Confirmed with Link: NHL Suspends Season Due to Coronavirus

The Real JT

No diving allowed
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
I was telling friends and family this about a month ago when Korea started getting hit hard from our "super spread event". A country like this with a small geographic area got hit hard and the reason our numbers climbed was because they started testing like crazy. Anybody who had symptoms they made it easy to get tested, hence, the amount of positives rose in a short amount of time.

I literally get shivers thinking about the untested population walking around positive in the US just spreading this to everybody. Again, it's not about the average person who will get coronavirus and walk it off, it's about the person he gives it to, who gives it to someone else who dies from it. It definitely shouldn't be treated lightly and unfortunately I feel NA has starting getting the message quite late. Good luck to y'all, you are gonna need it!

The number of documented cases will continue to increase dramatically in part from the natural spread of the virus and also from the eventual roll out of wide spread.

I'm most interested in seeing the course of infection and mortality rates in those countries affected earlier than the US. That will give us the best insight as to when the worst will be behind us in North America. We are 2 weeks or more behind the curve of many of those countries.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I'll see you there in between rounds of golf when I retire. If I play me cards right, I'll get both in on the same day.

Not quite there yet.
I hate to say it but since the advent of betting apps like TwinSpires and NYRA Bets I go to the track less and less. I still go to Belmont most Saturdays and on days one of my friends is riding or has something running, just not as often. It’s easier to play at home.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Not top of the agenda, but if they do cancel the season I wonder how they handle the draft and lottery. Do they freeze the season where it was and proceed based on those seedings? Do they throw all 31 teams into a hopper with, for example, team 31 having a .1 chance of winning, etc.? Does that impact conditions on previously-traded picks?

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
MLB today on a conference call is now looking at the logistics of a July opening day.

I believe the NHL will be next to cancel their season.

I know it’s about the almighty dollar but I wonder if the MLB and even the NHL will look to shortening their seasons going forward? NHL maybe 70 games and MLB maybe 148-150 games? Conversely, the NFL just added a game to their regular season.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Not top of the agenda, but if they do cancel the season I wonder how they handle the draft and lottery. Do they freeze the season where it was and proceed based on those seedings? Do they throw all 31 teams into a hopper with, for example, team 31 having a .1 chance of winning, etc.? Does that impact conditions on previously-traded picks?
The draft order top3 would be the Penguins, Rangers, and Leafs LoL

I think they would just seed it as the regular season standings right now. I think we’re technically out of a playoff spot so we could be in the lottery with a top3 protected pick that would otherwise go to the Sens.

having said that, I think based on games played and win % were actually in a playoff spot.

it’s definitely going to be interesting to see how this whole thing plays out.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
Side note.. have been diving my friends Challenger Hellcat Redeye lately.

797hp.

And that's nothing to sneeze at.

Reactions: mm11

islesfan186

YES! YES! YES!
Jul 5, 2012
Tennessee
Just found out that the DOD banned all travel for military personnel effectively immediately going up to 5/11. My cousin who is in the Marines was supposed to come home Friday on leave. Not anymore. Sucks.

On another note, anyone see that video on twitter of the line at Costco that someone posted on Twitter? I couldn’t even fathom waiting in that line

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
How can the NHL have a season without the AHL? If you get a rash of injuries, you fold?

This is most likely a precursor to the NHL announcing a cancellation.

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
You have to go in tomorrow I am assuming? Many of the schools on Long Island are closing.

The last week was crazy.

Woke up Wednesday with a scratchy throat and called out. Shit then hit the fan so I stayed home Thurs n Fri while I set up google classroom assignments.

We're now allowed to work remotely Tomorrow, Wed and Thurs. Then 'Distance Learning' whatever that means. I'm honestly going to stream science lessons on Twitch starting next week.

Reactions: YearlyLottery

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
How can the NHL have a season without the AHL? If you get a rash of injuries, you fold?

This is most likely a precursor to the NHL announcing a cancellation.

Rosters are expanded so they can have players skate/practice with the NHL team if they want.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
On another note, anyone see that video on twitter of the line at Costco that someone posted on Twitter? I couldn’t even fathom waiting in that line

"Wow, you were at Costco for 6 hours?! What did you get?"

"Just this 10 pound jar of green, pimento-stuffed olives. That's all that was left...."

Last edited:

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Lamoriello had an interview with Newsday and said that no players have opted to go to their off-season homes yet, but some are scheduled to.

Lamoriello said that as of Monday no player whose primary residence is outside Long Island had chosen to leave, but that several were considering it, including some based in Europe.

That's interesting because if the league were to start back up again and those players were unable to enter the country, that could be devastating for some teams. If I were a player I'd want to stick around until I heard the season was canceled.

Other notes:

He also mentioned no more games would be played a Brooklyn and any games needing to be made up would be played at the Coliseum.
The Islanders don't employ the workers at the arenas, but he believes they'll be compensated. For game-day employees the Isles do employ, they'll be compensated.
No word if the league will continue or not, no indication as to what a continuation would look like yet.
The Belmont work is ongoing and will only be stopped by the government.

Coronavirus is a 'learning process' for Isles' Lamoriello

The Real JT

No diving allowed
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
I know it’s about the almighty dollar but I wonder if the MLB and even the NHL will look to shortening their seasons going forward? NHL maybe 70 games and MLB maybe 148-150 games? Conversely, the NFL just added a game to their regular season.
You are aware that this will never happen in our lifetimes?

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
The number of documented cases will continue to increase dramatically in part from the natural spread of the virus and also from the eventual roll out of wide spread.

I'm most interested in seeing the course of infection and mortality rates in those countries affected earlier than the US. That will give us the best insight as to when the worst will be behind us in North America. We are 2 weeks or more behind the curve of many of those countries.

Well here is an easy place to follow Korea's curve. 코로나 라이브. There is an English option. Our number of new cases has been dropping steadily, although we did have a little hiccup related again to the cult responsible for 80% of the cases here. Now they are dropping again. Looks like they are cancelling school for another two weeks to be safe, but i'm pretty confident we've rounded the corner and just need to continue to be vigilant and we'll get back to normal early next month. Last part is just my opinion anyway.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
1. Eff Bailey
2. My landscaping will never look as good as it will this year
3. Titos stock is doing well
4. Despite the global pandemic, my stress level is way down. My son has no trouble clearing the zone, AT ALL
5. The girl in the ad at the bottom of this page, doing pole vault in yellow, is strikingly beautiful.
You scroll all the way to the bottom of the page???

You must really be bored.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
You scroll all the way to the bottom of the page???

You must really be bored.

Working from home with dual 23" monitors. I can probably scroll all the way to the right and see the end of the flat earth.

Reactions: MJF

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Well here is an easy place to follow Korea's curve. 코로나 라이브. There is an English option. Our number of new cases has been dropping steadily, although we did have a little hiccup related again to the cult responsible for 80% of the cases here. Now they are dropping again. Looks like they are cancelling school for another two weeks to be safe, but i'm pretty confident we've rounded the corner and just need to continue to be vigilant and we'll get back to normal early next month. Last part is just my opinion anyway.

It is bad when a church is often referred to as a cult, but helping to spread an epidemic too? Def not a good look. Glad to hear that Korea might have turned a corner, be safe!

Reactions: CBG

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad