Nick Robertson, what do you think about this Kid ?

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
Gallagher/Atkinson/Debrincat are players I think he makes a similar impact to

If he hits a next level in his development and improves his strength and acceleration he becomes Brad Marchand without the dirty rat like tendencies (less than 5% chance of this happening)
I think Atkinson is probably the best comp I’ve seen on this thread. Knack for the net, high compete level.

Reactions: Teeder Keon

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I would say he is set back with this injury and the next time he see’s a hit coming don’t turn backwards to it. Jump right up in their chest next time Robbi old kid. Take the penalty. 2 minutes is better than 2 weeks or two months or whatever injured. Disappointed he turned his back to a hit.
Who knows what he will do or even if he gets much of a chance with the Ahl scheduling showing the Marlies starting on the 15th in Manitoba.
He’s going to the Marlies.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I hope he can play to the level we just saw Hoglander play. If we get 90% of that, it is a great addition to the team this year. My question about him is, how will he adapt to playing with elite guys where he is asked to be the 3rd option among forwards or drive a 3rd line. Because that will be his situation with the Leafs.

Green Snow Storm

Jul 22, 2009
Canada
I hope he can play to the level we just saw Hoglander play. If we get 90% of that, it is a great addition to the team this year. My question about him is, how will he adapt to playing with elite guys where he is asked to be the 3rd option among forwards or drive a 3rd line. Because that will be his situation with the Leafs.
I imagine once he settles in he will be stapled to Matthews or Tavares in a year or two.

leafsfan2point0

Jun 8, 2011
I really hope he’s given a fair chance once back from injury. He has the potential to play effectively right away and add some serious secondary scoring with his elite shot.

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
I think if he hits on all cylinders he should be a high Arvidsson-type player with a better shot. I know people have really lofty comparisons in this thread thus far but I don't honestly see the edge/ nastiness in his game to compare to the Gallagher/ Marchand type. He still looks like a young kid who's just trying to fit in, over the first few games thus far in his career. Far from the dominant player he can be.

I know from an outsiders perspective this thread is going to look absolutely foolish with all these high-end comparisons but to those people, I just want to say that Leafs fans are over the moon excited about this kid because he's the first legit forward threat to come out of our prospect pool since Matthews. And because this kid has an elite compete level that should make him a heart and soul type player. We're just hoping his skill shines through. The Marchand/ Gallagher comparisons in this thread are because those guys are also high octane heart and soul guys that can emotionally drive the team. Obv, they're fantastic players both ways.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
I know from an outsiders perspective this thread is going to look absolutely foolish with all these high-end comparisons but to those people, I just want to say that Leafs fans are over the moon excited about this kid because he's the first legit forward threat to come out of our prospect pool since Matthews.

To be fair, the excitement surrounding Nick is completely warranted. The way he put the puck in the net last year was historic, and that is no where close to a hyperbole. He scored 1.2Goals/Game last year in the OHL on a slightly above average Peterbourogh Petes team. To put it in perspective, only 3 CHL players under the age of 19 years old have been able to match that rate in the last 38 years; Lindros, Sakic, and Mario. Further, only 2 OHL players under the age of 19 have scored at over 1goal/game in the last 20 years; Tavares, and Kane.

That is as elite of company as you could possibly put yourself in. I have tried to temper my excitement with this kid, because it is unfair to pencil a 19 year old as a perennial 40 goal scorer. But his resume to date, and more importantly this kids work ethic just screams tap-in gimme to me. I would not say that about any of our other prospects personally. But his impact in the league is as bit of a guarantee as Mitch and Auston's were when they broke in. I am not saying his impact will be as big as Auston and Mitch's, but I am saying he as sure of a thing as those 2 were when they broke into the league IMO. If we need to understand just how bad this kid wants to be a star in the NHL, look no further than him forgoing the WJC to try and make the Leafs as a bottom 6 player. To put it in perspective, Kirby Dach was willing to risk his whole NHL season to play in that tourny, and that's not a knock on Kirby. That's what most rationally minded kids would do. This kid is special

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC
To be fair, the excitement surrounding Nick is completely warranted. The way he put the puck in the net last year was historic, and that is no where close to a hyperbole. He scored 1.2Goals/Game last year in the OHL on a slightly above average Peterbourogh Petes team. To put it in perspective, only 3 CHL players under the age of 19 years old have been able to match that rate in the last 38 years; Lindros, Sakic, and Mario. Further, only 2 OHL players under the age of 19 have scored at over 1goal/game in the last 20 years; Tavares, and Kane.

That is as elite of company as you could possibly put yourself in. I have tried to temper my excitement with this kid, because it is unfair to pencil a 19 year old as a perennial 40 goal scorer. But his resume to date, and more importantly this kids work ethic just screams tap-in gimme to me. I would not say that about any of our other prospects personally. But his impact in the league is as bit of a guarantee as Mitch and Auston's were when they broke in. I am not saying his impact will be as big as Auston and Mitch's, but I am saying he as sure of a thing as those 2 were when they broke into the league IMO. If we need to understand just how bad this kid wants to be a star in the NHL, look no further than him forgoing the WJC to try and make the Leafs as a bottom 6 player. To put it in perspective, Kirby Dach was willing to risk his whole NHL season to play in that tourny, and that's not a knock on Kirby. That's what most rationally minded kids would do. This kid is special

very good insight

Reactions: Duckrider

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver

Look how far Aaron Dell comes out to challenge Nick's shot. Beats him absolutely clean from the top of the circle. This kid's shot is in the top 5% of the NHL already. He will have 30 goal seasons in his sleep. His passing on the other hand is nothing special, but he works so damn hard that he will get his assists just by digging out loose biscuits. It wouldn't surprise me to see him in the top 6 as early as this season. I think as a fan base we were looking for flaws in his game when he was called up to the bubble last year, almost in a this is too good to be true feel. Some people felt he went unnoticed at times, Some people said he looked weak. He was an 18 year old making his debut in the NHL playoffs. He made a bunch of little plays on the Leafs side of the red line that showed a real aptitude for breaking out the play, and registered a goal in the 4 games he did play. similar production to kapenen all while averaging ~3 less minute/game in that span. is he going to make mistakes in the show? for sure. But Willy consistently makes 2-3 boneheaded plays every game on his own side of the redline, if not more. Sit back, and enjoy the ride. This kid is a lock....BOOM BOOM

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Does anyone remember Dell didn’t move on the goal he scored on him in that blue/ white game. That shot was not from in close, it’s a complete Rocket. That’s a shot you want on the power-play manning the point. He absolutely loves that spot to shoot from.

He can skate and play good defensively to. It’s not all offense with Robertson as made out by comparisons being made in this thread. I don’t have the slightest idea how he will turn out actually. All i know is he has a toolset that’s not average in any way in his shooting,skating,work ethic,defensive awareness. He’s not a average prospect.

I just think it will be fun watching where he learns he will be best served doing his damage. He needs to find rhythm and chemistry with linemates first.

He’s completely learning every step right now. Best thing for me is he is a grinding skill player.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Hopefully he can be a consistent 20-30 goal guy with some sandpaper. I'd like to see him get some time on the PK as well, he scored a bunch of shorties in jr.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014

Look how far Aaron Dell comes out to challenge Nick's shot. Beats him absolutely clean from the top of the circle. This kid's shot is in the top 5% of the NHL already. He will have 30 goal seasons in his sleep. His passing on the other hand is nothing special, but he works so damn hard that he will get his assists just by digging out loose biscuits. It wouldn't surprise me to see him in the top 6 as early as this season. I think as a fan base we were looking for flaws in his game when he was called up to the bubble last year, almost in a this is too good to be true feel. Some people felt he went unnoticed at times, Some people said he looked weak. He was an 18 year old making his debut in the NHL playoffs. He made a bunch of little plays on the Leafs side of the red line that showed a real aptitude for breaking out the play, and registered a goal in the 4 games he did play. similar production to kapenen all while averaging ~3 less minute/game in that span. is he going to make mistakes in the show? for sure. But Willy consistently makes 2-3 boneheaded plays every game on his own side of the redline, if not more. Sit back, and enjoy the ride. This kid is a lock....BOOM BOOM

I was just mentioning in my post same time as you the velocity of his shot beating Dell. Thats a far shot and Dell was set. Then he didn’t see it, didn’t move. Thats a point shot and right now the kid needs some time to shoot until he learns a few tricks so he doesn’t have to rush his shots. Give him the time on the point and its serious trouble for defenses :)

Teeder Keon

Mar 11, 2019

BOOM BOOM Robertson

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
BOOM BOOM Robertson
It is a Boom boom too. Thats a elite Nhl shot. He just needs to learn his sweet spots to fire it kind of deal. Keefe and his teammates need to help him with that. For what i seen so far everything else about his game is good but nothing in the way of any chemistry yet. It’ll be fun when gets working with a set up guy. Either Tavares line or Matthews line eventually is where i believe he lands.
The injury really hurt his timeline.

Teeder Keon

Mar 11, 2019
It is a Boom boom too. Thats a elite Nhl shot. He just needs to learn his sweet spots to fire it kind of deal. Keefe and his teammates need to help him with that. For what i seen so far everything else about his game is good but nothing in the way of any chemistry yet. It’ll be fun when gets working with a set up guy. Either Tavares line or Matthews line eventually is where i believe he lands.
The injury really hurt his timeline.
I agree with your keen observations

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad