Confirmed with Link: NHL Suspends Season Due to Coronavirus

Lek

Nov 25, 2006
Raleigh
Might just need to break out the ol' DVD's and reminisce if this does go on too long....

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
Well, according to my understanding, all diseases that transmit in this fashion are technically pandemics. But, the it more can be contained, the less likely that it will become a quick spreading pandemic. People will get in tolerable percentages, over time, and that will cut massively into its ability to transmit at a exponential rate. The goal is to flatten the curve of cases as much as possible so it does its damage over as long a time as possible, not to contain it completely or eradicate it. It's a pumped up flu, not smallpox.
Unfortunately, this virus will take a huge toll on those over 60. Even with a flattened curve, we could see hundreds of thousands of deaths in the elderly and immuno-compromised in this country alone. A lot of younger people are not as worried and will become carriers.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Unfortunately, this virus will take a huge toll on those over 60. Even with a flattened curve, we could see hundreds of thousands of deaths in the elderly and immuno-compromised in this country alone. A lot of younger people are not as worried and will become carriers.
I didn't need to hear that! 67 and just finished having prostate surgery.

Fortunately I'm in pretty good health. Lots to do around the house, but I'm going to miss my two hockey games a week.

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here

Fortunately I'm in pretty good health. Lots to do around the house, but I'm going to miss my two hockey games a week.
I'm almost sixty and have immune system issues. Worried....

eoin92

Jun 14, 2013
I can't believe there is no sports. I googled, looking for anything. Soccer, Rugby, even cricket.

The Real JT

Louie louie, oh no, me gotta go
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut

I'm almost sixty and have immune system issues. Worried....

Look on the bright side.

The Isles haven't lost a game in 4 days.

Your stress hormone levels are assuredly lower thus boosting your immune system response.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I can't believe there is no sports. I googled, looking for anything. Soccer, Rugby, even cricket.
Yeah, I'm seeing a lot of reruns of hockey and soccer on the sports channels.

Apparently golf, if you can call that a sport. I'll play it, but can't watch it.

Last edited:
Reactions: eoin92

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times double masked they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise

It does seem to be affecting the elderly at an increased rate, but it's hard to tell how alarming that is right now because it was still in the early stages. A lot of the folks died because nobody knew what the f*** was going on. Now, if someone doesn't feel well, they're going to be immediately tested and dealt with. That's not meant to dismiss the threat to those people, but I think that's why they want to flatten the curve, so the system can handle those with the highest risk.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Can you bet on them the same as on horse racing? :huh:
Yes. I like watching as a fan, but it makes it extra interesting if you have a bit on it. Not a huge punter as they say. But when the top horses run, it's like any sport. You take interest.

The Real JT

Louie louie, oh no, me gotta go
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
Horse racing is still going.

May as well get to know the sport since we’ll be sharing Belmont Park with the ponies.
Too bad winter racing in New York sucks.

At least there's simulcasting to tide us over till quality racing returns to Belmont.

With that being said, it's been years since I've been to the track though I could certainly find my way around there in the dark.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Yes. I like watching as a fan, but it makes it extra interesting if you have a bit on it. Not a huge punter as they say. But when the top horses run, it's like any sport. You take interest.
I think you missed the joke. You said "European and Asian racing", as opposed to "European and Asian horse racing". I was picturing ethnic sprint races.

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Yeah, I'm seeing a lot of reruns of hockey and soccer on the sports channels.

Apparently golf, if you can call that a sport. I'll play it, but can't watch it.
Ah, the old "what defines a sport?" vs "what defines a game?" debate. Not all games are sports, but all sports are games. Or are they? Get out your Venn diagrams.

Here's one vote for sport. Won't watch the weekly Valero Opens and such, but a major, WGC or Players, or Ryder Cup, I'm definitely watching. And if you've played at all and tried to get good, you know that what those guys do is amazing.

Frankie41987

Feb 1, 2007
Kings Park
I'm almost certainly going to get this thing, I'm just kind of waiting for it. I am an Emergency Medicine physician in Hartford and we just got our first confirmed case but i can tell you that there certainly are more patients here with the virus. The problem is because of the lack of tests we are being instructed to have very strict testing parameters (anyone with recent international travel of in contact with a confirmed case). Which is ridiculous and is causing us to miss a ton of cases because at this point the virus is widespread enough that positive patients don't know they've been in contact with an infected patient so the screening criteria is garbage. Our confirmed case wasn't even tested until she was in the ICU because she didn't meet any of the testing criteria so she had been in the ER without proper isolation and probably passed it to a bunch of our nurses and providers.

Not sure if anyone is interested in this part but since I am constantly inundated with updates about this thing i thought I'd share, the latest WHO calculations is that the virus has a mortality rate of around 3-4% which is about 30-40 times more deadly than the flu. They are guessing that the actual mortality rate is much lower, around 0.7% (which is still about 7 times more deadly than the flu) but regardless the mortality is not what makes this so dangerous. The concern is how virulent this is and how easily it spreads, and unlike the flu we don't have good tests or vaccines to slow it down. The dangerous part is potential to overwhelm the healthcare system when everyone gets it at once. That scenario has dire consequences and is what you are seeing play out in Italy where the mortality rate is about double any where else because people who shouldn't die from it are dying from it because hospitals are running out of basic things and don't have the resources to deal with the sheer volume. That's why this whole 'flattening the curve' thing is so important.

The Lighthouse

Aug 1, 2011
The concern is how virulent this is and how easily it spreads, and unlike the flu we don't have good tests or vaccines to slow it down. The dangerous part is potential to overwhelm the healthcare system when everyone gets it at once. That scenario has dire consequences and is what you are seeing play out in Italy where the mortality rate is about double any where else because people who shouldn't die from it are dying from it because hospitals are running out of basic things and don't have the resources to deal with the sheer volume. That's why this whole 'flattening the curve' thing is so important.

Why it's so important to push back against the "fearmongering" angle.

Reactions: Frankie41987

islesfan3913

Apr 5, 2011
Orange County, NY
That scenario has dire consequences and is what you are seeing play out in Italy where the mortality rate is about double any where else because people who shouldn't die from it are dying from it because hospitals are running out of basic things and don't have the resources to deal with the sheer volume. That's why this whole 'flattening the curve' thing is so important.

Do you have a source for the “people are dying from it who shouldn’t be”? I’m not arguing that their medical teams aren’t being overwhelmed because I simply don’t know enough about their healthcare system, but there’s a lot of reasons why the virus has been so bad over there and why the mortality rate is so high outside of hospitals being overwhelmed (Italy has an older population, their smoking rates are some of the highest in the world, and the cultural customs make it easy to spread disease due to close contact). Also, their healthcare system botched the early treatment since they either turned away people who had it or made those people wait hours before even being tested, and then they had to wait even longer to be isolated (one case involved a man waiting nearly 40 hours to be tested and isolated).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad