Confirmed with Link: NHL Suspends Season Due to Coronavirus

PuckItUp27

Sep 26, 2017
Assuming this is allowed here:

A friend who works for the NHL told me the league is asking arena availability for July. Looking at a few week suspension of season and 5 game playoff series rather than 7. Take it for what it's worth.

Edit: Teams would finish the rest of the regular season before playoffs​

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Assuming this is allowed here:

A friend who works for the NHL told me the league is asking arena availability for July. Looking at a few week suspension of season and 5 game playoff series rather than 7. Take it for what it's worth.​

That same thing is mentioned in the Seravalli tweet above. Seems most likely for right now.

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
Just want to reinforce the rules here, zero tolerance for any political posts, conspiracy theories or spread of FUD.

e21d8d9c4855c795cd83559c8dc392fe.png

The Lighthouse

Aug 1, 2011
Yeah, it just depends how quickly that call goes. Is the NHL going to tell the BOG what's what or will there be a debate about how to proceed?

Yeah I'm sure that there will be an extended discussion - including the likelihood of being able to reschedule and/or whether some portion will need to be canceled. I'm guessing things are so up in the air that for now they'll adopt a "let's shoot for finishing by July" as some of the tweets indicated but ultimately it will be wait and see. It's going to be a very interesting few months.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Yeah I'm sure that there will be an extended discussion - including the likelihood of being able to reschedule and/or whether some portion will need to be canceled. I'm guessing things are so up in the air that for now they'll adopt a "let's shoot for finishing by July" as some of the tweets indicated but ultimately it will be wait and see. It's going to be a very interesting few months.

When you have time, you use it. :sarcasm:

But seriously, if they push the season back too far it'll impact next season as well. I wonder if they'd do anything drastic like play in games or best of 3 for early rounds to speed things up.

Reactions: Beacon Isles

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
When you have time, you use it. :sarcasm:

But seriously, if they push the season back too far it'll impact next season as well. I wonder if they'd do anything drastic like play in games or best of 3 for early rounds to speed things up.

I think it all depends on how long this thing takes to run its course, and how devastating it will wind up being. If there's too long a break, they'll likely just end the season with no champion and start up a new season again in October. Kinda like how they've handled work stoppages in the past.

The Lighthouse

Aug 1, 2011
I think it all depends on how long this thing takes to run its course, and how devastating it will wind up being. If there's too long a break, they'll likely just end the season with no champion and start up a new season again in October. Kinda like how they've handled work stoppages in the past.

The difficulty is that we're right at the beginning in terms of US/Canada. Everything is going to end up tentative, and at this point I would not be surprised if we end up with no play until next season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad