NHL News/Notes XVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
LOL. You always makes everything sound so eloquent.

I agree with pretty much everything. I think the name Kraken just fits in our city/area. Its different. Its fun (to me). I love the logo on its own. My visual creativity/imagination is very poor so till I see the logo on the jersey, I won't be able to say if I like it there or not. Fan of the colors as well.
I'm going to see a few Kraken games a season. Every time the Sharks come to town I'll be driving up. Been waiting for either Seattle or Portland to get an NHL team for a long, long time.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I'm going to see a few Kraken games a season. Every time the Sharks come to town I'll be driving up. Been waiting for either Seattle or Portland to get an NHL team for a long, long time.
Dude. Please reach out and let me know. I will try to go too.

I am basically going to try and follow both boards equally once the teams is actually on the ice. Too bad they are in the same division (for me) to be honest.

NWSharkie

Nov 4, 2018
PNW
:laugh:

I also like how a ton of people think this is meant to capitalize on the Clash of the Titans meme and not that Kraken are a real mythological creature from hundreds of years ago.
Yeah, but let's be real here. It's not like the kraken had the same kind of cultural presence as something like werewolves or vampires before the Clash of the Titans/Pirates of the Caribbean movies. The "release the kraken" rallying cry is 100% Liam Neeson-based.

I definitely hear @weastern bias's perspective on it, and the name wasn't my first choice (though all the finalists were kinda disappointing). But F it. Sports are supposed to be fun, right? So what if it's a little silly?

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Yeah, but let's be real here. It's not like the kraken had the same kind of cultural presence as something like werewolves or vampires before the Clash of the Titans/Pirates of the Caribbean movies. The "release the kraken" rallying cry is 100% Liam Neeson-based.

I definitely hear @weastern bias's perspective on it, and the name wasn't my first choice (though all the finalists were kinda disappointing). But F it. Sports are supposed to be fun, right? So what if it's a little silly?

I'm not saying it wasn't a factor, but it also certainly wasn't the primary reason it was chosen like some of the whingiest twitter crowd like to suggest (purely so they can go "this is how far we've fallen, naming a professional sports team after a meme")

It's like, the Sharks benefit from the Jaws iconography they can pull from, but it would be stupid to suggest that Jaws was a primary driving force behind the name just because far more people are likely to have pop culture awareness of sharks through those movies vs awareness of the Red Triangle and the more natural connection to sharks and the bay area. The Kraken example is obviously more pronounced, but never underestimate marketing/branding peoples' ability to believe the most highbrow, deep, and cultured reasons for their brand choices.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I like all of it. I also liked Vegas’ setup when it came. I don’t think I have standards when it comes to this stuff lol

Besides, we all know this stuff evolves and people have things grow on them in this regard.

Reactions: Fistfullofbeer

NWSharkie

Nov 4, 2018
PNW
I'm not saying it wasn't a factor, but it also certainly wasn't the primary reason it was chosen like some of the whingiest twitter crowd like to suggest (purely so they can go "this is how far we've fallen, naming a professional sports team after a meme")

It's like, the Sharks benefit from the Jaws iconography they can pull from, but it would be stupid to suggest that Jaws was a primary driving force behind the name just because far more people are likely to have pop culture awareness of sharks through those movies vs awareness of the Red Triangle and the more natural connection to sharks and the bay area. The Kraken example is obviously more pronounced, but never underestimate marketing/branding peoples' ability to believe the most highbrow, deep, and cultured reasons for their brand choices.
That's fair. For me, Sharks always seemed a little more like a natural fit because a) "Sharks" is a fairly generic sports-team name, and b) growing up in the bay area, I was already aware of things like the Monterey Bay Aquarium and UCSC's marine bio program (I used to surf out at Cowell where they'd be sending boats out to chum for sharks). The Jaws kitsch seemed more or less incidental to that, but it might also just have been because I was a little kid without the context to think critically about it.

The Kraken theme here seems more tenuous to me because of the stated "connections." Yes, the Ballard area of the city was originally a Nordic/Scandinavian enclave, but they've been pushed out by yuppies and condos for 20 years. Not much Nordic heritage anymore aside from one festival a year and pancake breakfasts at the Swedish Cultural Center. (I have simliar complaints about bulldozing the cherry orchards in Sunnyvale and naming the resulting eyesore the Cherry Orchard Apartments.) And we have our own cephalopod myth here with the King Octopus under the Tacoma Narrows Bridge. No need to import an Atlantic story about a totally different animal. That would be like naming a team the Sharks because we had tuna in Monterey Bay. Impressive, yes, but not at all relevant. It just seems like a much bigger reach to me, like they picked the name first and backwards rationalized it.

All that said, if they bring in Bracken "Kraken" Kearns in some capacity, all is forgiven.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017

While I get what your trying to convey I don't think it's the same. People we're acutely aware of how terrifying sharks were prior to any movies made about them. The overwhelming majority of people never even heard the word Kraken prior to The Clash of The Titans. Basically, without the original movie and then the remake covering multiple generations it wouldn't even have made their top 10 for options.

Last edited:

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
Reactions: Sandisfan

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
While I get what your trying to convey I don't think it's the same. People we're acutely aware of how terrifying sharks were prior to any movies made about them. The overwhelming majority of people never even heard the word Kraken prior to The Clash of The Titans. Basically, without the original movie and then the remake covering multiple generations it wouldn't even have made their top 10 for options.

And Pirates of the Caribbean franchise (by Kraken co-owner Jerry B) which reignited interest for later generation.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
VGK President Bubolz in zoom meeting with STH mentioned that NHL camp should start November 17, 2020, with season start December 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad