Former Bruins Nick Ritchie III

Son of Donegal

Stay-at-home defenseman with zero upside.
Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
To put things in perspective:

Josh Anderson - 17g, 7a, 24pts , -10, 38 pims
Nick Ritchie - 15g, 11a, 26 pts -7, 37 pims

At face value, Ritchie is at least as impactful or more considering he is not called on to be a top 6 forward and his cap hit is basically a pittance.

Ritchie is making <$1.5m this year and is due a raise. But, I have to imagine Sweeney comes in WAY below Josh Anderson's $5.5m not just in cap hit, but in term. I will not even try to elucidate what he will get as this is COVID and no one is handing out big cap hits and term for mid-six forwards...but I assume the Bruins have their price point and that is that.

Bottom line, if you are complaining about Ritchie at $1.45m, look around. He is giving the Bruins something that most teams lack and those who have it have paid a premium to get it.

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
Ritchie did exceed my expectations this year, but I probably would have gone Miller or Swayman for the 7th player award.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
If the Bruins are to beat the Caps Ritchie the key for me.

He needs to step up his physical play and go toe to toe with Wilson. Hockey a team sport and you need to make whatever sacrifice you can, in order to get you through to the next round.

Ritchie along with Miller is one of the few regulars who can slow Wilson down. The Caps feed off Wilsons energy and the way he bullies other teams around and I feel Ovie just gets so ramped up when he knows Wilson there to have his back, and that, if possible makes Ovi even more dangerous.

For me you need to stand up to the bully not skate away, sure pick your spots, but you need to let him know your not backing down and your going to be there to answer the bell at all times and more importantly make him answer it.

Ritchie has the abilities to do this and he needs to start playing this way or the Bruins are going to get run out of the rink.

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
If the Bruins are to beat the Caps Ritchie the key for me.

He needs to step up his physical play and go toe to toe with Wilson. Hockey a team sport and you need to make whatever sacrifice you can, in order to get you through to the next round.

Ritchie along with Miller is one of the few regulars who can slow Wilson down. The Caps feed off Wilsons energy and the way he bullies other teams around and I feel Ovie just gets so ramped up when he knows Wilson there to have his back, and that, if possible makes Ovi even more dangerous.

For me you need to stand up to the bully not skate away, sure pick your spots, but you need to let him know your not backing down and your going to be there to answer the bell at all times and more importantly make him answer it.

Ritchie has the abilities to do this and he needs to start playing this way or the Bruins are going to get run out of the rink.

He was pretty steadfast in looking the other way when Wilson tried to go nose to nose with him last night.

As long as he parks himself in front of the net and does his thing, he'll be useful. I don't think he has the fire in his belly to be what you are looking for.

Reactions: inactive user

Riley 88

Jan 24, 2020
I am one who thinks Sweeney is bad......But Ritchie has been a great move...I want to see more hitting vs Washington......But This guy is still young and have great hands and brute strength....He needs to be signed...

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
He was pretty steadfast in looking the other way when Wilson tried to go nose to nose with him last night.

As long as he parks himself in front of the net and does his thing, he'll be useful. I don't think he has the fire in his belly to be what you are looking for.
That's what I mean by making sacrifices. he needs to find that fire in his belly, because yes he did look the other way from Wilson on a couple of occasions last night and that's just unacceptable from him.

He's an NHLer and he can bring that to the table and he chooses not to. That's just wrong in my eyes his teammates are counting on him to step up and have their backs, that's what makes a winning team every player doing what their capable of doing for one another and if Ritchie doesn't do this, I feel the series is over.

He can be the great neutralizer. I just hope he chooses to be and not just a passenger. he needs to realize his role on this team and the only reason he gets his points on the pp is because of those highly skilled guys he's out there with. Now he needs to step up and do what ever it takes to protect them and send a message to to the Caps.

Reactions: inactive user

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Nobody has ever “neutralized” Tom Wilson, I don’t know how hard this is for people to understand. He’s going to do Tom Wilson things unless he gets his head taken off by a dirty hit and isn’t playing

I did not see a team that was intimidated last night, I saw a team that made dumb mistakes and played sloppy hockey (mixed in with some bad luck)

TimThomas24

Jun 13, 2013
For whatever reason Ritchie doesn’t play to his size. He could be an absolute force like Lucic was. But he chooses not to be. Not sure if we’ll ever see that side of him if we haven’t yet.

Reactions: TCB

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Nobody has ever “neutralized” Tom Wilson, I don’t know how hard this is for people to understand. He’s going to do Tom Wilson things unless he gets his head taken off by a dirty hit and isn’t playing

I did not see a team that was intimidated last night, I saw a team that made dumb mistakes and played sloppy hockey (mixed in with some bad luck)

I guess ill disagree with this one. Sure you cant stop Tom Wilson from being Tom Wilson but you can sure neutralize him, by making him answer the bell repeatedly and giving your team a lift by them knowing you have their backs.

Id take Wilson off the ice for 5 minutes in the box because Ritchie had the balls to go toe- toe with him. Instead of Wilson running around and putting the bruins through the boards. Any time Wilson is in the box or sitting out a 10 minute misconduct for me that's neutralizing him. Just to sit by and do nothing saying we can't neutralize a Tom Wilson is horse donkey.

It will make every capital play like he's 2 inches taller and 15 pounds bigger. Wilson will still be Wilson but standing up to him sends a message not only to your team but to the other team as well.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I guess ill disagree with this one. Sure you cant stop Tom Wilson from being Tom Wilson but you can sure neutralize him, by making him answer the bell repeatedly and giving your team a lift by them knowing you have their backs.

Id take Wilson off the ice for 5 minutes in the box because Ritchie had the balls to go toe- toe with him. Instead of Wilson running around and putting the bruins through the boards. Any time Wilson is in the box or sitting out a 10 minute misconduct for me that's neutralizing him. Just to sit by and do nothing saying we can't neutralize a Tom Wilson is horse donkey.

It will make every capital play like he's 2 inches taller and 15 pounds bigger. Wilson will still be Wilson but standing up to him sends a message not only to your team but to the other team as well.

ok and what if Tom Wilson goes “no idiot I’m not fighting it’s the playoffs”....?

Then you just brought the capitals PP up to the plate in a meaningful game, congratulations. He would get shit on for that as well.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
From what I saw in game 1, Ritchie was using his size and was strong along the boards. Wilson actually wanted no part of Ritchie the few times they were along the boards together. In fact, one time Wilson turned around after a whistle and saw it was Ritchie, and decided to skate away. Wilson is a complete spot picker. In a game in which I was livid that not enough Bs were getting into the middle and crashing the net for putbacks on Anderson's many rebounds, Ritchie was camped out near the crease a good part of the night, and even got a goal because of it. Ritchie is not going to chase guys around the ice looking for trouble, but he does use his size along the boards and around the net. I think he plays within his skill set, then uses his size when needed. For a third liner, I'm ok with that. I'm sure he'd have no problem fighting a few of the pukes on the Caps, but it takes two to tango, and so far there is no reason for him to get a foolish instigator.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
ok and what if Tom Wilson goes “no idiot I’m not fighting it’s the playoffs”....?

you just brought the capitals PP up to the plate in a meaningful game, congratulations

Tom Wilson , I just don't see that happening. Twice in last nights game he gave Ritchie the look as if to say lets go and both times Ritchie skated away.

He's a hot head and if he doesn't accept then you run Backstrom and Carlson as hard and as often as possible, but there's no way I don't see Wilson not being goaded into a fight.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kalus

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

agreed and a team who made life incredibly easy for Anderson by not hitting the bloody net

Reactions: CDJ

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
From what I saw in game 1, Ritchie was using his size and was strong along the boards. Wilson actually wanted no part of Ritchie the few times they were along the boards together. In fact, one time Wilson turned around after a whistle and saw it was Ritchie, and decided to skate away. Wilson is a complete spot picker. In a game in which I was livid that not enough Bs were getting into the middle and crashing the net for putbacks on Anderson's many rebounds, Ritchie was camped out near the crease a good part of the night, and even got a goal because of it. Ritchie is not going to chase guys around the ice looking for trouble, but he does use his size along the boards and around the net. I think he plays within his skill set, then uses his size when needed. For a third liner, I'm ok with that. I'm sure he'd have no problem fighting a few of the pukes on the Caps, but it takes two to tango, and so far there is no reason for him to get a foolish instigator.
lol

I saw just the opposite normally I agree with most of your assessments but I clearly saw Ritchie avoid Wilson on two different occassions last night, not the other way around.

As far as Wilson being a spot picker, no doubt he has been at times at least when Ryan Reeves is on the ice. lol.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

Then you just brought the capitals PP up to the plate in a meaningful game, congratulations. He would get shit on for that as well.

Yep, stay out of the box but answer every big hit.

Simple.

Reactions: CDJ

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
lol

I saw just the opposite normally I agree with most of your assessments but I clearly saw Ritchie avoid Wilson on two different occassions last night, not the other way around.

As far as Wilson being a spot picker, no doubt he has been at times at least when Ryan Reeves is on the ice. lol.
I must have missed those occasions you are referring to (I was about to puke half the game, so undoubtedly I missed some things). The one time I saw them almost get into something beyond the usual small stuff was on the right side boards, and Wilson turned around (with a ref right there) while mouthing something, then saw it was Ritchie and piped down while skating away. I would hope that if Wilson wants to go with Ritchie that Ritchie would accept, and I think there is no doubt he would oblige Wilson. I don't think Wilson wants any part of Ritchie though.

Reactions: TCB

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
I love me some Nick Ritchie but Wilson is objectively a better hockey player than him. It’s the playoffs and I don’t see Wilson making that trade off unless a game is out of hand

Wilson isn't afraid of anyone outside of Reeves, Johnson, and maybe a few other guys. Ritchie inspires no fear in him. Frederic will bother him and at best get beaten in order to take him off the ice for 5 minutes.

Like ~25 other teams in the league, the Bruins have no answer for Wilson.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad