League News: NHL Talk - (News n' Scores n' Stuff) - 2020 TDL Edition - Vol. 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006

Sounds like the price was Schaller, a second rounder and Madden. So, yeah, definitely a seller's market.

Last edited:
Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions

Sounds like the price was Schaller, a second rounder and Madden. So, yeah, definitely a seller's market.

I don't hate it if they can re-sign him. The West is wide open and the Canucks want to be relevant again. I think Toffoli, who is only 27, helps them in the near and medium term more than that package does. Seems steep but they clearly value making the playoffs this year. If it's just as a rental than that's a pretty crazy misuse of assets, and Benning has some work to do with that roster as they have no cap space and not one player signed to an AAV over $6mm, which seems impossible.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I get the value of giving a young team a shot in the arm and getting them some playoff experience at least. I just think of them as pretty middling nonetheless and even if they happen to take the division I'm not sure a team like Nashville wouldn't wax them if they get some goaltending.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I don't disagree. It kind of smells like Benning is trying to save his job this year and he'll deal with the fallout next year (or he won't have to if he gets sacked). I'm just saying I get the thinking and if they can get Toffoli for another few years it's not terrible.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Canucks were counting on Ferland for the playoffs and Boeser is made of glass. Good move by them to jump on this player.

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
I get the value of giving a young team a shot in the arm and getting them some playoff experience at least. I just think of them as pretty middling nonetheless and even if they happen to take the division I'm not sure a team like Nashville wouldn't wax them if they get some goaltending.

I read that Toffoli and Pearson had good chemistry as linemates when they played together for the Kings, so if that's true it would help explain why they brought Toffoli in. Pearson is on track for career high in goals and assists.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Dater is reporting Rantanen is out 6-8 weeks w/ a broken collarbone. If my math is right, with Rantenen, Kadri, Calvert, and Wilson on IR they could conceivably go almost $20mm over the cap at the TDL if none of those guys come back before the deadline. Grubauer is out as well.

I wonder if they could pull a deal w/ the Rangers around Kreider, Strome, and Georgiev? Would be epic.

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
I guess I'll watch the Pens and Leafs and hope for a Leafs miracle on ice haha.

Malkin was in the warm up but has been ruled out of the game. Sounds like the flu

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
The Leafs look a lot like our current Caps team, and that is NOT a compliment.

Constant turnovers, can't get the puck out of the zone, goalie scrambling all over the place to make save after save while his players watch.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Pens are the best overall team in the NHL, top to bottom. And their #2 dmen, and #1 winger aren't even playing. I say this because I don't trust Vasilevskiy in the playoffs.

Dumoulin should be back before seasons end, Geuntzal probably won't be unless they make the Final.

:(:(

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
Pens are the best overall team in the NHL, top to bottom. And their #2 dmen, and #1 winger aren't even playing. I say this because I don't trust Vasilevskiy in the playoffs.

Dumoulin should be back before seasons end, Geuntzal probably won't be unless they make the Final.

Hey, the good news is we're unlikely to meet them in the playoffs ;)

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Hey, the good news is we're unlikely to meet them in the playoffs ;)

3plzcr.jpg

Reactions: Heath

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions

From a roster perspective, definitely don't agree. Tampa is far more talented than Pittsburgh -- or anyone else for that matter -- and Boston is better on paper (assuming everyone is healthy), and I'd put the Caps roster above Pittsburgh's if everyone is playing to their potential. Also, Tristan Jarry is also playing at an insane level as he is sporting a .930 save % (best in the league) so we'll see if he continues playing like a Vezina winner.

That said, it's all about execution and if you're talking about a team being best overall as in they have a coach with a system in place where every player on that team buys into their role then yeah, I'm not sure there's anyone above Pittsburgh, at least not at the moment. It seems to me like this is Tampa's year but Pittsburgh taking it wouldn't surprise me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->