NHL to make announcement on Return to Play Plan at 4:30 p.m. ET NBCSN, SN, NHLN, TVAS

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I'm confused. Can only one team that loses in the play-in rounds win the lottery, or can multiple?

It depends on the results of the phase 1 lottery. If teams A through H (picks 8-15) win all 3 lotteries, then the 8 play-in losers will have a lottery for all 3 picks, each with an equal chance to win.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The only thing in this draft lottery that doesn't make sense to me is this, why do all teams eliminated in the play-in round have the same odds for that pick? The rest makes sense, but putting all of the teams eliminated on equal footing for that pick doesn't make sense.

Reactions: 555Upstairs

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
they have not agreed to anything besides that which we already did no know about--99% of what he said was reported last week, one would think there would have been some movement on some subjects

the fact we do not know the HUB cities tells me that is where the battle ground is

Or you know, local, provincial/state/federal government approval. Canadians and Americans can't even travel between countries right now.

Not having HUB cities is because at this moment no city has medical approval to play sports. You're searching for a fight that isn't there.

Reactions: kladorf2005

kingsholygrail

Almost there.. 38-23-11
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
Pasternak and Ovechkin share the Rocket Trophy, 48 goals each. Matthews missed out at 47 goals.

So another Rocket for Ovy.

Edit: just looked at games played. Though Ovy and Pasta both have 48 goals, Ovy did it in 2 less games, so I wonder if they'll award it to him solely since he did in 68 games whereas Pasta did it in 70.
Eh, the award is for the results at the end of the season. Since they both tied, they both get it. It's the fairest way to do it since the scheduling is completely out of their hands. Too many what ifs for those remaining missing games.

Canadians and Americans can't even travel between countries right now.
Actually, Trump announced opening the borders for athletes last week, IIRC.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
For the sake of fan sanity, they better not release who wins the lottery if a playoff team wins 1st overall and then that pick goes into the phase 2 lottery and that team doesn't get the pick since their odds are only 12.5%.

Imagine releasing that info, say the Flames win 1st overall, lose their series against the Jets and then lose the 2nd lottery. Flames fans/ownership would riot.

I don't think there's any "Team X wins the pick" it will be "The unknown 8-15 group wins the pick", whether the have certain combinations locked down in normal groups to have combinations to remove after 1 wins is unknown but specific teams won't be attached to those combinations in phase 1 it will just be the 8-15 group.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
The only thing in this draft lottery that doesn't make sense to me is this, why do all teams eliminated in the play-in round have the same odds for that pick? The rest makes sense, but putting all of the teams eliminated on equal footing for that pick doesn't make sense.

It's like their pooling all their odds from phase 1 to group together to steal a top 3 pick and then giving everyone a fair share to win said pick. I kind of like it as long as they don't tell anyone who actually won that pick because then it would get super messy.

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
So the 8th Last Place team gets a free shot at making the playoffs while they were clearly out and still only get a .5% chance less than the 7th placed team at getting #1.
that’s some bullshit right there.

nilan30

Jan 14, 2004
So how will they get all these games in each day? When they get to 16 teams will there be two east and two west games each night. Will there be games during the day or will some Eastern conference games be 1030 pm starts?

I kind of thought they’d put a mix of east and west teams in each city and play the east games at 6 and west at 11 in each arena or something like that.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
My only potential issue is in a normal draft lottery if lets say team 10 wins lottery 1 their remaining combinations are removed and allocated as a redraw. With 8-15 all being groups odds if they win 1 draw are any of their combinations allocated redraws as they normally would, or do they have the same combos moving into other draws. Or can they only win 1 pick as a group and then all their combos are redraws?

They are in all three lottos.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
So essentially the best odds to win the first overall pick is the group of teams that lose the play-in series?

They have a combined percentage of less than like 20% between the 8 of them. Ottawa has the best percentage since they're at 2 and 3.

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
No training camps until July!? Why? They're all going to be in isolation....surely they don't need a month+ to get training camps going.

BringTheReign

Jul 3, 2008
San Diego

I believe the thought is that since their seeding will effectively be reset from the regular season, they all have an "equal" opportunity to advance into the playoffs. I get that some face tougher opponents, but since half were going to miss anyways, I think this is where they're trying to make up for the "unfairness" of them missing out on the lottery completely given other proposed scenarios.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
The quality of play mixed with the amount of injuries that will happen is going to be absurd to watch.. these players have never gone this long without skating in their lives and have never gone this long not being at high end offseason training facilities in their lives... I actually feel bad for the position these guys will be put in

SympathyForTheDevils

Feb 22, 2010
Quebec City
This all seems fine.

The phase 2 lottery is interesting. They could have simply slotted the losers of qualifiers in reverse pts % and proceeded that way. What they did instead benefits the higher-seeded qualifiers at the expense of the lower-seeded qualifiers (like, say, Chicago or Montreal if they lose).

The fact that they did it suggests that the NHL may be trying to compensate for the perception that those teams (Chicago, Montreal, Arizona ...) are the big winners of the new format.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
So how will they get all these games in each day? When they get to 16 teams will there be two east and two west games each night. Will there be games during the day or will some Eastern conference games be 1030 pm starts?

I kind of thought they’d put a mix of east and west teams in each city and play the east games at 6 and west at 11 in each arena or something like that.

They could especially be in trouble if they can’t find a western city. Sisolak might be getting bribes soon from the NHL

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I personally would want to award Detroit, Ottawa and Ottawa (SJ pick) respectively with pick 1, 2 and 3. Unless the NHL rigs it so a team they want to win gets the pick.

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
They have a combined percentage of less than like 20% between the 8 of them. Ottawa has the best percentage since they're at 2 and 3.

24.5% chance unless I'm mistaken, but yeah, Ottawa has a higher chance.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Not really. It punishes the Chicagos and the Montreals and throws a bit of make-up odds to the Pittsburghs and Edmontons for having to compete to "make the playoffs" in the first place.

Doesn't completely make up for it, but is a nice bone to toss their way for going from a playoff spot to this new format. "We know, it gives you a chance to end up missing the playoffs, but if that does happen we'll boost your lottery odds".

I think this is actually a really good justification. This throws a bone to the teams getting hurt by having to play in the play-in round, while hurts the teams who shouldn't be in the play-in round but are.

Reactions: Anton Dubinchuk

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
I think the reason they gave all the phase 2 lottery teams equal chances at winning the 8-15 lottery is to help compensate teams that would have made the playoffs but lost in the play-in rounds.

It actually seems pretty smart.

Reactions: Anton Dubinchuk

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->