NHL to make announcement on Return to Play Plan at 4:30 p.m. ET NBCSN, SN, NHLN, TVAS

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I like that lottery format. Makes it up to the teams that "would've" made the playoffs but have to play in the qualifying round by essentially increasing their lottery odds if they lose.

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
I'm confused. Can only one team that loses in the play-in rounds win the lottery, or can multiple?

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Say they do phase 1 and 2nd overall pick is won by an unknown 8-15 team. Phase 2 is another lottery to determine which losing team gets that pick. They have to do that after because they don't know who those teams will be at the time of lottery 1. All odds in the 2nd draw are equal.

I hate this unless my team wins the pick.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Since I assume the lottery reps would all have to watch the official draw via video conference rather than be locked into a physical room the odds of a leak are increased.

So could we get a live lottery draw with the odds live on screen as the balls are drawn? Would make for some fun drama, especially when you reach ball 4 with the 7 known teams rooting for a specific ball while the 16 play in teams will be rooting for a ball to come up that leave the pick for draw 2.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
One thing is for sure. If this ever does go down and play out fully the 20-21 season will be shortended

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Like what?

There seems to be literally no fighting here.

they have not agreed to anything besides that which we already did no know about--99% of what he said was reported last week, one would think there would have been some movement on some subjects

the fact we do not know the HUB cities tells me that is where the battle ground is

Sep 19, 2008
Trying to figure out the draft lottery

source.gif
961710.jpg

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Say they do phase 1 and 2nd overall pick is won by an unknown 8-15 team. Phase 2 is another lottery to determine which losing team gets that pick. They have to do that after because they don't know who those teams will be at the time of lottery 1. All odds in the 2nd draw are equal.

For the sake of fan sanity, they better not release who wins the lottery if a playoff team wins 1st overall and then that pick goes into the phase 2 lottery and that team doesn't get the pick since their odds are only 12.5%.

Imagine releasing that info, say the Flames win 1st overall, lose their series against the Jets and then lose the 2nd lottery. Flames fans/ownership would riot.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
It might just be the quality of their hookup but it sounds like a kid is taking slapshots in Bettman's house somewhere.

stan the caddy

Sep 27, 2011
Still no time frame?

I read teams were going to allow players into practice facilities in small groups in early June.

This playoff adds an extra round to a process that already takes 2 months and then they need a draft and free agency. They've practically run out of all their time already unless they're fine with delaying next season.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Yeah I misunderstood, I thought phase 2 was basically just a 2nd lottery.

Having equal lottery odds for all teams eliminated in the play-in is really weird, though.

Not really. It punishes the Chicagos and the Montreals and throws a bit of make-up odds to the Pittsburghs and Edmontons for having to compete to "make the playoffs" in the first place.

Doesn't completely make up for it, but is a nice bone to toss their way for going from a playoff spot to this new format. "We know, it gives you a chance to end up missing the playoffs, but if that does happen we'll boost your lottery odds".

TheBuriedHab

Jan 27, 2010
Still no time frame?

I read teams were going to allow players into practice facilities in small groups in early June.

This playoff adds an extra round to a process that already takes 2 months and then they need a draft and free agency. They've practically run out of all their time already unless they're fine with delaying next season.

Most likely next season doesn't start until December.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Clarified. Panthers need to beat Tampa to get their first series win in ages. If they beat the Isles the NHL is evidently not considering it a “series”

BTO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 20, 2019
The Big Smoke (unfortunately)
Not real happy about this round robin for reseeding the top-four teams. IMO Bos is the clear #1 seed in the East. Now we have to beat both St. L and Wash to get the #1 seed.

edit: TB not St. L lol. Till the Final anyway.

Last edited:

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
AM34 so close to getting to the Leafs record for single season goals. Darn.

yeah it's complete BS too. Top 3 separated by a single goal. Congrats to Pasta and Ovi (wow) on another rocket, but sucks not feeling these trophies are complete. Some wouldn't really change in the games remaining (Selke, Norris, etc) but some would for sure that are pure numbers based.

Reactions: robertmac43

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
My only potential issue is in a normal draft lottery if lets say team 10 wins lottery 1 their remaining combinations are removed and allocated as a redraw. With 8-15 all being groups odds if they win 1 draw are any of their combinations allocated redraws as they normally would, or do they have the same combos moving into other draws. Or can they only win 1 pick as a group and then all their combos are redraws?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad