf I assume all fanbases) hype up any new thing. I think some got well ahead of themselves when evaluating Robertson. I don't think he's a surefire NHL prospect, but he very well could be. Needs a lot more time developing and hopefully the fans who've slotted him next to Matthews/Marner since his draft day can take take step back and give the guy time.

I visit every team board on this site. The Leafs fans are the worst, it at least among the worst in terms of saying X prospect is "at minimum a middle 6 forward" or whatever the outlandish claim is. I never thought Robertson was even close to a can't miss prospect. I don't think the tools are there to lay that claim. Does that mean he won't make the NHL, no, it just means I think he's in a large pool of prospects. But on this board he was seen as can't miss. Often used as a slam dunk argument that Dubas is excellent at drafting. Yet the reality is, he's just a guy, and may or may not make the NHL full time one day. Bottom line is people should pump the brakes for often than not.

Reactions: Kazparov

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
Cooking the prospects until they're ready is something Detroit and Tampa have done as well as anybody. Throw in Boston as well...

At 20 he's not ready for the NHL. He's ready for the AHL. All 5'9" and a 165 pounds of him.

There's zero reason to be disappointed here. Invest. Wait. Reap if possible.

We just bought Bunting and Ritchie...Forward progress without stepping back even if it's a step or two at a time is how you build contenders.

Here's wishing Robertson the best down in the A, and a get well soon, take as long as you need to, Ian Scott.
He’s 5’10 177lbs.

He can play in the NHL right now. Question is if he can play in a role that is beneficial for his development, and I’m not sure that’s the case right now. Top 6 might be over his head and bottom six is not preferable to 1st line Marlie minutes at this stage.

Leafs have the luxury of giving him another development year in the AHL. Luckily for him, he’ll have actual talent to play with down there this year.

ITM

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...
Jan 26, 2012
He’s 5’10 177lbs.

He can play in the NHL right now. Question is if he can play in a role that is beneficial for his development, and I’m not sure that’s the case right now. Top 6 might be over his head and bottom six is not preferable to 1st line Marlie minutes at this stage.

Leafs have the luxury of giving him another development year in the AHL. Luckily for him, he’ll have actual talent to play with down there this year.

Of course he can play bottom six minutes. The question is can he play top six given his pedigree and skill set. If he isn't being groomed for what he's anticipated/hoped for in the AHL then development per se means nothing. That's what I referenced by referencing certain organizations who essentially telescope their prospects futures and attempt to yield their potential according to assessment.

Here's hoping Nick fulfills his!

As for size update. Cheers. Something to forward along to hockeyDB.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
I'm still very high on this kid, but last season slowed his development curve. He definitely needs more seasoning in the AHL before he is ready for the big time.

Stonehands1990

Apr 2, 2021
If only this played out in reality. No playoff wins to show for this so called "weakening" of lines vs Matthews, Tavares, Marner, and Nylander. Toronto has had center depth for a few seasons now and has yet to make things challenging for an opposing coach. I've yet to see weakening of lines vs Tavares and Matthews.
That’s because we put all our talent on 2 lines. I’m literally proposing balanced scoring lines

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
That’s because we put all our talent on 2 lines. I’m literally proposing balanced scoring lines

This was Babckcock's downfall according to many people on this board.

I see your point. I just think that in regards to Keefe 'You can lead a horse to water...'

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad