NHL sells European broadcasting rights to Medge Consulting/AMI for 5 years

Status
Not open for further replies.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
What kind of picture quality should we expect from GC? Is it good enough to be watched full-screen on a 40" LCD display?

Yes, that's what I used last season. Streams are/were 3mbit/s HQ in 16:9.

hailgrabovski

Oct 31, 2010
www.twitter.com
I'd been lurking this thread with some interest, and just wanted to say thanks to those who have been inquiring about the situation, and passed on the information they've received. As soon as I saw it suggested that the NHL might provide Game Center Live, as opposed to the online service coming through ESPN, I was hoping that is what would happen.

Although I can wait until they update the website and start taking subscriptions, I thought I may as well ask if anyone inquired whether they'll be making the PS3 Game Center app available to Europe? As if I can use that to watch games on my PS3, then I might as well go ahead and cancel my ESPN subscription right now!

Zat

Mar 29, 2007
Although I can wait until they update the website and start taking subscriptions, I thought I may as well ask if anyone inquired whether they'll be making the PS3 Game Center app available to Europe? As if I can use that to watch games on my PS3, then I might as well go ahead and cancel my ESPN subscription right now!

No I don't know whether it's going to work in Europe, but even if it does, don't expect anything great. What I've heard is there's so many bugs and connection problems involved, the PS3 app is nearly unusable.

Vini

Sep 5, 2011
As above, thanks to all for reporting their findings. You all seem quite happy that there'll be streams available. I have to say though, I'd much prefer to watch the games on TV so I really hope ESPN:A/Someone else stumps up the $ to show these on TV (in HD!) in the UK.

My issues with streaming;

1. My connection isn't all that great
2. (I presume) It's not HD

I have everything crossed...

Zat

Mar 29, 2007
2. (I presume) It's not HD

Well it is 720p at the highest bitrate (3000 kbps) and it looks pretty damn fine even on a bigger screen. However the movement isn't as smooth as on TV, which is the biggest difference.

viperracer

Sep 6, 2011
Have been watching this thread with interest as eager to continue seeing this great sport and thanks again to all who have contributed.

Naturally the most popular result is going to be any broadcaster that can match or better the tv coverage offered by ESPN last season, which I doubt could happen.

Fortunately the NHL have recognised the fact their fans are very tech savvi and Ive been impressed with their desire to embrace technology with apps for Android and Iphone etc. and quality of information, coverage and video of the series, and hope the next chapter is enhanced further. The expansion of Gamecenter into Europe is certainly the way forward and given the NFL gamepass is available to uk subs for £154 (or£38 per month) per season, I would expect a similar content offering perhaps just under the £100 mark. Would that appease everyone?

Thatslegit

Aug 18, 2011
Linköping
Have been watching this thread with interest as eager to continue seeing this great sport and thanks again to all who have contributed.

Naturally the most popular result is going to be any broadcaster that can match or better the tv coverage offered by ESPN last season, which I doubt could happen.

Fortunately the NHL have recognised the fact their fans are very tech savvi and Ive been impressed with their desire to embrace technology with apps for Android and Iphone etc. and quality of information, coverage and video of the series, and hope the next chapter is enhanced further. The expansion of Gamecenter into Europe is certainly the way forward and given the NFL gamepass is available to uk subs for £154 (or£38 per month) per season, I would expect a similar content offering perhaps just under the £100 mark. Would that appease everyone?

No, it would not. Since my computer dosnt have hdmi, i wanna watch the games on tv. Besides, even if my computer had hdmi, it would never be as good as the tv broadcast in full HD.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
No, it would not. Since my computer dosnt have hdmi, i wanna watch the games on tv. Besides, even if my computer had hdmi, it would never be as good as the tv broadcast in full HD.

Sounds like a Catch-22 situation for you then unless ESPN retains their TV-rights.

For me, last season was the first time ever I got to watch NHL hockey in HD as my provider added ESPN America HD in February. NHL hockey in HD over in Europe is simply a rarity, and if you get SD feeds to the games like most of us Europeans do you might aswell look at the HQ streaming as a great option.

Ideally, we'd get all the games broadcasted through our TV in HD, but that's not the way things work for the time being.

Thatslegit

Aug 18, 2011
Linköping
Sounds like a Catch-22 situation for you then unless ESPN retains their TV-rights.

For me, last season was the first time ever I got to watch NHL hockey in HD as my provider added ESPN America HD in February. NHL hockey in HD over in Europe is simply a rarity, and if you get SD feeds to the games like most of us Europeans do you might aswell look at the HQ streaming as a great option.

Ideally, we'd get all the games broadcasted through our TV in HD, but that's not the way things work for the time being.

I dont think we will have to worry about that, they will find a way to broadcast NHL in Europe, that was the whole idea of selling the rights. And especially in a hot market like sweden, im positive any of the big sport channels, viasat, canal+ or espn will be showing NHL. Espn would be ideal for me too.

TweetyLeaf

Feb 7, 2009
Finland

There is DVI-HDMI cables....
And Besides you sound like you havent seen full hd flash stream on big inch tv.

I think you are not prepared to spent little money and effort to get the perfect solution, you sound like you desperately need the easiest solution that turns the chanel for you too.

GameCenter to Europe is the ultimate solution.

Thatslegit

Aug 18, 2011
Linköping
There is DVI-HDMI cables....
And Besides you sound like you havent seen full hd flash stream on big inch tv.

I think you are not prepared to spent little money and effort to get the perfect solution, you sound like you desperately need the easiest solution that turns the chanel for you too.

GameCenter to Europe is the ultimate solution.

I am willing to pay, and I have been paying for ESPN, Viasat and Canal+ in previous years. However, I am not willing to pay for a new computer and still not getting the same quality that I get from watching the tv HD broadcast. Im sure that there will be a really good coverage on NHL at regular television like its been in previous years here in Sweden.

DVI-HDMI cables, do they work just as good as regular HDMI cables?

TweetyLeaf

Feb 7, 2009
Finland
I am willing to pay, and I have been paying for ESPN, Viasat and Canal+ in previous years. However, I am not willing to pay for a new computer and still not getting the same quality that I get from watching the tv HD broadcast. Im sure that there will be a really good coverage on NHL at regular television like its been in previous years here in Sweden.

DVI-HDMI cables, do they work just as good as regular HDMI cables?

My point is that what Television HD broadcasts i have seen in Finland; the quality is WORSE than for example last years ESPN Players internet HD Streams.

DVI-HDMI works just as good as regular hdmi cables, the difference is picture quality (you really cant tell the difference with naked eye). and DVI-hdmi doesnt support audio transfer.

Zat

Mar 29, 2007
DVI-HDMI works just as good as regular hdmi cables, the difference is picture quality (you really cant tell the difference with naked eye). and DVI-hdmi doesnt support audio transfer.

There is zero difference in the picture quality. It's all digital and pixel-for-pixel perfect, whether by HDMI-HDMI or DVI-HDMI. So yeah, no HDMI port on your PC is not a great excuse. His other points remain though.

Thatslegit

Aug 18, 2011
Linköping
My point is that what Television HD broadcasts i have seen in Finland; the quality is WORSE than for example last years ESPN Players internet HD Streams.

Well then you must be having some real bad HD broadcasts in Finland if a 3000kbps stream is better. And the Hz will differ to, it wont be running as smooth with a stream no matter what.

But thanks for the tip on DVI-HDMI. When im plugging my comp to the TV with DVI its not great at all. So I will be really happy if DVI-HDMI gives me a good enough picture. Which I still doubt with my 2 year old laptop and 10 mbits internet. Or should 10 mbits be enough? I really dont know.

Zat

Mar 29, 2007
Well then you must be having some real bad HD broadcasts in Finland if a 3000kbps stream is better. And the Hz will differ to, it wont be running as smooth with a stream no matter what.
Yeah, I kinda doubt that too. A real HDTV broadcast beats the GCL stream, especially when it comes to smoothness. The picture quality is really good though, and unlike TV, they show every game.

But thanks for the tip on DVI-HDMI. When im plugging my comp to the TV with DVI its not great at all. So I will be really happy if DVI-HDMI gives me a good enough picture. Which I still doubt with my 2 year old laptop and 10 mbits internet. Or should 10 mbits be enough? I really dont know.
Your internet is fine. A constant 3 Mbps downstream would be enough, in theory anyway. An old computer could be a bottleneck, though; a high-resolution flash video can be quite taxing for an older processor. (edit: Then again, 2 years is not that old, even for a laptop. If the highest-resolution HD Youtube videos play well on that, you should be just fine.) GCL will probably have some kind of a trial period at the start of a season, so you should test it then. :)

Last edited:

Schalkenullvier*

****. I used to only get the espn Player for the Playoffs, I unfourtunately cant afford Having it For a Full season. Also, my crappy 1k Internet connection will make watching impossible. Bye-Bye, NHL :(

Thatslegit

Aug 18, 2011
Linköping
****. I used to only get the espn Player for the Playoffs, I unfourtunately cant afford Having it For a Full season. Also, my crappy 1k Internet connection will make watching impossible. Bye-Bye, NHL :(

Why is people saying that? The NHL Premiere is on its 4th?? year in Europe. Why? To marketing the NHL. The NHL would not accept that the TV broadcasts all of a sudden just ends like that.

Yeah, I kinda doubt that too. A real HDTV broadcast beats the GCL stream, especially when it comes to smoothness. The picture quality is really good though, and unlike TV, they show every game.

Your internet is fine. A constant 3 Mbps downstream would be enough, in theory anyway. An old computer could be a bottleneck, though; a high-resolution flash video can be quite taxing for an older processor. (edit: Then again, 2 years is not that old, even for a laptop. If the highest-resolution HD Youtube videos play well on that, you should be just fine.) GCL will probably have some kind of a trial period at the start of a season, so you should test it then. :)

I hope so too. Its just that its really bad when i use DVI so it might be something wrong with the tv or the computer. We will see. And my eye is sensitive, so i really need it to run smoothly. Im sure there will be good broadcast deal for tv, but if not, i will always have GCL as a backup.

Zat

Mar 29, 2007
Clicking Video>Live Video in Europe no longer results in being shown a restricted territory screen with an ESPN Player ad, now you see a splash about GameCenter. Still no prices or anything, they tell us to "check back next season". :)

knorthern knight

Mar 18, 2011
GTA
Clicking Video>Live Video in Europe no longer results in being shown a restricted territory screen with an ESPN Player ad, now you see a splash about GameCenter. Still no prices or anything, they tell us to "check back next season". :)
I'm in Toronto, but I want to get GCL to watch the Jets. Is there a signup webpage yet?

BTW, I sent a question on their contact form, about running GCL under linux (I run linux at home). The person replying said that linux is "not officially supported", but they've been viewing it on their linux laptop for 2 years now. The main thing is to have an uptodate version of Flash, as well as a fast enough internet connection. I also assume that decent graphics acceleration helps. I'll give it a try this season. Hopefully, I won't have to cancel in the 5-day window.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
I dont think we will have to worry about that, they will find a way to broadcast NHL in Europe, that was the whole idea of selling the rights. And especially in a hot market like sweden, im positive any of the big sport channels, viasat, canal+ or espn will be showing NHL. Espn would be ideal for me too.

Thought you were British.. but yes one way or the other there will be NHL on TV. We just don't know how many games or more importantly how many of them in HD. That's the thing, GCL with hdmi through the TV is better than the SD quality Viasat is having. If Viasat keeps broadcasting NHL without HD there's no point in having it for NHL purposes when you have the right setup for GCL.

I saw you were using a fairly old laptop, that's probably your problem just as much as the DVI unless it was quite expensive back then. My old laptop cannot carry HQ streams without destroying the bitrates.

Good stuff :)

Thatslegit

Aug 18, 2011
Linköping
Thought you were British.. but yes one way or the other there will be NHL on TV. We just don't know how many games or more importantly how many of them in HD. That's the thing, GCL with hdmi through the TV is better than the SD quality Viasat is having. If Viasat keeps broadcasting NHL without HD there's no point in having it for NHL purposes when you have the right setup for GCL.

I saw you were using a fairly old laptop, that's probably your problem just as much as the DVI unless it was quite expensive back then. My old laptop cannot carry HQ streams without destroying the bitrates.

Nope not British but from Linköping, Sweden.

My laptop is a Dell and was about 5000sek two years ago, so its not one of the suckiest ones but definitely not the best either. When I use the dvi-cable the picture always gets pretty bad, so i dont know if its the computer itself that is the problem or if its just the dvi-plugin thingy at the computer or at the tv. Should get better with and dvi-hdmi maybe.. Cause other than that computer is pretty fast.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad