NHL to make announcement on Return to Play Plan at 4:30 p.m. ET NBCSN, SN, NHLN, TVAS

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
That's true :D

And hey falling from 1 to 4 got us Cale Makar and Bowen Byram, so it's not the worst thing in the world. But the draft lottery will piss you off to no end.

Yeah, you and Vancouver did well with the falling. Detroit is yet to be seen with Seider, Rasmussen, and Zadina but it's still super frustrating that the worst team in the league's history is likely going to pick 4th overall in this draft.

Metroid

Слава Україні!!
Sep 6, 2006
Hellmouth
Wow so the pens have a shot at winning the lottery if they lose to the habs? That certainly makes this bs play-in more palatable.

I would assume that if Pittsburgh were to lose to Montreal and NOT win the lottery, they would end up with the 15th pick due to their regular season record. Still, it is a nice consolation prize to have a chance at the top 3 picks.

Am I crazy or don't the Wild have the Pens 1st rounder this year in the Zucker trade? Or was there a condition? Did a quick Google and could not find one.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Yeah, you and Vancouver did well with the falling. Detroit is yet to be seen with Seider, Rasmussen, and Zadina but it's still super frustrating that the worst team in the league's history is likely going to pick 4th overall in this draft.

Yeah I feel you man. After our 48 point season our consolation prize was to lose the lottery and watch Dallas jump us, it was rage inducing. Blame Edmonton.

Kegsey

Defense be scared, Hertl coming.
Oct 20, 2011
Canada
That's good news IMO.

It means that the draft will be after the season concludes and will mostly be business as usual at that point. The only difference is that teams that are currently "playoff" teams, like Pittsburgh, could end up in the lottery due to the play-in round.
It will be after the qualifying round at least.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Am I crazy or don't the Wild have the Pens 1st rounder this year in the Zucker trade? Or was there a condition? Did a quick Google and could not find one.

According to Cap Friendly, the condition is if the Penguins miss the playoffs, they have the option of giving up the 2021 1st round pick instead.

This is probably something that the league will have to figure out. Does losing in the play-in round constitute missing the playoffs? I would assume yes.

RandR

May 15, 2011
Forget the lack of fans.

The lack of booing when Bettman hands the cup to the winning team this summer will be the weirdest experience. Maybe the players can take over and boo him instead?
I vote for the "bunch of jerks" Hurricanes to lose in the final and organize a ritual boo at centre ice when Bettman starts to speak.

Reactions: MCB and dukeofjive

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
Shayna Goldman. She writes a lot of analytics-based articles for the Athletic.

Thanks -

While it definitely is not still clear, this leads me to believe the play ins are not considered playoffs. But maybe they will be considered regular season games.

Important distinction for a few reasons. 1 - players only earn their full pay cheque for regular season games 2 - points totals, player bonuses 3 - conditional trades, ex. Player must play X amount of games to receive this pick

Metroid

Слава Україні!!
Sep 6, 2006
Hellmouth
According to Cap Friendly, the condition is if the Penguins miss the playoffs, they have the option of giving up the 2021 1st round pick instead.

This is probably something that the league will have to figure out. Does losing in the play-in round constitute missing the playoffs? I would assume yes.
Ahhh ok gotcha! Thanks!

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I highly doubt this means hockey is 100% back. It seems like a presser to touch base with the fans, format detail plan, draft lottery etc. IF they return. Still lots of hurdles to overcome to give the go ahead to play.
When/if Bettman announces an actual return to play date (Phase 3) then we can get excited but this still has a chance of not happening IMO.

Reactions: Voight

Pitaya

Prince of the Alps, Nico Hischier
Dec 14, 2019
maybe for next season too we can have every team play a 5-game series to determine playoff seeding! No need to bother with a regular season. And then when all those teams that lose are sad they lost their chance they never deserved, lets give them some more with free lottery odds!

KeyserSoze81

Mar 1, 2007
Rochester, NY
I will absolutely not be happy if Edmonton/Pittsburgh get ANOTHER franchise player at 1st overall despite actually being good teams this time :laugh:

If I were a Buffalo/NJ fan I’d be fuming right now.

Buffalo fan here: I am conditioned to being a fan of a garbage team in an incredibly poorly run league. My only entertainment is learning about the newest way that the team and the league can disappoint the loyal fans. At least this is creative - we are in 25th place when 24 teams get to play, and somehow still have to compete with 14 other teams in the draft lottery.

We will just have to see what the writers come up with next year - I am betting that a Lake Erie tsunami is imminent.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Thanks -

While it definitely is not still clear, this leads me to believe the play ins are not considered playoffs. But maybe they will be considered regular season games.

Important distinction for a few reasons. 1 - players only earn their full pay cheque for regular season games 2 - points totals, player bonuses 3 - conditional trades, ex. Player must play X amount of games to receive this pick

I don't think they'll be counted as regular season games. The stats are already skewed by not all teams playing the same number of games. I doubt they would muddy them further by includes games where only 16 of 31 are playing.

Regarding the players salaries, they already agreed to not take their final paycheck, to reduce escrow/pay back based on lower revenues. Yes, some might miss out on bonuses as a result, but I doubt there are many players that are affected. That's probably something the player can work out with the team or, if necessary, and arbitrator.

The league might determine that these games will count toward any games played conditions.

Pitaya

Dec 14, 2019
The play-in teams had a lottery chance prior to the stoppage. Makes sense that they have one coming out of it too.
Thats fine, then no play-in games and seed playoffs by point %

Or I get it, you get to bend the rules to make it work in your favor but not me right?

Im praying Pittsburgh loses play-in and wins the 1st overall so everyone can feel my pain as a team not included in any of these fancy handouts

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria

Or I get it, you get to bend the rules to make it work in your favor but not me right?

Im praying Pittsburgh loses play-in and wins the 1st overall so everyone can feel my pain as a team not included in any of these fancy handouts

What is the logic behind that first suggestion, though? You appear to be alluding to a contradiction or double standard that doesn't exist.

The play-in games, though obviously not a perfect substitute, are meant to represent the stretch run during which teams may have fallen out of or jumped into the playoff picture. This lottery system is consistent with that.

Reactions: kladorf2005

Pitaya

Dec 14, 2019
What is the logic behind that first suggestion, though? You appear to be alluding to a contradiction or double standard that doesn't exist.

The play-in games, though obviously not a perfect substitution, are meant to represent the stretch run during which teams may have fallen out of or jumped into the playoff picture. This lottery system is consistent with that.
So were going to pretend a team 5-points out had as much a chance as making it as a 5-game series?

You dont seriously think that right?

Teams being told to play for a chance at the playoffs should be completely voided from the lottery. Theyre already getting special permission to try for the playoffs when , in reality, it should be point% based.

kingsholygrail

Banana Split 1-1
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia

The play-in games, though obviously not a perfect substitute, are meant to represent the stretch run during which teams may have fallen out of or jumped into the playoff picture. This lottery system is consistent with that.
It doesn't represent shit. They're going to contract the last 20 or so games into a short 5 game series? That's hardly representative of the stretch run at all. Before you ask if I have any other suggestions, I don't, because this is unprecedented. But honestly, they'd have been better off finishing the season than spending months trying to find a substitute. You're wasting just as much time for a result that is never going to be accepted as legitimate.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
I highly doubt this means hockey is 100% back. It seems like a presser to touch base with the fans, format detail plan, draft lottery etc. IF they return. Still lots of hurdles to overcome to give the go ahead to play.
When/if Bettman announces an actual return to play date (Phase 3) then we can get excited but this still has a chance of not happening IMO.
Why? UFC has come back, the first PGA golf tournament was 2 weeks ago.

kladorf2005

Apr 20, 2018

You see what you want to see. It's clear you hate the Pens. So you create this hypothetical scenario, that in your head, means the Pens were given a "fancy handout"

When in reality, your takeaway from that scenario ignores the fact that the Pens were firmly in the top 16 with very little chance of missing the playoffs. That chance of missing the playoffs has just drastically increased.

So the trade-off is to give every non-playoff team a crack at the lottery. But all you see is a world where the Pens lose to the Habs and are then given fancy handouts. Never mind the fact that teams like the Habs and Hawks who had no shot at the cup this year, now have a shot at the cup they would not have otherwise had. (albeit a very small chance - similar to the chance of the Pens winning the lottery)

I bet next you're going to tell us how this whole pandemic is just a ruse orchestrated by the Pens and the NHL to hand another franchise player to Pittsburgh? :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad