Confirmed with Link: NHL Suspends Season Due to Coronavirus

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
TSN reports they heard from someone in the NHL conference call that Bettman has proposed a 'pause'. Still discussing, no official announcement.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Jeremy Roenick just tweeted and deleted a tweet that said, "And now the NHL, stay safe and clean everyone!"

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
What would be interesting is they end up canceling the playoffs, I'd love to see free agency start early, however I doubt any of that is even possible without determining cap and what not.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Apparently, according to TSN, it is possible for the league to ignore the missed revenue from the suspension and possibly playing games in empty arenas, and set the cap at a reasonable figure.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Someone answer this question...

How can you ever play any games again, in ANY sport, until there is a vaccine/cure?

The answer is....You can't. If you want to stop Conoronavirus with zero treatments available then all you can do is stop the spread of it to even 1 more person.

Even with no fans you're still asking hundreds if not thousands of human beings to travel, interact, sweat, etc with themselves and society at large.

Watch for leagues to go from "suspending" seasons to "cancelling" them.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

How can you ever play any games again, in ANY sport, until there is a vaccine/cure?

The answer is....You can't. If you want to stop Conoronavirus with zero treatments available then all you can do is stop the spread of it to even 1 more person.

Even with no fans you're still asking hundreds if not thousands of human beings to travel, interact, sweat, etc with themselves and society at large.

Depends how long the virus can survive, no? And I'd expect a cure will happen relatively soon.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006

Once the outbreak is contained and a bit of time passes, they can determine when it's safe to restart. The question is who makes that call. If they go strictly by the lawyers/doctors (in that order), the season may be scrubbed entirely. I guess it also depends on environmental factors (ie., if in a month or two weather makes transmission more difficult).

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
BTW, just a thought I've had during this. In the long run we may consider ourselves to have been very fortunate that the world had a dry run/wake up call with a pretty bad but not horrible virus. Someday if a more deadly virus comes along we'll hopefully be more prepared for it as a result of this one.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
Kill me.

Attachments

• 20200312_140709.jpg
    20200312_140709.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 11

crasherino

May 9, 2013
BTW, just a thought I've had during this. In the long run we may consider ourselves to have been very fortunate that the world had a dry run/wake up call with a pretty bad but not horrible virus. Someday if a more deadly virus comes along we'll hopefully be more prepared for it as a result of this one.
The fact that this is a relatively mild virus (relatively speaking of course - that characterization is not much solace to the folks who are very sick) cuts both ways. The fact that its not killing the host (like an ebola outbreak) means that its able to spread. If we had an ebola or similar viral outbreak where the mortality rate is 80%, it wouldn't have the chance to spread as the hosts would die or be incapacitated to the point they couldn't spread it.

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times double masked they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
Once the outbreak is contained and a bit of time passes, they can determine when it's safe to restart.

This, pretty much. The goal isn't to stop or vaccinate. It's to spread the damage out over time, so you don't get an avalanche of cases all at once and then it's not much different from the standard flu. For all the talk of elderly or vulnerable family members, etc., substitute the flu and all the dangers are pretty much the same. The difference is that the flu isn't spreading logistically because theres a base of natural immunity. This will eventually develop the same way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad