Nick Robertson, what do you think about this Kid ?

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
It will be hard for Nick to produce from a complimentary role on this current roster. That wouldn't be a knock on him, Its just hard to create with limited ice time. I am hoping when he returns to health they give him a shot on the 3rd line

Robertson - Kerf - Micheyev

and when simmonds comes back run a lineup looking like:

Jumbo -Matthews - Marner
Hyman - Tavares - Willy
Robertson - Kerf - Simmonds
Micheyev - Boyd - Spezza

PP1
Rielly
Matthews - Simmonds - Marner
Thornton/Hyman

PP2
Brodie
Nylander - Tavares - Spezza
Robertson

Get Nick some reps on PP2, get him some confidence and space to rip that shot. Aside from Matthews, he has the best shot on the team

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
Hopefully, going to take awhile for that. Nick loves to control the puck, it will be hard to play with Marner, Matthews, JT and Nylander at the moment.

Might work with JT & Nylander. Aside from cycling the puck I'd rather JT not handle the puck as much. Just get into the dirty areas in front of the net or get yourself open. While Nylander is effective with the puck in his hands, having a go getter like Robertson might do him so good as well. He can also focus on getting himself open or in position to score goals in front of the net like he did last year. If Mik, JT, and Nylander can't find the short success they had last season I'd like to see what Robertson can do in that spot.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
Might work with JT & Nylander. Aside from cycling the puck I'd rather JT not handle the puck as much. Just get into the dirty areas in front of the net or get yourself open. While Nylander is effective with the puck in his hands, having a go getter like Robertson might do him so good as well. He can also focus on getting himself open or in position to score goals in front of the net like he did last year. If Mik, JT, and Nylander can't find the short success they had last season I'd like to see what Robertson can do in that spot.
If you look at a lot of Nicks goals from last season, a lot of them were either 1 timers or snipes in transition. I think he'd pair well with JT and Willy personally. Both can put the puck on a tee for him, and they can definitely snap it to him on the rush. As for in the offensive zone, I totally agree. I have always thought Willy's puck retrieval and play away from the puck is below average. Having a guy like Nick on the line, where puck pursuit is a strong point, paired with the structure of JT could really work in Willy's favor. Not to mention all 3 can put the puck in the back of the net

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Wingers are a dime a dozen and guys who don't make it instantly always worry me ... not to say wingers can't develop, they can, but if a winger can't draw into a lineup right away then there is always a risk of not making it

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Wouldn’t have been opposed to seeing Robertson with the Maple Leafs but also not against giving him 1st line, 1st PP unit duties with the Marlies. Gives him a taste of pro hockey before being thrown into the NHL full time. I would bet any money this kid is in our lineup fulltime come playoffs.

Reactions: TheGreatOne11

TheGreatOne11

Jun 29, 2009
Toronto
Imo they should take this fluke opportunity to play him in the AHL as a teenager and use it.

Let him show his stuff in the AHL and call him up if he earns it.

Very much this. Great opportunity for him to see the pro game a step behind AND have a much larger chance of success with the added minutes he'd get down there instead of up with the big club.

Depending on how he plays he gets his call up, but I'd bet money he finishes the season with the Leafs.

Reactions: zeke

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
Imo they should take this fluke opportunity to play him in the AHL as a teenager and use it.

I am ok with this. It might help take the pressure off him to produce when he gets the call up as well. We do not need Nick right now. We have a great record, and 3 games straight against the Sens. May as well give him some games down in the A to get his legs back, give him heavy minutes

Reactions: zeke

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC
It will be hard for Nick to produce from a complimentary role on this current roster. That wouldn't be a knock on him, Its just hard to create with limited ice time. I am hoping when he returns to health they give him a shot on the 3rd line

Robertson - Kerf - Micheyev

and when simmonds comes back run a lineup looking like:

Jumbo -Matthews - Marner
Hyman - Tavares - Willy
Robertson - Kerf - Simmonds
Micheyev - Boyd - Spezza

PP1
Rielly
Matthews - Simmonds - Marner
Thornton/Hyman

PP2
Brodie
Nylander - Tavares - Spezza
Robertson

Get Nick some reps on PP2, get him some confidence and space to rip that shot. Aside from Matthews, he has the best shot on the team
Please no more Kerplunk , please

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
Please no more Kerplunk , please
Lol, I think Kerfoot has gotten a bit of a raw deal this year. I really think he looks miles ahead of where he was last year. The puck is just not going in for him. He has definitely created his own bad luck this year no doubt. But he just hasn't got many bounces in his favor it seems. In fairness to Kerf, He has seen the most change game to game in terms of who is on his wing. I assume some of that instability has something to do with his kerplunkness

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
Let him play Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday with the Marlies and call him up for Saturday
Even the second game of the back-to-back against Ottawa would be good to see, provided he isn't totally overmatched on the Marlies, which is always a possibility but in his case I don't know ... just can't see his game (booming shot/smart/quick/great hands) not translating to the AHL right away.

Reactions: Teeder Keon

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site

The selfish part of me wants to see him on one of our top 2 lines yesterday but the rational part of me says you are absolutely right.

The kid is still so young, just a month or two older than Lafreniere I believe and Laf is getting killed right now for how unready he's looking.

It also wouldn't be all that bad to keep his arb rights clock being pushed back another year. Would rather pay for a full 22 year old season on an ELC than for a maybe-not-ready 19 year old season.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
The selfish part of me wants to see him on one of our top 2 lines yesterday but the rational part of me says you are absolutely right.

The kid is still so young, just a month or two older than Lafreniere I believe and Laf is getting killed right now for how unready he's looking.

It also wouldn't be all that bad to keep his arb rights clock being pushed back another year. Would rather pay for a full 22 year old season on an ELC than for a maybe-not-ready 19 year old season.

I agree with almost everything you said here. Only thing is, if he is ready to go, and Sheldon and KD think he is able to help us out now, we cannot worry about burning the first year of his ELC. He has the ability of being our "deadline deal" so to speak. Wherein we would not need to spend any draft capital/roster player/prospects to acquire our top six forward that we are suspected to be looking for. Burning a year of his ELC is far smaller a price than giving up an asset(s) for a top 6 forward. But maybe that's one way we treat Nick this year. If he cant make the top 6 play him heavy in the minors. as in, we will only burn the first year of your ELC if you can be an impact player. Not necessarily fair, but may make long term sense. My only concern would be not rewarding him for all of the hard work has put in. Nick has arguably put more work in than anyone in our system, and has sacrificed a ton to make this club. That type of effort needs rewarding in my mind. Of course he needs to show he is ready, but I do think he is. I am a bit surprised how Laf's game hasnt translated well to the NHL yet, but it would be really hard to compare how much of an impact Nick will have based off of the lack of success of another rookie. This year especially, given that they would never face the same opponents. If Nick shows the brass he is ready, you gotta give him a shot in my mind

Reactions: supermann_98

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Robertson is in the perfect situation right now that i am always complaining that wasn’t possible previously with how ohl holds rights.
Robertson plays his first Ahl game tonight. This is the perfect development track for him. Gets reps in after injury too in a safe built for success environment.
The Marlies will play him big minutes at even strength and powerplay in game situations. It’s just incredibly fortunate for us that he is going to the Ahl. Really I’m over the moon that he is with the Marlies. I don’t know if i want to watch the Leafs or Marlies game tonight. I’m actually leaning towards watching the Marlies.
Just perfect development for him for at least until the end of this month. I can’t wait to see him find his comfort level with that shot on the powerplay.
Also curious if they start giving him penalty kill reps after a handful of games. Marlies look solid. Great environment for him right now.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
I’m actually leaning towards watching the Marlies.
Just perfect development for him for at least until the end of this month. I can’t wait to see him find his comfort level with that shot on the powerplay.
Also curious if they start giving him penalty kill reps after a handful of games. Marlies look solid. Great environment for him right now.

Ya I am torn. I really want to see how Nick, Rasmus, and Timmy look. I will still watch the big boys likely, but do you happen to know where to find the Marlies games online? I am out of market in BC, just wondering if anyone here has any experience with getting Marlies content. Only time I have really made an effort to watch the Marlies was when they went to the Calder Cup and when Willy and Naz played for Marlies. Other than that i would just catch the highlights

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC
Lol, I think Kerfoot has gotten a bit of a raw deal this year. I really think he looks miles ahead of where he was last year. The puck is just not going in for him. He has definitely created his own bad luck this year no doubt. But he just hasn't got many bounces in his favor it seems. In fairness to Kerf, He has seen the most change game to game in terms of who is on his wing. I assume some of that instability has something to do with his kerplunkness
Sorry , I just don’t see it as a total package offensively , defensively, price tag , size , intelligence , hands , ( some grit , little but some )
I’ve watched him closely , and with 55 or so years of watching hockey , I just don’t see it
He could turn out to be ?? He can develop ? And I would be the first to say that he did
But for now he’s Kerplunkian
** this has nothing to do with him as a person or teammate , those are factors I certainly don’t know .. and can’t talk to ..
We need a bigger strong defensively minded option there with some offensive flair and grit and smarts
Center , Defense and goaltending , been that way forever and I think it will continue

Go Leafs Go

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad