League News: NHL Talk - (News n' Scores n' Stuff) - COVID Offseason Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
First..err...second?

4404570fbfa9809bf88a30d26c8867f2.gif

Reactions: Calicaps

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I feel like you guys are a dark horse to get Eichel.

Kuznetsov, McMichael, 1st. I dunno.
Kuzy has a partial NTC. No way does he waive it to go to Buffalo. The only way it would have happened is if we moved John Carlson for enough trade chips to make a play at Eichel, but that’s not happening at this point.

Anahome

Oct 5, 2019
I see Eichel as a bigger problem than Kuzy. It doesn't make sense to pay extra assets for a player with healthy problems (neck). He definitely will miss first months, and his health after recovery is a question mark.

JustAnotherHockeyFan

Jul 28, 2021
Eichel is somehow a worse all around player than Kuznetsov even before rearranging his neck 8 ways from Sunday.

That said, IF he was healthy, having him as a right shot feeding Ovechkin would probably be the best development to speed up the chase for 895

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
I see Eichel as a bigger problem than Kuzy. It doesn't make sense to pay extra assets for a player with healthy problems (neck). He definitely will miss first months, and his health after recovery is a question mark.
The issue is not that his injury is hard to recover from. He would've probably been ready for the opening night had they traded him earlier and new team would've obliged to his demand to treat the injury his own way. But they f***ed him over with both trade and surgery and now he's kinda in limbo.

If there's a chance Caps can get him for a package centered around 92 they should push for it.

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
I’ve been saying, ship Kuznetsov out west for a 1st rounder

Two 1sts, McMichael, Schultz for Eichel. Send over the paperwork, don’t care about the neck. Eichel driving a line with Ovie would get him 1,000 goals

McMichael/Cozens had good chemistry at WJC so we can sell Buffalo on that angle. I know they want four 1st rounders but they gotta settle for 3 since Eichel wants out now.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013

I wish.

Would gladly a lot to that package to get him... Like Orlov and another top prospect or someone to offset the salaries that the Sabres want.

I just don't see it. We don't have the assets.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
Eichel return was always going to be pennies on the dollar, Sabres doing their best to make it fractions if pennies on the dollar.

3 blue chip prospects plus two firsts, just take that and move on

Reactions: Calicaps

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions

I’ve had this hope as well but given Kuzy’s modified NTC I don’t see it happening. Why would he waive to go from living in an amazing city playing for a competitive team to a dumpster fire in upstate New York? Buffalo is a nice place but if you like the amenities of a city it won’t have any appeal. And they are going to be worse next year somehow then they’ve been the past few years. I just don’t see it.

I also thought a Monahan swap made sense but again… Calgary?

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Buffalo is kind of screwed here. With Eichel's health being a question mark and with teams filling out their rosters it seems like his value would be much lower now than before free agency started, when they should have resolved this.

However, Eichel's NMC kicks in next offseason so he'll then have his choice of teams he's willing to go to, which will depress any return Eichel is likely to get. Similar to how Taylor Hall was only able to fetch a mediocre return last year because he only wanted to be traded to Boston.

If a team is confident in his health after surgery, now is a perfect buy-low opportunity IMO. I don't see any way he gets close to the return Buffalo is looking for.

*looks at GMBM*

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
What a mess in Buffalo. Eichel and his camp don’t look blameless here with the scorched earth approach but the Buffalo front office looks incompetent having it let it get this far when it’s been clear a divorce is the only possible outcome workable for both parties.

And whoever is getting Jack is taking a huge gamble. This isn’t a sprained wrist or a knee scope — they’re talking about a neck surgery that’s never been performed on an NHL player (according to the Sabres GM). There’s no guarantee he comes back as the player he was (or can develop into) and if he doesn’t you probably set your franchise back for many years if not a decade due to the assets forfeited to get Eichel and the contract with a $10M cap hit for five more years and the NMC for four years starting next year that you’re acquiring. Yikes all around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad