League News: NHL Talk - (News n' Scores n' Stuff) - 2020 TDL Edition - Vol. 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
This. Only problem is that Dillon and Kovy haven't had time to gel with the team.

No guarantee that Kovalchuk did gel with the team. I think it was quite possible that what we saw is what there was. As for Dillon I think Kempny is the bigger question. Kempny's play effects Dillon's role more than almost anything else. Past that, where Jensen comes back might be the biggest key. If it was a confidence issue and he is past that, then the Caps are in good shape. If he needs 20 games to find his rhythm they are hosed.

Separate subject. How many AHL/Junior players do you project the Caps bring in. The rosters expand after the TDL. There wont be any AHL or CHL play. Can they bring over any Euros by rule? I am guessing a 3rd goalie, 3 defensemen and 4 or 5 forwards including McMichael.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
They have to have expanded rosters Incase of positive Covid-19 test. You can’t have a team using Emergency goalie’s or forfeiting a playoff game

Edit - especially if it takes two weeks of quarantine to get inside the bubble

Last edited:

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
No guarantee that Kovalchuk did gel with the team. I think it was quite possible that what we saw is what there was. As for Dillon I think Kempny is the bigger question. Kempny's play effects Dillon's role more than almost anything else. Past that, where Jensen comes back might be the biggest key. If it was a confidence issue and he is past that, then the Caps are in good shape. If he needs 20 games to find his rhythm they are hosed.

Separate subject. How many AHL/Junior players do you project the Caps bring in. The rosters expand after the TDL. There wont be any AHL or CHL play. Can they bring over any Euros by rule? I am guessing a 3rd goalie, 3 defensemen and 4 or 5 forwards including McMichael.
Kovalchuk looked better than I thought he would and he was unlucky not to have more goals and points. His addition also gave them a terrific 4th line since Panik was a major upgrade over Leipsic. Agree with you on Kempny's importance, my hope is that he was able to do some strength training over the break and that he'll come back looking a little bit stronger and more mobile.

The Caps have already notified Malenstyn and Copley that they'll be with the team for however long they're in the playoffs but will be interesting to see who else gets brought along for the ride.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
Taken from the mainboards from Lucbourdon:

7g0uorsnsl051.jpg

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Kovalchuk looked better than I thought he would and he was unlucky not to have more goals and points. His addition also gave them a terrific 4th line since Panik was a major upgrade over Leipsic. Agree with you on Kempny's importance, my hope is that he was able to do some strength training over the break and that he'll come back looking a little bit stronger and more mobile.

The Caps have already notified Malenstyn and Copley that they'll be with the team for however long they're in the playoffs but will be interesting to see who else gets brought along for the ride.

I don't really disagree on anything you say about Kovalchuk. I was saying that I don't really expect more. His role will only allow for so much. As for Kempny, I don't think the damage done to his leg is something that he can get past with training. I could be/hope to be wrong. I am leaning toward Dillon and Jensen being the key players to pick up Kempny's role. I would not be surprised to see Kempny getting scratched.

I think realistically, they are going to need more spare skaters than just that one guy. I am guessing at least 3 forwards and 2 defensemen.

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
Taken from the mainboards from Lucbourdon:

7g0uorsnsl051.jpg

Maybe the best option will be to be finish 2nd (in the battle for the top seed between Bolts, Flyers, Bruins and Caps) and number 3 must be the Flyers, so we can avoid both Boston/Tampa until ECF
1 Boston
2 Caps
3 Flyers
4 Tampa

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
Maybe the best option will be to be finish 2nd (in the battle for the top seed between Bolts, Flyers, Bruins and Caps) and number 3 must be the Flyers, so we can avoid both Boston/Tampa until ECF
1 Boston
2 Caps
3 Flyers
4 Tampa

I don't know. Looking at the graphic, I kind of like the current bracket as it is with Caps/Bolts/Canes/Rangers/Isles/Cats.

Who knows what shape any of the teams are in, but the type of play stylistically and storylines-wise, I kind of like it.

And I know Tampa was red hot before the break, but we all know the Caps play up to them the last few years.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I don't really disagree on anything you say about Kovalchuk. I was saying that I don't really expect more. His role will only allow for so much. As for Kempny, I don't think the damage done to his leg is something that he can get past with training. I could be/hope to be wrong. I am leaning toward Dillon and Jensen being the key players to pick up Kempny's role. I would not be surprised to see Kempny getting scratched.

I think realistically, they are going to need more spare skaters than just that one guy. I am guessing at least 3 forwards and 2 defensemen.

So you think Kempny will never be the same player again?

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
I don’t really understand why they don’t reseed after the play in round but whatever.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
So you think Kempny will never be the same player again?

Yea, I think its possible to likely. I don't see that as assured but I think its more likely that his game is permanently damaged than it is likely that it returns to pre injury levels. Ive been worried about him for 20 games or more. When people were apoplectic about Jensen I was seeing Kempny. I think its very likely that Fehervary gets Kempny's role next season unless they keep Dillon.

I think if Kempny is a 3rd pair d during the return or taking scratches, that he is an offseason trade for some cap space

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I don’t really understand why they don’t reseed after the play in round but whatever.

I think I saw that they like the brackets for the home follow along. I like it because the Caps cant see the Penguins til the ECF. Crosby and Ovechkin having to square off every season in the 2nd round is unfair to both of them.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
I think I saw that they like the brackets for the home follow along. I like it because the Caps cant see the Penguins til the ECF. Crosby and Ovechkin having to square off every season in the 2nd round is unfair to both of them.
Not really as unfair as the 4th seed’s ability to draw the 12th seed while 1st is stuck with the near indiscernible difference between 8th and 9th.

Those play ins are just long enough to let a 10-12 sneak in with all the rust, but those teams are also still way less likely to go toe to toe with a playoff team in a full series rust or not. Just seems weird that the middle of the pack technically has the chance at the easiest route

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
What reward are they missing? They are getting to play tune up games while other teams in the conference top 8 have a legit chance to get bounced out.

The Metro division leader is a 3 seed and the 2nd place team in the Atlantic is a 2 seed. That's the reward, seeding. This bracket throws the divisions out the window, but normal playoffs the division is important.

I'm not wild about the bracket, mainly having to go through both TB and Bos, but if we do face Boston we cannot face Pens also.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Yea, I think its possible to likely. I don't see that as assured but I think its more likely that his game is permanently damaged than it is likely that it returns to pre injury levels. Ive been worried about him for 20 games or more. When people were apoplectic about Jensen I was seeing Kempny. I think its very likely that Fehervary gets Kempny's role next season unless they keep Dillon.

I think if Kempny is a 3rd pair d during the return or taking scratches, that he is an offseason trade for some cap space

We're on the same page here, though I do hope that Kempny can pull a Niskanen. We all thought Nisky was cooked after last year and it seems he's rebounded back into form for Philly. His play during the postseason will be telling.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
The Metro division leader is a 3 seed and the 2nd place team in the Atlantic is a 2 seed. That's the reward, seeding. This bracket throws the divisions out the window, but normal playoffs the division is important.

I'm not wild about the bracket, mainly having to go through both TB and Bos, but if we do face Boston we cannot face Pens also.

I go back to where I was. The league likes the divisional layout, but downside to that is when your two best teams and two biggest stars are in the same division and whenever they play it appears they are playing for nothing. I am sure that many players feel tied down and restricted by that system. This is a chance to try something different without having to change everything.

I don't see the issue with the seeding. The Caps will have to play the Canes first and then two of Tampa, Philly, Pens or Bruins to get to the finals. There are no home games to lose in this seeding and the only difference is having to play TB in the 2nd round rather than the Penguins.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
We're on the same page here, though I do hope that Kempny can pull a Niskanen. We all thought Nisky was cooked after last year and it seems he's rebounded back into form for Philly. His play during the postseason will be telling.

I think the consensus was that Niskanen was cooked but there were others(like me) that thought he was just beat up and gassed from the cup run considering his game and that he might bounced back(remember I said the Caps should consider trading Orlov and keeping Niskanen). The question was whether what the cup run took out of him was permanent damage or temporary. There was no injury there. Just general abuse.

Being honest. The biggest player in the resurging of the Flyers has been Niskanen. Fortunately Kempny is much easier to replace than Niskanen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad