League News: NHL Talk - (News n' Scores n' Stuff) - COVID Offseason Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Which part of "big if" is a "no brainer"?

It's a "big if" because I am not privy to Jack Eichel's medical information so I can only speak in hypotheticals. However, any team that is looking to acquire Eichel presumably will have access to his medical records and will be working with much more information than I am.

If, after reviewing Eichel's situation, the doctors are confident that he'll make a full recovery and that his surgery will likely not impact his playing career, then it's a no-brainer to try to acquire him due to what is likely to be a low acquisition price for a very high-impact player in the prime of his career.

Reactions: Hivemind

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
It's a "big if" because I am not privy to Jack Eichel's medical information so I can only speak in hypotheticals. However, any team that is looking to acquire Eichel presumably will have access to his medical records and will be working with much more information than I am.

If, after reviewing Eichel's situation, the doctors are confident that he'll make a full recovery and that his surgery will likely not impact his playing career, then it's a no-brainer to try to acquire him due to what is likely to be a low acquisition price for a very high-impact player in the prime of his career.

I don't know the answer to this but I would not assume a team simply inquiring about a player's availability is going to be given detailed medical records. It's probably safer to surmise they are NOT always privy to such information, hence the physical and medical checks that take place when a player is acquired (and that sometimes result in nullified deals).

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I don't know the answer to this but I would not assume a team simply inquiring about a player's availability is going to be given detailed medical records. It's probably safer to surmise they are NOT always privy to such information, hence the physical and medical checks that take place when a player is acquired (and that sometimes result in nullified deals).

I imagine that teams will get a better idea of his health status than what is currently public, but yes perhaps they will not get access to his full medical records until after a trade is made in principle. And as you said, if the physical afterwards shows that something is out of whack then the trade can be nullified.

Either way these medical records should also be aggressively pursued prior to the trade because the opportunity to acquire a player of this talent-level is very rare.

I'm no hotshot big-city NHL General Manager, but I say go for it!

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
Only way the Caps have a shot at Eichel is to find a Kuzy trade partner with a buttload of futures. A big ass buttload.

And you have to guarantee the Eichel trade or another C trade if that's the case. Can't be caught without a comparable C.

It doesn't seem like Eichel will even be ready at the start of the season unless he gets the surgery he wants right this instant. And no one disagrees that he needs surgery. The disagreement is in the type of surgery.

The Buffalo Sabres preferred surgery (disc fusion) is 6 months recovery. His preferred surgery (disc replacement) is 2-3 months. Each has risks.

Last edited:
Reactions: max21

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
Wonder if we could pull a “give us Eichel and we won’t ask for his medical records, we give you kuzy and you don’t ask about his night life.”

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I imagine that teams will get a better idea of his health status than what is currently public, but yes perhaps they will not get access to his full medical records until after a trade is made in principle. And as you said, if the physical afterwards shows that something is out of whack then the trade can be nullified.

Either way these medical records should also be aggressively pursued prior to the trade because the opportunity to acquire a player of this talent-level is very rare.

I'm no hotshot big-city NHL General Manager, but I say go for it!

Just shaking my head.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Wonder if we could pull a “give us Eichel and we won’t ask for his medical records, we give you kuzy and you don’t ask about his night life.”

What’s so objectionable about enjoying the theater, participating in an amateur astronomy club, and holding board-game nights with the neighbors while enjoying new wines and cheeses? :huh:

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA

That’s a little naive man. If his health isn’t an issue, then his value won’t be repressed. It won’t work both ways. Never does

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
That’s a little naive man. If his health isn’t an issue, then his value won’t be repressed. It won’t work both ways. Never does

I mean aren’t the bridges already burned? Eichel remaining in Buffalo is no longer a tenable situation and they are racing against the clock with Eichel’s NMC kicking in next offseason. They have an incentive to sell, and there won’t necessarily be a bunch of teams lining up to trade for him because they won’t have the cap or roster space to fit him in. It doesn’t seem like these are the conditions to get an ideal return from Buffalo’s point of view.

I’m not saying he’s going to go for a second round pick and a dead-end prospect, but maybe the ask will be closer to 3 first round picks or their equivalent? That’s a price I’d be happy to pay if I were Washington, again provided a good health prognosis.

Reactions: max21

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
I mean aren’t the bridges already burned? Eichel remaining in Buffalo is no longer a tenable situation and they are racing against the clock with Eichel’s NMC kicking in next offseason. They have an incentive to sell, and there won’t necessarily be a bunch of teams lining up to trade for him because they won’t have the cap or roster space to fit him in. It doesn’t seem like these are the conditions to get an ideal return from Buffalo’s point of view.

I’m not saying he’s going to go for a second round pick and a dead-end prospect, but maybe the ask will be closer to 3 first round picks or their equivalent? That’s a price I’d be happy to pay if I were Washington, again provided a good health prognosis.
NJ, LA, ANA. DET etc etc can all weigh in.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
NJ, LA, ANA. DET etc etc can all weigh in.

Of course they can. But I imagine some other teams who may have been interested prior to free agency might not be interested any more, for instance. And the longer this saga drags on the more I’d expect even more teams to drop out of contention for his services.

We’ll see what the final price ends up being but I suspect it’ll be far less than what Buffalo is currently asking for, which honestly isn’t even that unreasonable of an ask for a player of his talent.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
A reminder for scale.

hi-res-32d8beee218a904d08656b0a835cf9d8_crop_north.jpg

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
Seattle signed Grubby, Schwartz and Wennberg.

They have solid goaltending and a decent defence. Should be a bit offensively challenged but overall, I think Francis has done a pretty good job. I think Seattle has $16 million in cap space.

zappa4ever

Music is the Best!
Feb 10, 2010
MD/VA/WV intersection
I saw the gambling accusations on nhl com yesterday that had the general statements,
but holy crap just clicked on that twitter link and those are serious accusations from the wife (and airing a bunch of dirty laundry), don't know how true they are but daaammn EK just may be a serious low life degenerate if that stuff is true re: abandoning the pregnant wife/daughter/losing the home/disappearing for week(s)

Never really followed his personal issues after going to SJ, just thought his early career stuff was immaturity/youth and that was mostly behind him, appears not-so-much

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
I saw the gambling accusations on nhl com yesterday that had the general statements,
but holy crap just clicked on that twitter link and those are serious accusations from the wife (and airing a bunch of dirty laundry), don't know how true they are but daaammn EK just may be a serious low life degenerate if that stuff is true re: abandoning the pregnant wife/daughter/losing the home/disappearing for week(s)

Never really followed his personal issues after going to SJ, just thought his early career stuff was immaturity/youth and that was mostly behind him, appears not-so-much

Yeah it's crazy. Found out a bunch of other stuff like him accused of paying off millions to a mistress for 3 separate abortions and not even paying her. Not sure if true, but does not look good.

And as despicable as all his family stuff is, the NHL shouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole. And they won't.

But the league will hammer down hard if any of the NHL betting is true.

Jun 15, 2007
I don't believe the betting thing. Makes no sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad