League News: NHL Talk - (News n' Scores n' Stuff) - 2020 TDL Edition - Vol. 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

StrikingDistance

Buford T. Justice
Mar 19, 2015
DC
Had to login and say I think it's amazing it was someone on Toronto's payroll who cost the Leefs 2 points tonight.

giphy.gif

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
THey said on the Canes cast that the emergency goalie may not be a team employee of either team. I have to guess that Ayres is a Zamboni driver but not for the leafs. None of what ive seen says that he was the leafs Zamboni guy

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
THey said on the Canes cast that the emergency goalie may not be a team employee of either team. I have to guess that Ayres is a Zamboni driver but not for the leafs. None of what ive seen says that he was the leafs Zamboni guy
He's the Zamboni driver for the Toronto Marlies. So technically not the Leafs, but its a distinction without a difference.

Reactions: kicksavedave

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
That was a great team win for the Hurricanes but a costly one, Pesce and Reimer out long term per the team.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
I happened a couple years ago in Chicago

EBUGs have played a few times before, but never as long as Ayres did and none have been credited with an NHL win. The guy in Chicago played something like 8 mins with a four goal lead. Ayres played almost half the game and had a one goal lead that he preserved for an entire period.

The Canes played perfect team defense around him but he was credited with an NHL win. He's 1-0, forever.

kicksavedave

Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
He's the Zamboni driver for the Toronto Marlies. So technically not the Leafs, but its a distinction without a difference.

True. Also a minor technicality, but the arena itself provides the EBUG, not either team. The EBUG is available to either team.

Looked kinda funny seeing him in a Canes jersey with Marlies pads and mask.

The main board thread on this was epic. Leafs fans properly accepted their dose of shame.

kicksavedave

Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org

I believe he was the Zamboni driver for the arena itself.

You must be a lot of fun at parties, lol.

zappa4ever

Music is the Best!
Feb 10, 2010
MD/VA/WV intersection
for the 'Any Given Sunday' category:
VAN 9 BOS 3
ARI 7 TBL 3
BUF 5 PIT 2
CAR 6 TOR 3 (Emergency goalie enters mid 2nd pd at 3-1 CAR; blanks TOR in 3rd pd)

Unpredictable who will be hot garbage one day and studs the next

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

bur and 666 others

Jun 13, 2012
In all honesty, this may be the greatest hockey thing I've ever seen, even on the anniversary of the Miracle on Ice. the TML actually lost to their OWN Zamboni driver.

Just about makes me want to become a Canes fan.
f*** no. Zamboni driver is a cute story, but honestly I hate this story because of Carolina. Really don't want anything good going on for them, no surge no emergency backups. No high emotions, so they can ride it in the playoffs. Please just flat uninspiring hockey for them.

Reactions: IafrateOvie34

ArmadilloThumb

Apr 20, 2018
He does the Marlies Zamboni as well as on ice target goalie for both the Marlies and Leafs as a side gig, because he loves hockey (he was actually on the ice this morning with some rehabbing Leafs!).

Ayers actual day job is Operations Manager for Mattamay Athletic Center, which occupies the upper two thirds if the space of the repurposed Maple Leaf Gardens (first floor is a grocery store), and is the sports venue for Ryerson University (also located in downtown Toronto).

Second floor is the basketball gym and the 3rd floor is a 3,000 seat rink with the original Maple Leaf Gardens roof. You can rent it for pick up hockey!

IMG_2776.jpg

Reactions: Hivemind

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
That was a great team win for the Hurricanes but a costly one, Pesce and Reimer out long term per the team.

Up next Canes trading Torontos first and Gardiner for Lehner, Gustafsson and Connor Murphy as a final f*** you to the Leafs

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
Leafs' Muzzin out 4 weeks with a broken hand. Leafs fans are complaining about what bad luck they've had this season with injuries.
Seems like some of them are in denial - sure injuries haven't helped their regular season record but there's a lot more wrong with that team than bad luck with injuries.

The most pathetic thing is that there are 2 really good teams in the Atlantic and then there are 4 teams that seem to do everything possible to miss the playoffs.
Habs and Sabres are 7 and 8 points back and probably not going to climb into a spot but you would think Florida would have figured things out by now with their roster?? They should have taken 3rd by now and creating a cushion
between themselves and the Leafs.

All this talk about parity in the league and yet we have two divisions (Metro and Pacific) that are very close and the other two (Central and Atlantic) that really aren't close at all.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Leafs' Muzzin out 4 weeks with a broken hand. Leafs fans are complaining about what bad luck they've had this season with injuries.
Seems like some of them are in denial - sure injuries haven't helped their regular season record but there's a lot more wrong with that team than bad luck with injuries.

The most pathetic thing is that there are 2 really good teams in the Atlantic and then there are 4 teams that seem to do everything possible to miss the playoffs.
Habs and Sabres are 7 and 8 points back and probably not going to climb into a spot but you would think Florida would have figured things out by now with their roster?? They should have taken 3rd by now and creating a cushion
between themselves and the Leafs.

All this talk about parity in the league and yet we have two divisions (Metro and Pacific) that are very close and the other two (Central and Atlantic) that really aren't close at all.

Do you mean the Central and the Metro are very close? The Pacific is hot garbage. Their division leader would be 6th in the Metro and not in the playoffs (currently). Even then, the 4th place team in the Central would be 8th in the Metro.

It's the Metro, a giant gap, and then three trash divisions.

zappa4ever

Music is the Best!
Feb 10, 2010
MD/VA/WV intersection
Pens lose to the Kings 2-1!

Selke Crosby now -7 on the year.
Watched the whole game to see how they got on with Marleau/Sheary/Rodrigues...
Sheary and Malkin were the most visible players for the game, Marleau was OK but uneventful and largely invisible, Rodrigues was completely invisible, don't know if he had 8 min.s even
Crosby was decent first half of game, did nothing 2nd half, 0 pts.
Kings goalie Peterson was his 5th start ever and had shutout going til 6 min.s into 3rd, strong game from him
Satisfying 4th loss in a row :)

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
Watched the whole game to see how they got on with Marleau/Sheary/Rodrigues...
Sheary and Malkin were the most visible players for the game, Marleau was OK but uneventful and largely invisible, Rodrigues was completely invisible, don't know if he had 8 min.s even
Crosby was decent first half of game, did nothing 2nd half, 0 pts.
Kings goalie Peterson was his 5th start ever and had shutout going til 6 min.s into 3rd, strong game from him
Satisfying 4th loss in a row :)

Yeah. They are in a big slump. Couldn't happen to a nicer team. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad