NHL sells European broadcasting rights to Medge Consulting/AMI for 5 years

Status
Not open for further replies.

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
That's the one. Also the streams themselves will be identical to what ESPN Player's had, because ESPN actually simply showed GameCenter's streams the past few seasons. GameCenter has the option to select between home and away feeds though! :yo:

As long as they have an option to hide scores I'm happy!

dohfOs

The talk on twitter (unconfirmed) is that Gamecenter live will be available in all regions of the world for next season. Let's hope this is the case

Aye, posted the screenshot (which shows the E-Mail sent out by the NHL GameCenter Live support)
here.

"As of the end of the 2010-11 season, ESPN Player will no longer be covering NHL hockey in Europe. NHL GameCenter Live is now available in all regions of the world, registration should be available starting the last week of September."

Begging it's true.

Last edited by a moderator:

AlanHUK

5-14-6-1
Nov 27, 2010
Nottingham, England
the best thing about ESPN 360/player was that you could watch 'as live' the next day and have your account set to hide scores, so you could enjoy the games without being awake untill stupid am.

Zat

Mar 29, 2007
Yup. If game center does not give that opportunity it's worthless.

What, of course it does. ESPN Player was basically a (worse) frontend for GameCenter Live's European customers, nothing more, nothing less. I guarantee you there will be not less features but more, and there's nothing you will miss about ESPN Player if/when the actual GameCenter Live comes here.

The archive is essentially the same as ESPN Player's was.

Score-hiding works too.

edgeeyuk

Aug 30, 2011
Aye, posted the screenshot (which shows the E-Mail sent out by the NHL GameCenter Live support)
[mod]
"As of the end of the 2010-11 season, ESPN Player will no longer be covering NHL hockey in Europe. NHL GameCenter Live is now available in all regions of the world, registration should be available starting the last week of September."

Begging it's true.
I just hope is the same price or around espn players price.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
the best thing about ESPN 360/player was that you could watch 'as live' the next day and have your account set to hide scores, so you could enjoy the games without being awake untill stupid am.

Gamecenter does the same thing. Been using it the last two seasons. The only drawback are the blackout rules in North America. You also get a wide array of live stats and other goodies.

Zat

Mar 29, 2007
(which is also the only bad thing with GC, you have to pay for a full season. Cannot buy just a single month)

OK this is one negative thing I hadn't considered. However, the price isn't bad if it's around 80-90€ but I definitely won't go over 100€. Also despite the full season commitment, I think GameCenter allows you to pay it in monthly chunks - someone please confirm if this has been the case.

(Hell, if it is monthly installments, I'm not sure if my promised hard limit of 100 € would hold :laugh:)

vvvvvvvvv Alright then it's bye bye money and here I come GCL

Last edited:

Jonas1235

Jan 8, 2008
Calgary
OK this is one negative thing I hadn't considered. However, the price isn't bad if it's around 80-90€ but I definitely won't go over 100€. Also despite the full season commitment, I think GameCenter allows you to pay it in monthly chunks - someone please confirm if this has been the case.

(Hell, if it is monthly installments, I'm not sure if my promised hard limit of 100 € would hold :laugh:)

it gets deducted monthly automatically from your credit card.

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
Just got this confirmed from NHL Game Center:

Hello,

Yes, Game Center Live will not be available in Europe for this upcoming season. New subscriptions should be available by September 20th. You can watch and the archives, and the scoreboard can be hidden.

Thank you,
Customer Service Representative

I breathe a sigh of relief!!

Zat

Mar 29, 2007
Yes, Game Center Live will not be available in Europe for this upcoming season.

So I take it the bolded word was a mistake? I have to guess so. :)

edit: I got that very same mail. Jesus christ they're copy-pasting that same thing to everyone and they all contain that same mistype. Way to create confusion, NHL

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
So I take it the bolded word was a mistake? I have to guess so. :)

edit: I got that very same mail. Jesus christ they're copy-pasting that same thing to everyone and they all contain that same mistype. Way to create confusion, NHL[/QUOTE

I assume it's supposed to say 'now' and

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
Can you have multiple people watching gamecenter at once, or is it one person logged in at a time per account? I know MLB.TV allows multiple people to be logged in at once. Just saying, if multiple people were allowed to, you could go in as a group and save money with it.

vsk92

Alltid IFK
Mar 31, 2011
Scotland.
does anyone know how much it will cost?? i had the espn player thing for last season and that was £12 a month, so hopefully its not much more than that or even better if its cheaper :P

Zat

Mar 29, 2007
does anyone know how much it will cost?? i had the espn player thing for last season and that was £12 a month, so hopefully its not much more than that or even better if its cheaper :P

If it remains as it has been, you must commit yourself to a whole season for a total sum of $169 (about 118 €), which can be either paid as a lump sum or in 8 monthly installments of about $21.

Zat

Mar 29, 2007
Does that include playoffs?

Yeah, it does. This is only based on previous years of course, nothing's certain yet.

One thing I really hope is that the NHL won't be implementing any sort of blackout policy for European GCL. Sure, ESPN Player never had any, i.e. every game was available regardless of whether it was televised on European channels, but the NHL could be a different cookie, and the new rights contract itself could be different. This sort of thing could potentially make the playoffs time a disaster.

Last edited:

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
Silly question, but are games archived? So i can sleep at a regular time and then watch them without knowing the score the next day.

If so, this is awesome

Zat

Mar 29, 2007
Silly question, but are games archived? So i can sleep at a regular time and then watch them without knowing the score the next day.

If so, this is awesome

Absolutely. In fact, I heard they have several seasons worth of archives that you can access freely, unlike ESPN Player where the games disappeared after a few months.

Last edited:

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
Absolutely. In fact, I heard they have several seasons worth of archives that you can access freely, unlike ESPN Player where the games disappeared after a few months.

Awesome. The only annoying is that my laptop overheats like crazy and turns itself off when i seem to stream or watch the majority of video online. New Laptop is required it seems.

Atleast no more terrible stream at 4 in the morning. Sleep and hockey, two things that never used to co-exist

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
What kind of picture quality should we expect from GC? Is it good enough to be watched full-screen on a 40" LCD display?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad