NHL sells European broadcasting rights to Medge Consulting/AMI for 5 years

Status
Not open for further replies.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
This might indeed be a huge blow to coverage over here especially if it includes the online broadcasting rights. Buying one of Canal+ or Viasat's online services is just not happening, it's total crap from quality to pricing. While it's nice to know where the TV rights are landing, you rely on the internet package to watch your team and the teams you like to follow play every game. I hope ESPN can continue to distribute them here even in the future.

Furthermore, ESPN America is the only channel that has been broadcasting every game simultaniously in HD. Actually since a while back, Viasat hasn't even had a channel to broadcast their hockey in HD. If Viasat is to buy this piece of rights with an extended amount of games(the previous package they bought had 5 games/week) they better open up a new HD channel, preferably Viasat Hockey HD. I'd say that it's a likely solution, and if so - good, but until we know I'll be a little scared over this. Best case scenario we finally get two games a night I suppose, but I'm sceptical to that happening.

Combined, ESPN America(or back to the NASN days) and Viasat(C+) have had an acceptable coverage over the last few years and ESPN America has always had brilliant coverage of the playoffs. I was happy with the way things were last season, and I hope that this won't change that sentiment.

filek

Oct 2, 2009
TV is a separate story, but I don't understand why NHL would also sell online broadcast rights???

NFL, MLB, NBA all sell its game passes to both North American and worldwide audiences and make tons of money off it. Just invest a bit in content delivery network and sell Center Ice to everyone.

Bravo Bettman :help:

Mwd711

Jan 20, 2006
TV is a separate story, but I don't understand why NHL would also sell online broadcast rights???

NFL, MLB, NBA all sell its game passes to both North American and worldwide audiences and make tons of money off it. Just invest a bit in content delivery network and sell Center Ice to everyone.

Bravo Bettman :help:

Just a guess, but I would say it's money. The broadband rights are probably as lucrative as the broadcast rights when it comes to making money internationally. When it comes to bidding, I'm sure that the addition on broadband rights helped bring in more cash for the league. Financially, it may make more sense for the league even if it's cumbersome for the fans.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Just a guess, but I would say it's money. The broadband rights are probably as lucrative as the broadcast rights when it comes to making money internationally. When it comes to bidding, I'm sure that the addition on broadband rights helped bring in more cash for the league. Financially, it may make more sense for the league even if it's cumbersome for the fans.

Something tells me the money involved in the European deals is not big enough to outweigh the whole "promoting the game" aspect of it. There's very few bidders, most of them from very small markets, so we aren't looking at soccer type numbers of 100s of millions here.

I know that to the department involved, a 2 million net gain, for example, would be a lot to show for when it comes to justifying the "performance" of your team but in the big picture of spreading the reach of the NHL it's rather small potatoes.

The NHL would be foolish to sacrifice widespread availability for a relatively small profit.

AlanHUK

5-14-6-1
Nov 27, 2010
Nottingham, England
I noticed a few NHL 'highlight' clips on eurosport the other night during it's channel off air sequence.

Also hockey has been taken off the 'sports on ESPN America' tab on their website, I emailed them asking about it, so hopefully I will get a reply soon.

Mwd711

Jan 20, 2006
Something tells me the money involved in the European deals is not big enough to outweigh the whole "promoting the game" aspect of it. There's very few bidders, most of them from very small markets, so we aren't looking at soccer type numbers of 100s of millions here.

I know that to the department involved, a 2 million net gain, for example, would be a lot to show for when it comes to justifying the "performance" of your team but in the big picture of spreading the reach of the NHL it's rather small potatoes.

The NHL would be foolish to sacrifice widespread availability for a relatively small profit.

The flip side of that argument is what's in it for the prospective bidders? If they just get the games themselves, is it worth making a bid? Perhaps it's only profitable for them if they have the broadband rights. Without it, it may not make sense for bidders to make the effort. I'm guessing the rights holders make more money from broadband than they do with the broadcast rights internationally. Hence, the league gets better bids and more money over a pure broadcasting deal.

Last edited:

welshrangersfan

Mar 30, 2011
This waiting for news, any news, is just horrible. ESPN America are totally stonewalling - not responding to emails, tweets, facebook. Absolutely no response. Despicable way to treat customers, utter disregard. Whilst I don't expect them to go into specifics of any negotiations, they could at least say something.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
NHL isn't listen at espnplayer.com, FFFUUUU?

This is what I was REALLY worrying about.

The NHL is no longer listed on the ESPNplayer.

So will there be ANY opportunity online to purchase anything like that and if so, will there be a considerable difference in costs?

Zat

Mar 29, 2007
This is what I was REALLY worrying about.

The NHL is no longer listed on the ESPNplayer.

So will there be ANY opportunity online to purchase anything like that and if so, will there be a considerable difference in costs?

Googling brought me to the Calgarypuck forums (of all places), and someone there said this:
calgaryboy@Calgarypuck said:
Had a brief conversation on espn player hotline /via their chat room/ They dont know, if there will be any NHL games on epsn player this season, but, and that is the most important, there WILL be NHL online games for Europe , that is for sure, that is what i was told. If NHL wont be on espn player, there will be other broadcater/s. So the only question is - will it be on espn player, or anywhere else? I was told, if espn wont do this service, it is possible, NHL gamecenter live will lift up those restrictions for Europe, ant that´s it.

So at least an ESPN Player representative thinks there will be someone streaming NHL, if not them.

welshrangersfan

Mar 30, 2011
from a UK point of view, broadband streaming is all good and well, but the loss of TV coverage on ESPN America, which is accessible to a good number of Sky Sports subscribers thanks to the channel being included free in the ESPN package, will be a massive blow to the growing popularity of the NHL in the UK.

crabcz

Sep 17, 2007
Prague
Well, then I'm going back to illegal streams. I don't quite understand how it's a better deal to limit their product exposure, but I can cheaply deal with that.

Last season I paid €115 for EspnPlayer.com, I can pay half that for sh**tier and illegal h****ystreams.com or just try to catch a free stream.

Walnut

Jun 20, 2007
Basingstoke, UK
Well this sucks and blows at the same time :cry:. Not sure which other broadcaster would pick up the package in the UK.

No station will set up a separate station primarily for sport after ITV & Setanta failed before the recession took hold.

I just hope that an internet package will come about that provides the same service ESPN did. It's depressing to look at ESPNplayer and see them offering Poker, US Le Mans & X games instead of the NHL.

welshrangersfan

Mar 30, 2011
There are a few viable tv stations that could bid - Sky Sports, British Eurosport, Premier Sports, ESPN/ESPN America, Five USA.

All is not lost until the fat lady sings.........but she is clearing her throat.

Jnr78

Jul 2, 2011
Is it possible that Medge and AMI will work on establishing a european version of NHL Network on European cable providers?

This article from earlier this year says the NHL Network wants to broaden its presence in Europe.

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2011/01/20110110/Media/NHL-Network.aspx

Thinking there could be something like local language rights to games (like Viasat in Scandinavia last couple of years) and then NHL Network taking over from ESPN America with pan-European rights.

Thatslegit

Aug 18, 2011
Linköping
Hang on.. Medge/AMI, arent they just the middle man? If ESPN has bought the rights direct from the NHL in previous years, what makes you all think they wont but them from medge/ami?

Zat

Mar 29, 2007
Hang on.. Medge/AMI, arent they just the middle man? If ESPN has bought the rights direct from the NHL in previous years, what makes you all think they wont but them from medge/ami?

I'd say there's about a 50:50 chance of that happening (i.e. pretty likely), but until we actually hear from them, anything is possible, and that's what's so worrying about this.

AlanHUK

5-14-6-1
Nov 27, 2010
Nottingham, England
I'd like to think the contract had a clause saying that they must make the games available to all countries in Europe, otherwise it will cause a regression for the NHL's audience.

But it's so weird to not have any information regarding the broadcasting of it at this time of the year

edit: just found a number for AMI, I'll phone them in the morning and see if they have any info.

there is also a number based in Sweden for Medge Consulting if anyone is interested I can pass that on

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->