Former Bruins Nick Ritchie III

Bumper

Apr 16, 2018
(Only) Halfway To Everywhere
Craig's 7th deserved the old prized title. this new negative seven thing is absurd. Savard, Spooner, Donato junior, Kaberle, Peverley... running that much minus (while others on the team put up like 30 plus and averages are significantly above zero) has regularly occured during a player's final season with the team -- that needs an award?! we are an embarrassing fandom.

Lobster57

Nov 22, 2006
Victoria, BC
Craig's 7th deserved the old prized title. this new negative seven thing is absurd. Savard, Spooner, Donato junior, Kaberle, Peverley... running that much minus (while others on the team put up like 30 plus and averages are significantly above zero) has regularly occured during a player's final season with the team -- that needs an award?! we are an embarrassing fandom.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Craig Smith deserved it more. Went from a 3rd line player on this team to solidifying himself in the top 6.

Maybe its because I watched Smith on NSH, but honestly he's been what I thought he'd be. If you take his last 3 years in NSH and this year in Boston, put them at a 82 games pace....they are pretty close:

In Nashville
23G /21A/44P

In Boston
20G/29A/49P

This of course also doesn't touch on the increase in in production since Hall game to Boston, which it looks like he took roughly a 15% jump in production since Hall joined. Smith has been really good this year, but Smith was good before this year. Maybe for some he exceeded expectations, but this is what I was expecting when we signed Smith.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Nick Ritchie, Kevan Miller, Steve Kampfer were the 3 most deserving of 7th player.

Kampfer didn't play enough games and Kevan Miller while coming back to play the way he has and having improved, also lost votes because of games played.

Ask yourself if you ever expected to see Nick Ritchie get 15 goals, be on the 1st PP and play on the 2nd and 3rd line? I sure the hell didn't.

Also, given his conditioning deficit, I never expected him to get into the shape he did in such a short amount of time.

I voted for Kevan Miller but am very happy for Nick. He busted his ass and the fans recognized him for it.

I for one can't wait to see him in the playoffs and I hope he's back here next year.

To me, Nick Ritchie is exactly what a Boston Bruin is: solid worth ethic, team player, blue collar (he's a cattle rancher in the off season), no quit and doesn't take no for an answer.

Congrats again Big Ritch!

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Nick Ritchie, Kevan Miller, Steve Kampfer were the 3 most deserving of 7th player.

Kampfer didn't play enough games and Kevan Miller while coming back to play the way he has and having improved, also lost votes because of games played.

Ask yourself if you ever expected to see Nick Ritchie get 15 goals, be on the 1st PP and play on the 2nd and 3rd line? I sure the hell didn't.

Also, given his conditioning deficit, I never expected him to get into the shape he did in such a short amount of time.

I voted for Kevan Miller but am very happy for Nick. He busted his ass and the fans recognized him for it.

I for one can't wait to see him in the playoffs and I hope he's back here next year.

To me, Nick Ritchie is exactly what a Boston Bruin is: solid worth ethic, team player, blue collar (he's a cattle rancher in the off season), no quit and doesn't take no for an answer.

Good call on Kampfer - amazed how solid he's been when called upon. Couldn't ask more of the guy.

If anyones scratching their head about Ritchie winning the 7th player, theres a pretty fun read here Player Discussion - Nick Ritchie - II

MattFromFranklin

Fire Sweeney and Neely
Jun 19, 2012
Franklin, MA
Good call on Kampfer - amazed how solid he's been when called upon. Couldn't ask more of the guy.

If anyones scratching their head about Ritchie winning the 7th player, theres a pretty fun read here Player Discussion - Nick Ritchie - II
Agreed. I’ll gladly eat crow. I said before the season that he’d only make the team because he sucked less than Senyshyn and Blidh.

Bumper

Apr 16, 2018
I have always been huge on Kampfer (through multiple stints in the uniform), so this year was fulfilling in that factor. my crowy meal is Hall's to bake me -- Sweeney gets huge relief from pressures to succeed after the best deadline-time tailored haul I recall seeing this brand acquire, inclusive of the most recent cup-awarded season. here's to Kampfer over Killer when it makes good sense. (this is coming from a guy whose favorite Bruin has been Kevan for years and years.) it's too bad the team can't nominate multiple Masterton contenders. they have 'em.

Last edited:

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

Where are the Clifton fans?

He'd have been my pick.

In only 43 games he led the team in hits (106) and combined hits and blocked shots (156). Clifton was also a +10 while rarely seeing the ice with the top line or ever pairing with McAvoy.

Bumper

Apr 16, 2018
agreed on Clifton, too. such defensive depth that stars like Kampfer and Clifton can't get in is a great feeling. those dudes would likely make almost every other team's actives. as for Ritchie's next contract, I like 2.2 for two years... for any other team.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
He earned his award and he earned the contract he’s going to get. I think it’s not going to be for as little as people seem think (AAV-wise)

Reactions: Alicat

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
He's arbitration eligible, which makes things very interesting. What's the number the Bruins just walk away from and let him become a UFA?

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
3 for 3.5 mill AAV would be my offer

He’s such a unique player, you pay for unique skillsets

see Bruinsdust’s post above in regards to Wilson getting 6/31- Ritchie is definitely not getting that but he’s gonna get more than 2 mill per for 2 years like some people think. That’s probably not even gonna be close

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
3 for 3.5 mill AAV would be my offer

He’s such a unique player, you pay for unique skillsets

(see Bruinsdust’s post above in regards to Wilson getting 6/31)

Josh Anderson is another comparable. Ritchie has less goals (17 vs. 15) but more points (26 vs. 24).

Ideally the Bruins would want to avoid a 2-year deal where he becomes a UFA in 2023. So either 1-year, or 3+ is the way to go. I'd just as soon give him one year, than he's RFA in 2022 and the Bruins would be in a better position to decide where he fits into the long-term future.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Wilson coming off a 14 goal, 35 point season in 2018 (he did have very good playoff with 15 in 21 with a cup win) got 6 years and 31 million in what was his only season of significant production.

5 million over 2 years borders on insulting.
The arbitrator will likely split the difference - so he gets just under Debrusk. 2 years 7 mil ish.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
The arbitrator will likely split the difference - so he gets just under Debrusk. 2 years 7 mil ish.

Sounds about right. 3.5 on a 1-year deal seems right in the ball-park. Leaves both Ritchie and Debrusk as RFAs in 2022. I suspect if both are still here by then one would be gone that off-season unless by some miracle Debrusk or Ritchie convert to their off-wing (unlikely). This being predicated on both Hall and Marchand here and signed past 2021-22 (decent chance). Even next year, if they have Marchand/Hall, with Ritchie's development the Bruins can afford to move one of him or Debrusk for help at another position. Tough call. Based on the regular season, I'd be inclined to keep Ritchie and trade Debrusk. But the playoffs could very well change all of that.

Say you have Debrusk and Ritchie taking up 7 million, and roughly another I'll say 14 million in Hall and Marchy, 25% of your cap for your four everyday LWers seems like overkill to me.

Reactions: inactive user

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
Where are the Clifton fans?

He'd have been my pick.

In only 43 games he led the team in hits (106) and combined hits and blocked shots (156). Clifton was also a +10 while rarely seeing the ice with the top line or ever pairing with McAvoy.
yup.
he should be starting in the playoffs over Rielly in my opinion. esp against wsh.

Bumper

Apr 16, 2018
if it is Washington, Clifton and Miller are available to play the hitting game, yeah, but they'd both step in on the right without pushing anybody else off the depth chart. having Kampfer so easily fitting in for occasional substitutions makes that call easy I think, saving his inclusion for after-Washington scenarios. it's Zboril that could sub in on the left. Clifton deserved a strong showing in the award voting, but the expectations of him and his playing time intentions cursed his chances much as they at another end of icetime and role predictions excluded Smith. to me the lame thing for Ritchie is that he also met expectations for the most part and found himself as the guy in the role that this embarrassing spare-tire-pumping award allows for. let's start a hometowner award for guys whose names end in -agner while we are at it. bleh.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad