NHL sells European broadcasting rights to Medge Consulting/AMI for 5 years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zat

Mar 29, 2007
Nope not British but from Linköping, Sweden.

My laptop is a Dell and was about 5000sek two years ago, so its not one of the suckiest ones but definitely not the best either. When I use the dvi-cable the picture always gets pretty bad, so i dont know if its the computer itself that is the problem or if its just the dvi-plugin thingy at the computer or at the tv. Should get better with and dvi-hdmi maybe.. Cause other than that computer is pretty fast.

I think your assessment is probably 100% correct. Two years is not long enough age for your computer to not be able to handle the video, and your picture quality worries would most likely be fixed with a DVI-HDMI cable or alternatively an HDMI cable with an HDMI-DVI adapter at one end.

Thatslegit

Aug 18, 2011
Linköping
I think your assessment is probably 100% correct. Two years is not long enough age for your computer to not be able to handle the video, and your picture quality worries would most likely be fixed with a DVI-HDMI cable or alternatively an HDMI cable with an HDMI-DVI adapter at one end.

Yeah we will see. Im pretty sure its the dvi input at the tv. Cause i tried with several cables and 2 diffrent computers and its still the same problem. Picture quality is good but problem is i have this thing going up and down on the screen every 10-15 seconds and especially during intense scenes. So using the tv hdmi input instead should definitely take that away.

Problem is still that its running smooth on the computer but still not as smooth as i want it to be, and especially not when im using the highest resultion at streams. During fast moments and the camera is going fast left or right it dosnt look smooth at all. My eye is sensitive, sometimes it bother me a little even when i watch regular tv in hd, the fast lefts and rights.. Very sensitive to HZ.. and a stream definitely makes that worse.. so idk.. still have faith in a good tv solution.

Edit: anyone hear any news? definitely hoping for espn. and i dont think viasat or canal+ wants to pay for exclusive rights in sweden.

Le Rosbeef

Jul 27, 2007
Fortunately the NHL have recognised the fact their fans are very tech savvi and Ive been impressed with their desire to embrace technology with apps for Android and Iphone etc. and quality of information, coverage and video of the series, and hope the next chapter is enhanced further. The expansion of Gamecenter into Europe is certainly the way forward and given the NFL gamepass is available to uk subs for £154 (or£38 per month) per season, I would expect a similar content offering perhaps just under the £100 mark. Would that appease everyone?

Do you work for the NHL or something? Flattering the fan when this is clearly all just about ca$hing in rather than providing coverage for Joe Average?

Streams via the web will not appease me. Nor will it appease a whole bunch of people who have been satisfied by watching copious amounts of NHL Hockey from the comfort of their sofa for several years in the UK, without having to rely on an internet connection.

The NHL - if it's serious about expanding the growth of the sport - needs to forget it's issues with certain broadcasters and find a way to add to its service, not cash in elsewhere. I am an avid hockey fan but if I am expected to buy a new laptop, upgrade my internet connection AND pay a subscription at the cost of what I already fork out to ESPNAmerica, then I'll just resort to the free highlights the following day and hook my hat on some NFL. That's the risk they will face from more than just me. I guess we'll see what they really want to prioritise - fans or $$$. I hope they choose wisely as they could have both...

Get ESPN HD sorted, asap...

knorthern knight

Mar 18, 2011
GTA
Streams via the web will not appease me. Nor will it appease a whole bunch of people who have been satisfied by watching copious amounts of NHL Hockey from the comfort of their sofa for several years in the UK, without having to rely on an internet connection.
I'm in the opposite camp. I can get 17 digital TV channels, most in high-definition, free OTA (Over The Air). I just checked out the Rogers Cable website here in Toronto, Canada. To get the equivalant of Gamecenter, I'd have to subscribe to "Digital Basic", rent a high-def digital box, and then pay extra for the "NHL Network" channel. Total cost $60.44 per month. Or I can buy the digital box outright for $319.95, and not have to pay $12.95/month rental for it. In my particular case, I'm better off with the streaming option.

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
As with regards to the two posts above, the answer lies somewhere in-between. The NHL should be available both on TV and via streaming, but in order to grow in Europe it need be on channels that large amounts of people have access to without paying loads of extra cash and they must also make sure it's being followed up with advertising etc.

I think tv will work best for more casual fans who just enjoy watching hockey whereas the streaming option works best for die-hards who'll want to watch their own team.

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
Are the NHL even aware of the fact that they don't have a deal in place after selling their rights and they risk to be stuck without coverage this season?

Last edited:

HabsByTheBay

Dec 3, 2010
London
As with regards to the two posts above, the answer lies somewhere in-between. The NHL should be available both on TV and via streaming, but in order to grow in Europe it need be on channels that large amounts of people have access to without paying loads of extra cash and they must also make sure it's being followed up with advertising etc.

I think tv will work best for more casual fans who just enjoy watching hockey whereas the streaming option works best for die-hards who'll want to watch their own team.
It's not like it's mutually exclusive. I'm sure we'll get Gamecenter or some sort of streaming option in Europe. It's just whether we'll also get TV.

Thatslegit

Aug 18, 2011
Linköping
Both ESPN and GCL claims in emails that GCL will be brought to Europe, so its pretty much official.

However i have heard people talking about GCL confirming that the PS3 app will also be released in Europe, but has anyone heard anything about this from PS3?

Eaglepride*

Depends on the price tag AND blackout option. If its 200 $ + I'm not interested 180 $ I'd be willing.

Le Rosbeef

Jul 27, 2007

Can't agree.

I've been watching the NHL for 20+ years. I'm a die-hard Sharks fan - but I'll watch any NHL games and what I miss I'll chase down on the highlight packages on the web. Be careful not to assume I'm a casual fan :) I am 100% behind wanting the same, at the very least, HD package as I've subscribed to for years now on my TV...

HabsByTheBay

Dec 3, 2010
London
I would subscribe to both, but TV is fine for me because the Habs get on ESPN America enough to make it worth it and it's an absolute no-brainer for the playoffs.

there is no way in hell I would want to be staring at a computer screen when I could be watching the playoffs on my flat screen.

russianrocket24

Just a reminder to European fans that there is a FB page relating to the current lack of TV deals for 2011-12: http://goo.gl/vwjU0 and we've got a survey too: http://goo.gl/elijj :D

Thanks for all the work, I highly appreciate this!! Your FB page keeps me updated and I just filled in the survey.

No TV coverage sucks a lot. I extended my cable network and bought an extra TV for the bedroom only to watch the games in the night on ESPN America.

Even they get a deal done in Germany with another network, there will most probably never be as much coverage as with ESPNA.

Watching streams is not really an option for me.
Good job NHL, starting the season in Germany to sell the product but blank the TV fans out in the same move. Geniuses!!!

AlanHUK

5-14-6-1
Nov 27, 2010
Nottingham, England
game center on sky sports via red button would be the best possible thing to have in the UK, but i highly doubt they'd roll that out for us.

But as long as we get ESPN A levels of coverage I'd be happy

Juniortrekkie

Sep 16, 2011
Halesowen, UK
Hey all, I recently found this thead via another thread about the same issue, but with a lot less people getting involved. I've read through everything that's been stated, but was just wondering if anyone could answer a question or two please about the GCL?

Firstly just a little bit about myself, I'm a big Pens fan but live near Birmingham, United Kingdom, and I don't fancy staying up until 3a.m. waiting for some of their games to start. I was eagerly looking forward to using ESPN America until I went to check the TV listings for the first games of the seasons to see if Pittsburgh were scheduled, when I realised that there was no games at all I had to check to see if they were even airing NHL games. Google kindly informed me, with help from actual human beings too :laugh: that ESPN had lost their rights. So, basically, today is the first day I've heard of this :(

Anyway back on topic, I read this thread and pretty much decided the GCL would be the best way for me to go, I'll get to watch more games than I would with just purchasing ESPN America on Sky, and I'm hoping for the same price.

My question is based around availability, or more specifically not being able to watch if it's being broadcast on Sky (for me). I do not have the sports package for Sky, and my broadband gives me the basic VirginMedia package as well. If one of my beloved Pens games is shown on a channel that my current subscription does not give me access to, will I be locked out of watching it?

Second question is based on the same thing, but to do with nationally broadcasts. If a game is shown live over any of the following channels, will this effect my ability to watch them on the GCL too?

The game is being televised nationally - In the U.S., this includes NBC, Versus, and the NHL Network. In Canada, this includes CBC, TSN, and the NHL Network.

THanks for reading, any response is appreciated.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Hey all, I recently found this thead via another thread about the same issue, but with a lot less people getting involved. I've read through everything that's been stated, but was just wondering if anyone could answer a question or two please about the GCL?

Firstly just a little bit about myself, I'm a big Pens fan but live near Birmingham, United Kingdom, and I don't fancy staying up until 3a.m. waiting for some of their games to start. I was eagerly looking forward to using ESPN America until I went to check the TV listings for the first games of the seasons to see if Pittsburgh were scheduled, when I realised that there was no games at all I had to check to see if they were even airing NHL games. Google kindly informed me, with help from actual human beings too :laugh: that ESPN had lost their rights. So, basically, today is the first day I've heard of this :(

Anyway back on topic, I read this thread and pretty much decided the GCL would be the best way for me to go, I'll get to watch more games than I would with just purchasing ESPN America on Sky, and I'm hoping for the same price.

My question is based around availability, or more specifically not being able to watch if it's being broadcast on Sky (for me). I do not have the sports package for Sky, and my broadband gives me the basic VirginMedia package as well. If one of my beloved Pens games is shown on a channel that my current subscription does not give me access to, will I be locked out of watching it?

Second question is based on the same thing, but to do with nationally broadcasts. If a game is shown live over any of the following channels, will this effect my ability to watch them on the GCL too?

Last year with ESPNplayer (which pretty much had the same functionality as GCL) in Europe there were no blackouts. I'd be surprised if GCL worked differently.

Dillbotnik

Sep 7, 2011
United Kingdom

Already answered, and I was wrong :facepalm:

Last edited:

Juniortrekkie

Sep 16, 2011
Halesowen, UK
Last year with ESPNplayer (which pretty much had the same functionality as GCL) in Europe there were no blackouts. I'd be surprised if GCL worked differently.

Thanks, I hope so too. Still waiting for a response from the GCL support team about other questions, I'm extremely excited for the up coming season!

Already answered, and I was wrong :facepalm:

Thanks for trying anyway, and for the quick responses :handclap:

Zat

Mar 29, 2007
At the moment you can't sign up for the paid service. You can create an account in anticipation of the paid service, which (according to a previous post) should be available on Tuesday :)

The GCL emails I've seen have said they'll be opening the thing "the last week of September".. edit: nevermind, yeah, I now saw the post with the GCL email saying 20th :)

alpa

Yoda+Gandalf=Sutter
Dec 3, 2006
Sweden and Slovenia
I would subscribe to both, but TV is fine for me because the Habs get on ESPN America enough to make it worth it and it's an absolute no-brainer for the playoffs.

there is no way in hell I would want to be staring at a computer screen when I could be watching the playoffs on my flat screen.

Well if your telly isn't of dinosaur age you connect your computer to your TV-set through a HDMI cable and voilà you have hockey on your wall or wherever your flat screen is. That is the way I've been watching it starting last season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad