NHL sells European broadcasting rights to Medge Consulting/AMI for 5 years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Franck

eltiT resU motsuC
Jan 5, 2010
Gothenburg
but isn't the point of international games to grow the sport? What's the point of playing them in places where hockey is already popular?

one-hundred-100-dollar-bill.jpg

The NHL just wants the "safe" money that they'll get from playing in Sweden and Finland. Holding games in places like Paris or London where it might actually grow the interest in hockey and the NHL would be a big financial risk for the NHL. They would much rather have the games played in places where they can charge $100+ for the tickets and still sell-out the games.

The game they played in Germany this year was a step in the right direction, hopefully there will be more games there next season as well as games in the UK. I remember reading that the people in Belfast were really pleased with how the exhibition game played by the Bruins there last season went and that they were very interested in hosting a Premiere game at some point, so I guess that is an option for the NHL in the UK other than London.

Last edited:

AlanHUK

5-14-6-1
Nov 27, 2010
Nottingham, England
one-hundred-100-dollar-bill.jpg

The NHL just wants the "safe" money that they'll get from playing in Sweden and Finland. Holding games in places like Paris or London where it might actually grow the interest in hockey and the NHL would be a big financial risk for the NHL. They would much rather have the games played in places where they can charge $100+ for the tickets and still sell-out the games.

The game they played in Germany this year was a step in the right direction, hopefully there will be more games there next season as well as games in the UK. I remember reading that the people in Belfast were really pleased with how the exhibition game played by the Bruins there last season went and that they were very interested in hosting a Premiere game at some point, so I guess that is an option for the NHL in the UK other than London.

London hosted the first ever European season openers and sold out both games in a 17,000+ seat arena.

Stockholm sold out at 13,800

edit:

London's 2 games 35,012
Stockholm's 2 games 27,600

so assuming the tickets in Stockholm are $100 each that is $2,760,000, meaning the o2 could charge $79 per ticket and make more money.

Last edited:

Franck

eltiT resU motsuC
Jan 5, 2010
Gothenburg
London hosted the first ever European season openers and sold out both games in a 17,000+ seat arena.

Stockholm sold out at 13,800

edit:

London's 2 games 35,012
Stockholm's 2 games 27,600

so assuming the tickets in Stockholm are $100 each that is $2,760,000, meaning the o2 could charge $79 per ticket and make more money.

They are not. When I looked the very cheapest tickets were about $100, lower bowl seats went for something like $300+, iirc.

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
Germany seems like a potentially huge growth market for the NHL, what with hockey already having it's small foothold there. I hope they focus a lot more attention there in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad