NHL sells European broadcasting rights to Medge Consulting/AMI for 5 years

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlanHUK

5-14-6-1
Nov 27, 2010
Nottingham, England
No news regarding european coverage yet, AMI hope to announce something within a month.

I have asked for them to keep me updated on what is going on with it, though I'm not sure if they will.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Not looking good really. ESPN in the UK is the main market leader, the only other channel I can think of even displays Ice Hockey is Sky Sports and I think that's one EIHL game a fortnight or something like that. Basically, if ESPN doesn't buy the rights, then the UK is screwed for coverage unless one of Eurosport, BBC, Sky or Channel 4 decided to buy the rights. I doubt BBC will as they're trying to cut back on costs and Channel 4 wouldn't achieve high numbers I think so it'd be down to Sky and Eurosport. Sky is getting F1 soon and is already chock full of sports but in the time slot it could work. They'd be best for it I reckon, even if t means paying.

vsk92

Alltid IFK
Mar 31, 2011
Scotland.
could sky's decision to show nhl games in britain be affected anyway by the number of sky viewers of the EIHL?? i really hope not :(

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
I don't really see Sky getting into it. Before ESPN/NASN, Five showed NHL. Surely Sky could have had the rights back then, but just didn't bother. And even Five eventually dropped it.

If Sky got it after all, it would probably fairly skeleton coverage rather than the very extensive coverage on ESPN.

Thatslegit

Aug 18, 2011
Linköping
Well Peter Liljestand from Medge said to a swedish newspaper that the deal was more or less done, but that they just hadnt signed any papers yet. But i dont know if that was just for the swedish market or for Europe in general.

Zat

Mar 29, 2007
Well Peter Liljestand from Medge said to a swedish newspaper that the deal was more or less done, but that they just hadnt signed any papers yet. But i dont know if that was just for the swedish market or for Europe in general.

Jesus christ this is nerve-wracking.

AlanHUK

5-14-6-1
Nov 27, 2010
Nottingham, England
I don't really see Sky getting into it. Before ESPN/NASN, Five showed NHL. Surely Sky could have had the rights back then, but just didn't bother. And even Five eventually dropped it.

If Sky got it after all, it would probably fairly skeleton coverage rather than the very extensive coverage on ESPN.

I'm not too sure, about Sky, I have noticed they have had more NHL coverage on sky sports news over the last year, though the damn riots after the final ended up getting as much coverage as game 7.

If the did get it they would probably push it to link with the EIHL to try and boost the ratings for that.

HabsByTheBay

Dec 3, 2010
London

I don't think Sky have even been remotely interested in American sport since ESPN came about, with the exception of the NFL (which is head and shoulders above the others in interest).

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
If SKY is your measuring standard say bye-bye. We dont stand for Subliminal. :squint:

joe89

Apr 30, 2009

What paper? You have a link to that?

Something should be in place soon now that we're approaching September already..

Le Rosbeef

Jul 27, 2007
Well I'm late to the party on this - only found out this morning after some guy picked up on my complete naivity about it all on Twitter.

I'll say this for the UK - ESPNAmerica (and before it, NASN) has been the single best thing for hockey in the UK bar none and if the replacement isn't equally as positive (or better? Ha!) I'm going to be livid and will be sending a hate-fueled email to Gary Bettman.

This is juvenile - the NHL and ESPN have 'history' and while I buy the official line that this will probably be a way to maximise the NHL's potential, ... blah blah blah, any rational individual can see it's a two finger salute at ESPN being able to call the shots in Europe. Juvenile behaviour which affects my love for the game. Are we back in school?

On ESPNA, Hockey has been unrivalled and anyone who thinks differently has never subscribed. With baseball season not clashing too severely time-wise with the NHL coverage and no rights to show NBA or NFL, hockey fans have flocked to subscribe as the coverage was outstanding. A dream and well worth the subscription I'd paid for quite some time.

Previously, as has been mentioned, Five used to show a game a week with terrible colour commentary, amateur UK-led production. It didn't work. If we're heading back to those dark days, it turns my stomach.

Nothing else in the UK is viable to match the scale it's been on. SkySports won't do it justice (although I could see them scooping it up and burying it where the sun don't shine, just to destroy a competitor...) and a new network won't get off the ground - people won't subscribe in big numbers to make worthwhile, what you would presume, would be a decent size £££ to acquire the rights and channel set up costs in the first instance. ESPNA is the only viable option and if they deny them because of politics, I'll hold the NHL fully accountable. Heck, even though I love my Gators and college football, I'd dump my subscription in an INSTANT if hockey is gone (and get a college game day pass for the Gator football). ESPNA must know this but they also know they're the only viable option - talk about standoff.

Those talking about internet coverage - I think is a daaaangerous path to explore. While we're all here on the web and proficient, broadband speeds are an issue still, IMO, for steady streaming. I used to have a great connection but moved a little out of town and now I'm crawling to a level which makes streaming tricky.

Likewise, I can think of many family members that wouldn't know where to start to sort streaming the web, say, to their TV etc. I'm not even sure if my Granddad has the internet but he never misses an NHL game in his retirement and I know that's the only reason he subscribes to ESPNA. Nothing beats the simplicity of beer in hand and sofa to watch a game and this new distributor needs to remember that.

Overall, this is a potentially disastrous time for UK Fans of the NHL because I fear that this is going to be a 'split the pie more ways' resolution. If ESPN's coverage goes down, which I expect it to, I'm going to fume. I hope these people in suits (who don't care about sport, just money) don't lose sight of the reason they even HAVE a business in the first place - us.

EDIT: I can't wait for the day I can subscribe to a Sharks 24/7 Network anyway. Make it happen Boyler! ;)

kevkev

Nov 18, 2010
London, UK
www.powerplaygoal.com
I emailed Medge with my concerns regarding the streaming of hockey last night and very promptly recieved an email this morining from them:
Thank you for your mail and taking the time to voice your concerns for the upcoming season.

We (Medge and AMI) acquired the rights to the next 5 seasons this summer and have since then been in intensive negotiations with interested parties forthe broadcasting of the season on television. When it cones to the www operations we are expecting at the very least to be able to offer a service equal to that of the Espn player you have become used to in the past. At this moment we cannot say however whether this would be via ESPN or direct via the NHL.com site itself (which incidentally had been further expanded for the coming season)

Please be a little patient and keep an eye on the press/www as to the information once the discussions are concluded.

Regards
Tim

So, it looks like there is still hope for us yet.

Kev.

Le Rosbeef

Jul 27, 2007
Thanks for the update, Kev, Appreciate it.

Can't help but think this will be a bit of a standoff for the time being. AMI/Medge wants to maximise it's $$$ but ESPNAmerica knows it's really the only logical acquirer of these rights given its platform. Who will give in first? Only a month until hockey... it needs to be concluded soon, you'd think.

Streaming on the web is all well and good for the technically up to date fan but I worry about those who aren't - let's hope AMI/Medge don't get greedy and forget why they have a business in the first place - the fans.

AlanHUK

5-14-6-1
Nov 27, 2010
Nottingham, England
Just spoke with someone working at AMI, they didn't seem too happy with me having the number I used, but they said they have things in place, but can neither confirm nor deny anything in relation to details of what is going to happen, but to keep watching the news and it should be revealed shortly.

speculating now but the only news I can think of that would cover this in the UK would be sky sports news.

edit: It seems that medge are far more open than AMI but as long as we can still watch the NHL here I'm happy

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I'm not as worried about there being streaming or not. But I'm afraid it might be very expensive and the quality might be bad. My faith in the possible carriers here in Sweden is very low.

Shame they had to mess with a solution the customers were very pleased with.

Son of Krypton

After signing in to ESPN Player earlier today, I received this newsletter via email:

Get Ready for Live Sports Action this Season! LIVE

We know you love NHL and we are still speaking to the current rights holders about the potential for English-language rights in the Europe, Middle East and Africa region. We remain interested in continuing our coverage if the right opportunity exists. We’ll share more information with you at an appropriate time in the future.

ESPN Player also covers a great range of sports action and a new and exciting season of college football action is about to kick off and you can enjoy the best and most comprehensive live coverage with an ESPN College Pass, with passes starting from only 102 SEK

Watch over 400 live and on-demand games from the regular season featuring the top teams from the biggest conferences. Then we’ll bring you the best of the bowl games in December followed by the major BCS bowls and the National Championship Game. The ESPN College Pass is your ultimate sports ticket and also gives you access to a whole world of College sports including NCAA Basketball, NCAA Lacrosse, NCAA Baseball & Softball and NCAA Hockey.

Plus, we’ve got X Games, World Series of Poker and American Le Mans coverage to choose from. It’s all live, on-demand and streamed in high quality! Sign up now and enjoy more live sports on ESPN Player.

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
I can't help thinking that the NHL and AMI/Medge have somewhat overvalued the interest the NHL has in Europe and what they might be getting in terms of money. As long as most games are on in the middle of the night, real interest of the type that makes you pay for a subscription, will be only for the select few and the NHL will never be mainstream.

Perhaps in Sweden and Finland these rights hold a fair bit of value but for the rest of Europe it's a bit meh, so why the NHL has sold the rights when ESPN (in particular) and Viasat have given it good coverage is beyond me.

If the NHL wants to drum up interst in Europe then there should be a live game every day that Europeans can follow.

AlanHUK

5-14-6-1
Nov 27, 2010
Nottingham, England
If the NHL wants to drum up interst in Europe then there should be a live game every day that Europeans can follow.

This is kinda hard to do, a live game each day would mean games starting at 4pm Eastern, everyday, which would suck for the teams playing it, their local fans would get screwed.

But when their were games starting between 12-4pm Eastern at the weekend and they weren't shown live it was a bit of a pisstake, especially when they were still showing live games between midnight and 6am

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
This is kinda hard to do, a live game each day would mean games starting at 4pm Eastern, everyday, which would suck for the teams playing it, their local fans would get screwed.

But when their were games starting between 12-4pm Eastern at the weekend and they weren't shown live it was a bit of a pisstake, especially when they were still showing live games between midnight and 6am

My point exactly and also the reason why the NHL will never be really big in Europe. Either the teams will have to screw their own fans over by playing more matinees on weekdays or the NHL won't be watched outside of NA.

As for the weekend games, I wholeheartedly agree and also they often didn't show matinees on Mondays either when they could've, which says more about the NHLs standing than we'd like to know.

I really hope that a service like ESPN360 will be provided by whatever company buys the rights. I love to be able to watch games on demand when I wake up in on weekend mornings.

stefanh

Aug 13, 2006
Gothenburg
The talk on twitter (unconfirmed) is that Gamecenter live will be available in all regions of the world for next season. Let's hope this is the case

vsk92

Alltid IFK
Mar 31, 2011
Scotland.
The talk on twitter (unconfirmed) is that Gamecenter live will be available in all regions of the world for next season. Let's hope this is the case

is that the thing when you go onto the nhl website and under a game there's the watch live option thing??

Mundy

Crikey
Feb 19, 2009
It's too cold
I just hope Iceland doesn't become a black hole for NHL coverage again. Before NASN, there was absolutely no way to watch the NHL here other than low quality streams.

Zat

Mar 29, 2007
is that the thing when you go onto the nhl website and under a game there's the watch live option thing??

That's the one. Also the streams themselves will be identical to what ESPN Player's had, because ESPN actually simply showed GameCenter's streams the past few seasons. GameCenter has the option to select between home and away feeds though! :yo:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->