Confirmed with Link: NHL Suspends Season Due to Coronavirus

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Too bad winter racing in New York sucks.

At least there's simulcasting to tide us over till quality racing returns to Belmont.

With that being said, it's been years since I've been to the track though I could certainly find my way around there in the dark.
There's always racing at Belmont South, er, uh, Gulfstream Park.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Too bad winter racing in New York sucks.

At least there's simulcasting to tide us over till quality racing returns to Belmont.

With that being said, it's been years since I've been to the track though I could certainly find my way around there in the dark.
I'm sure you could. I go to Aqueduct and Belmont often enough and I can assure you that EVERYTHING there is in the exact same condition it was when you were there last. Nothing has changed.

And that's why what they're doing with this Belmont project/race track renovation is so vital to it's survival.

Frankie41987

Feb 1, 2007
Kings Park
Do you have a source for the “people are dying from it who shouldn’t be”? I’m not arguing that their medical teams aren’t being overwhelmed because I simply don’t know enough about their healthcare system, but there’s a lot of reasons why the virus has been so bad over there and why the mortality rate is so high outside of hospitals being overwhelmed (Italy has an older population, their smoking rates are some of the highest in the world, and the cultural customs make it easy to spread disease due to close contact). Also, their healthcare system botched the early treatment since they either turned away people who had it or made those people wait hours before even being tested, and then they had to wait even longer to be isolated (one case involved a man waiting nearly 40 hours to be tested and isolated).

Their healthcare systems are overwhelmed, there aren't even beds. When there aren't hospital beds for patients that need to be hospitalized, when there aren't antibiotics for people with secondary bacterial infections, when there aren't ventilators for people that need to be ventilated, what do you think happens to those people? It's a pretty obvious cause and effect. If we aren't able to 'flatten the curve' and our healthcare system is overwhelmed what that means is we cant give proper care to people.

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
I'm almost certainly going to get this thing, I'm just kind of waiting for it. I am an Emergency Medicine physician in Hartford and we just got our first confirmed case but i can tell you that there certainly are more patients here with the virus. The problem is because of the lack of tests we are being instructed to have very strict testing parameters (anyone with recent international travel of in contact with a confirmed case). Which is ridiculous and is causing us to miss a ton of cases because at this point the virus is widespread enough that positive patients don't know they've been in contact with an infected patient so the screening criteria is garbage. Our confirmed case wasn't even tested until she was in the ICU because she didn't meet any of the testing criteria so she had been in the ER without proper isolation and probably passed it to a bunch of our nurses and providers.

Not sure if anyone is interested in this part but since I am constantly inundated with updates about this thing i thought I'd share, the latest WHO calculations is that the virus has a mortality rate of around 3-4% which is about 30-40 times more deadly than the flu. They are guessing that the actual mortality rate is much lower, around 0.7% (which is still about 7 times more deadly than the flu) but regardless the mortality is not what makes this so dangerous. The concern is how virulent this is and how easily it spreads, and unlike the flu we don't have good tests or vaccines to slow it down. The dangerous part is potential to overwhelm the healthcare system when everyone gets it at once. That scenario has dire consequences and is what you are seeing play out in Italy where the mortality rate is about double any where else because people who shouldn't die from it are dying from it because hospitals are running out of basic things and don't have the resources to deal with the sheer volume. That's why this whole 'flattening the curve' thing is so important.
I’m glad your posting this as still to many people are not taking this serious. I have a friend who lives in Italy. I spoke to here a few days ago and she told me it’s a disaster there. Nobody took it serious over there and it spread like wild fire. Just from reading what the experts are saying they expect this virus to last for at least 12 months. We are only in the infancy stageS of this virus here.

Reactions: Hogan Shannon

islesfan186

YES! YES! YES!
Jul 5, 2012
Tennessee
All Nassau County schools closed for the next 2 weeks. Where I work (RVC) was only supposed to be closed Monday and Tuesday for a thorough cleaning, but like 2 hrs ago Laura Curran stated that all NC schools be closed.
I can’t even imagine what the food stores are going to look like now. I have a feeling the school closings are going to send people into more of a frenzy

The Lighthouse

Aug 1, 2011
All Nassau County schools closed for the next 2 weeks. Where I work (RVC) was only supposed to be closed Monday and Tuesday for a thorough cleaning, but like 2 hrs ago Laura Curran stated that all NC schools be closed.
I can’t even imagine what the food stores are going to look like now. I have a feeling the school closings are going to send people into more of a frenzy

Yeah, I know of a few districts that opted to close on Monday and Tuesday before the county issued its order. I think the administrators were just trying to wait until someone higher made the decision to close for longer so that they could spare themselves some fallout.

Last edited:

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
I work for the city of NewYork and it’s only a matter of time before the nyc shuts down. People who are not taking this seriously better start now as it’s only going to get worse. This is not a political thing or overblown.

I was telling friends and family this about a month ago when Korea started getting hit hard from our "super spread event". A country like this with a small geographic area got hit hard and the reason our numbers climbed was because they started testing like crazy. Anybody who had symptoms they made it easy to get tested, hence, the amount of positives rose in a short amount of time.

I literally get shivers thinking about the untested population walking around positive in the US just spreading this to everybody. Again, it's not about the average person who will get coronavirus and walk it off, it's about the person he gives it to, who gives it to someone else who dies from it. It definitely shouldn't be treated lightly and unfortunately I feel NA has starting getting the message quite late. Good luck to y'all, you are gonna need it!

Reactions: The Real JT

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
So bizarre.. NYC schools and businesses essentially closed (restaurants only able to do take out, I believe).. Not sure what hurdle is going to be crossed in two weeks which would enable LI schools to reopen --

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
So bizarre.. NYC schools and businesses essentially closed (restaurants only able to do take out, I believe).. Not sure what hurdle is going to be crossed in two weeks which would enable LI schools to reopen --

I don't think they will.

Reactions: Riseonfire

islesfan186

YES! YES! YES!
Jul 5, 2012
Tennessee
My buddy in AZ went to the food store this morning at 5 AM and the food stores were already insane and there was hardly anything. Said there was a fight in line because some guy decided he wanted to buy 10 gallons of milk. Unless you have like 15 kids or drink a gallon a day, that’s just ridiculously selfish

Reactions: The Lighthouse

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
My buddy in AZ went to the food store this morning at 5 AM and the food stores were already insane and there was hardly anything. Said there was a fight in line because some guy decided he wanted to buy 10 gallons of milk. Unless you have like 15 kids or drink a gallon a day, that’s just ridiculously selfish
Beyond dumb. Has that guy heard of expiration dates?

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
No way of telling how long this lasts as it's day by day now but already I can't wait for hockey to be back.

I will say, I hope that they don't delay for fans. I'd rather watch with the arena empty than wait for us to fill it back up.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
In 1918, Toronto Arenas won their first Stanley Cup.
In 1919, these was no Stanley Cup.

In 1992 and 1993, the Toronto Blue Jays won their first World Series.
In 1994, there was no World Series.

In 2019, the Toronto Raptors won their first NBA championship.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad