Former Bruins Nick Ritchie III

inactive user

Aug 20, 2020
Well deserved. He was my choice. I did consider Miller as a very close #2, but Miller has missed a number of games where I don't believe Ritchie missed any. His pummeling of Hathaway sealed it for me.
Oh yeah he deserved to win it. I was referring to whoever put the picture up as it's not Nick Ritchie, it's his big brother Brett.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

Top Shelf Wrister

Jan 16, 2017
The cries of the speed and skill only crowd is music. 15 goals, physical, good fighter. Type of player you need in the playoffs. If he ever adds consistency to his play he is a 4 or 5 million a year player.

Love some of fanbase that don't even want him protected because he isnt 5'6, 160 pounds and fast. Sorry speed and skillers but Sweeney figured out you need guys like Ritchie, Frederic, Miller, Lauzon and Clifton to have a well rounded team.
We gonna ignore the fact he played mostly
2nd line minutes all year with 1st line PP minutes too? I mean his stat line would be great if he was on the third line all year but let’s calm down a lil bit no?

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
We gonna ignore the fact he played mostly
2nd line minutes all year with 1st line PP minutes too? I mean his stat line would be great if he was on the third line all year but let’s calm down a lil bit no?

2nd line was so so (pre Hall)

On the PP you still have to execute

He has scored some valuable goals as of late.

Also two very good passes to Debrusk today. Should have been buried

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
7th player award winner.

Only Bruin to play every game.

15 goals would be a 22 goal pace over 82 games.

And it's not just PP goals. 2/3 of his goals (10 out of 15) were at even strength.

3rd among forwards in shooting %, nearly a full percentage point higher than Pastrnak. Only below Bergeron and Marchand.

1st in hits among forwards, 2nd overall on the team with 95 in 53 (148 over 82 games).

Tied for 1st among Bruins for total fights (3) with Frederic.

Has the most fights among all Bruins since he was acquired with 5.

In a league where there were only 10 guys who had more than 4 fights, and the most was one player (B.Tkachuk) with 7. So while it's not a lot of fights, it's on pace with medium-frequency fighters (guys with 3-4 fights) and is one of 42 players with 3 or more fights. Big bad Tom Wilson only has 4.

There is very little separating him and his competition (Frederic and Debrusk) for protection spots when it comes to age. Frederic is two years younger, Debrusk is less than a year. Fairly significant difference in production however.

Protecting Ritchie is a no-brainer IMO.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Congrats on Nick getting a career high 15 goals and winning the 7th player award! He definitely has proven himself to be an important part of this team.

I was rooting for Kevin Miller.

As for Ritchie, I would protect him over DeBrusk, but that's not saying much.

He has size, skill, and can throw. I also believe he has zero heart.

Reactions: Gordoff

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
7th player award winner.

And it's not just PP goals. 2/3 of his goals (10 out of 15) were at even strength.

3rd among forwards in shooting %, nearly a full percentage point higher than Pastrnak. Only below Bergeron and Marchand.

1st in hits among forwards, 2nd overall on the team with 95 in 53 (148 over 82 games).

In a league where there were only 10 guys who had more than 4 fights, and the most was one player (B.Tkachuk) with 7. So while it's not a lot of fights, it's on pace with medium-frequency fighters (guys with 3-4 fights) and is one of 42 players with 3 or more fights. Big bad Tom Wilson only has 4.

There is very little separating him and his competition (Frederic and Debrusk) for protection spots when it comes to age. Frederic is two years younger, Debrusk is less than a year. Fairly significant difference in production however.

Very well written and really puts this into perspective.
I missed the game, me and my wife were cleaning out her late mothers house today. Going back again tomorrow will be a tough one (Mothers Day), mom died in October and the family home will be sold.
Anyway, we just got in after 12 hours there and gonna try to watch the recording.
So glad for Nick Ritchie, my wife was happy for him since she voted for him.
Sounds like the B's laid off on the Rags today but oh well, the only thing important right now is staying healthy and schmearing the Crapitals on the way to the Stanley Cup Finals!:thumbu::yo:

Last edited:

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
I was rooting for Kevin Miller.

As for Ritchie, I would protect him over DeBrusk, but that's not saying much.

He has size, skill, and can throw. I also believe he has zero heart.
Don't know about that but I think his hearts idle (bpm) is always at 60 no matter the situation.

Reactions: GordonHowe

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
7th player award winner.

He's also a good passer. Fans need to get over the fact he has a calm demeanor and doesn’t act like a lunatic. He hits, fights and scores and it still isn’t enough...

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
He's also a good passer. Fans need to get over the fact he has a calm demeanor and doesn’t act like a lunatic. He hits, fights and scores and it still isn’t enough...

He is a good passer, very underrated. I also should of mentioned he's skilled enough to play on the power-play. So it's not like he's only seeing even strength minutes.

Reactions: inactive user

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
7th player award winner.

“no heart”

*fart*

I don’t know how anybody can say that with a straight face when he put in the work to completely turn his game around this season. Reeks of an agenda to me. Perhaps an inability to admit they were wrong in the past. Idk.

Pierre-MIchel

Jan 28, 2007
Exactly, players like Ritchie who don't have a smooth skating stride ans speed often are regarded as lazy but it is not always the case. I think the Bruins have a strong leadership in the room and it has rubbed on Nick and made him a better player, He cares about the team's fortune and shows up almost every game.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Exactly, players like Ritchie who don't have a smooth skating stride ans speed often are regarded as lazy but it is not always the case. I think the Bruins have a strong leadership in the room and it has rubbed on Nick and made him a better player, He cares about the team's fortune and shows up almost every game.

On his post game presser yesterday. He stated he worked with skating coach Brad Wheeler this past offseason. On explosiveness and edgework. And it has helped a little bit.

Good for him.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Right? He’s got more goals than TWilson, while playing 2nd/3rd line minutes instead of riding across from Ovechkin, he’s is a better playmaker and fighter, he’s younger, cheaper and most importantly he’s not a POS.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
7th player award winner.

Excellent post. If you put these numbers up, without attaching a name to it, and asked Bs fans if this is a player they want as a 3rd liner, I'm pretty sure you'd have near 100% of fans voting yes. To add to his numbers and physical presence, he is relatively young and still improving. He also has shown versatility in being able to be respectable on the second line, although he truly shines on the third line.

I was very happy when DS brought him to the Bs, but Nick has surpassed even my already high expectations for a third liner with a plethora of intangibles, including absurdly great hands for a guy his size. You don't let a guy like this get away unless he asks for something stupid. Anyone dogging on him a) hasn't watched him play much, b) is somehow confusing him with his brother, or 3) cannot admit they were wrong about him before the season started.

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
Has any player ever earned the 7th player award more? I thought he was too slow for the nhl. He seemed behind last season. This season he looks like a solid power forward. Very effective player.

Reactions: inactive user

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Excellent post. If you put these numbers up, without attaching a name to it, and asked Bs fans if this is a player they want as a 3rd liner, I'm pretty sure you'd have near 100% of fans voting yes. To add to his numbers and physical presence, he is relatively young and still improving. He also has shown versatility in being able to be respectable on the second line, although he truly shines on the third line.

I was very happy when DS brought him to the Bs, but Nick has surpassed even my already high expectations for a third liner with a plethora of intangibles, including absurdly great hands for a guy his size. You don't let a guy like this get away unless he asks for something stupid. Anyone dogging on him a) hasn't watched him play much, b) is somehow confusing him with his brother, or 3) cannot admit they were wrong about him before the season started.

no but his facial expression says he doesn’t care!!!!

The cancer that is Boston sports radio and it’s listeners

He kinda reminds me of NHL JD Drew. I always loved Drew as a player, wildly underrated by Sox fans because he glided around the outfield with a blank expression

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
“no heart”

*fart*

I don’t know how anybody can say that with a straight face when he put in the work to completely turn his game around this season. Reeks of an agenda to me. Perhaps an inability to admit they were wrong in the past. Idk.

I have given Ritchie credit when due this season. He won the 7the player award. Good for him.

I still feel the same way about the player.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Good for Ritchie, he had a nice season, and after a long stretch of invisible offense he did rebound down the stretch.

He is an RFA in the offseason, and I would bring him back, but won't go above 2.5 million annually for what he brings

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Has any player ever earned the 7th player award more? I thought he was too slow for the nhl. He seemed behind last season. This season he looks like a solid power forward. Very effective player.

Craig Smith deserved it more. Went from a 3rd line player on this team to solidifying himself in the top 6.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad