League News: NHL Talk - (News n' Scores n' Stuff) - 2020 TDL Edition - Vol. 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Empty Goal Net

Do I see another GOAT?
Feb 13, 2010
Are we sure about Ov? My understanding is the pre playoff games are not playoff games. They count for setting seedings and for who gets in. Its a detail. Do the Caps round robin games stats count? You would think the PA would insist that they count toward service. Maybe I just missed where they said they don't count.

How they will track stats from those games seems to be undetermined, but they won't be included in RS stats. From TSN (NHL outlines 24-team return-to-play format, June 26 Draft Lottery - TSN.ca):
> What does that mean for the 2019-20 regular season and statistics?

The 2019-20 regular season has been completed for all record-keeping purposes. That means that the Boston Bruins have captured the Presidents' Trophy with 100 points; Alex Ovechkin and David Pastrnak will share the Rocket Richard Trophy with 48 goals; and Leon Draisaitl will be the league’s scoring champion and Art Ross winner with 110 points.
Ovechkin was robbed of the chance of a ninth career 50-goal season, but this is his ninth Rocket Richard. ...
It has not yet been determined how the round-robin or play-in round stats will be kept. The NHL made it clear on Tuesday that those games will not count as playoff games.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Play-in and seeding games should not count anywhere, just like pre-season.

895 and 50 goal seasons do not matter in the foreseeable future. We can talk about it after #800 or so.

Pity it happened, but in big picture its no big deal, at least he got MR out of it.

No sane person will hold it against him anytime soon.

Win a cup, and this wont matter ever.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Play-in and seeding games should not count anywhere, just like pre-season.

895 and 50 goal seasons do not matter in the foreseeable future. We can talk about it after #800 or so.

Pity it happened, but in big picture its no big deal, at least he got MR out of it.

No sane person will hold it against him anytime soon.

Win a cup, and this wont matter ever.

Have you visited the HF main boards any time recently? :D

Reactions: ovikovy817

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
The top 4 tune-up and play-in games will IMO be considered tie-breaker or exhibition games.

He's a farce. You're a farce. Everyone and everything is a farce. </Seinfeld>

Reactions: tenken00

kicksavedave

Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
When will the 2020-21 season begin?

Commissioner Bettman:
"We believe 2020-21 will be played in its entirety, the way we play a normal season. There's no magic to starting in October. Our buildings, our markets can handle it. We could start in November. We could start in December. We could start at the beginning of January if we have to. We're going to be playing over the summer this year, so the answer is we'll get through this season and we'll make sure there's enough of a pause between the end of this season and next, and then we'll start up again.

You know, I swear I put forth this exact same scenario and was told it is impossible and will not happen. I am vindicated for all eternity now, thank you all :)

Empty Goal Net

Do I see another GOAT?
Feb 13, 2010
Sure. Whats next? The games wont exist which means the playoffs don't exist and playing non existant games makes it a farce?

The League seems to have come up with a reasonable way to play the hand they've been dealt by this pandemic. The results of both the pre-playoff matchups and the Top 4 round robins count for something (getting into the final 16 and a somewhat undetermined amount of seeding). I'm fine with not counting the individual player stats for either RS or playoffs, especially since a) some teams/players are not playing at all, and b) the teams that are playing won't exactly be playing a balanced schedule.

Seems to me that we all have managed to live with a very similar precedent. For what, maybe 14 years (since the lockout), the shootout determines which team gets a "W" and the 2 points that come along with it. None of the goals scored count toward a player's season totals, and nobody gets a GWG. Like it or not (I tolerate it), we've seen this "farce" for over a decade and yet we continue to watch.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
You know, I swear I put forth this exact same scenario and was told it is impossible and will not happen. I am vindicated for all eternity now, thank you all :)

Your doom and gloom game was strong early Dave! Well done. ;) I for one don’t want to think about a delay for next year, but it seems like a forgone conclusion now.

kicksavedave

Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Your doom and gloom game was strong early Dave! Well done. ;) I for one don’t want to think about a delay for next year, but it seems like a forgone conclusion now.

Yah when Gary says "We can start in November, December or even January" I was like "how about October, ya clown show"

But if we are going to miss more games (and we are) I'd rather they be in October than the playoffs. Personally I wish they could figure out how to finish the RS this year so that these silly playoff scenarios could be shitcanned and Ovi could get his 50. But yeah, I'll take him getting a Rocket this way.

This whole damn 2020 is going to go down as the strangest year of all of our lives. I think it will be bizarre to see a Cup awarded in an empty stadium, in September. But I'll take it gladly over the alternative.

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Wait. Revisionist!

You ALSO were adamant that this current season has to be fully completed and if not, the playoffs were not ok to start immediately.

which some of us said Couldn’t happen if they wanted a full RS next year.

so — not exactly sure what you are crowing about

kicksavedave

Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Wait. Revisionist!

You ALSO were adamant that this current season has to be fully completed and if not, the playoffs were not ok to start immediately.

which some of us said Couldn’t happen if they wanted a full RS next year.

so — not exactly sure what you are crowing about

Re-visioning the revisions! I said my "preference" was to complete the RS, not that it was mandatory. And I repeated it above... if we are going to miss games, and we obviously have/are, my preference was that we miss more October games than April games. In the end looks like we'll miss both, but have a full playoffs to watch, which is great. But I seem to recall also being told that hockey in the summer was impossible because of ice, so there is that:)

Just having fun with you anyway, its all friendly good. Happy to have hockey coming back any way shape or form.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Yah when Gary says "We can start in November, December or even January" I was like "how about October, ya clown show".

October could very likely only be played without gate. The league can run a playoffs without gate and get by but they needs to sell tickets to make money. The later they start the more likely they can sell tickets.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Re-visioning the revisions! I said my "preference" was to complete the RS, not that it was mandatory. And I repeated it above... if we are going to miss games, and we obviously have/are, my preference was that we miss more October games than April games. In the end looks like we'll miss both, but have a full playoffs to watch, which is great. But I seem to recall also being told that hockey in the summer was impossible because of ice, so there is that:)

Just having fun with you anyway, its all friendly good. Happy to have hockey coming back any way shape or form.
Whatever boob said that should be fired. :sarcasm:

Empty Goal Net

Do I see another GOAT?
Feb 13, 2010
October could very likely only be played without gate. The league can run a playoffs without gate and get by but they needs to sell tickets to make money. The later they start the more likely they can sell tickets.

iirc, player salaries are based on RS receipts, so the personnel cost of running playoff games is probably lower than for RS games. Also, under current plans, although teams forgo the jacked-up prices of playoff tix, not all teams are participating. Since all teams play RS games, there's more equity in delaying the RS until a time when they're more likely to have butts in seats.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad