NHL News/Notes XVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
kraken.png
Thanks.

That is not bad. Different for sure, not many color schemes like that. I am a fan.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
It's funny that it's like 3 shades of blue and red and yet it manages to look very nicely distinct and different. Most teams can't pull off having a ton of shades of the same basic color.

Also is it weird that their stuff is making me sit here and want to design avatars for them? But I have no idea if their fledgling board even has photoshop people on it yet and I worry about stealing their thunder (I've only rarely done work outside my teams in the past. I did some iPod themed Predators avatars like 10-12 years ago.)

And before anyone questions that: no, it wouldn't distract me from doing Sharks ones for 20-21. I actually have a ton of work done on that already and I think/hope you guys will find the concept really fun.

Reactions: Doctor Soraluce

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
I don't think the name ruins the sanctity of the league or anything like that, the on-ice product often does that enough on it's own

I just think it sounds like it should be a name for a minor league baseball team rather than a professional sports franchise

It's like the New Orleans Pelicans, it just sounds dumb

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I don't think the name ruins the sanctity of the league or anything like that, the on-ice product often does that enough on it's own

I just think it sounds like it should be a name for a minor league baseball team rather than a professional sports franchise

It's like the New Orleans Pelicans, it just sounds dumb

I don't understand this reasoning. Why is it dumb? Is it because the Kraken is a mythological figure? I mean that is the only reason why it would not 'fit' into the standard mold of names.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
I don't understand this reasoning. Why is it dumb? Is it because the Kraken is a mythological figure? I mean that is the only reason why it would not 'fit' into the standard mold of names.

I mean it literally sounds dumb to say out loud, it doesn't roll off the tongue

Outside of obviously offensive names that should have been changed long ago I don't think there are any topics for names that are are off limits, but it should at least sound good, it's basically a brand to be put on hats and T-shirts and I don't find the branding appealing

The logo is pretty great though, I like it more and more, and the mock ups of the away jerseys look really nice, I just don't like the name

Reactions: Sandisfan

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I mean it literally sounds dumb to say out loud, it doesn't roll off the tongue

Outside of obviously offensive names that should have been changed long ago I don't think there are any topics for names that are are off limits, but it should at least sound good, it's basically a brand to be put on hats and T-shirts and I don't find the branding appealing

The logo is pretty great though, I like it more and more, and the mock ups of the away jerseys look really nice, I just don't like the name

That is so subjective to me though. Does San Jose Sharks really roll of the tongue much better? I think part of the perception with the name not 'rolling off the tongue' may just be because it is not pluralized. The only other teams in the NHL with similar names are:

Colorado Avalanche
Tampa Bay Lightning
Minnesota Wild

I am guessing you feel the same about them as well? It is definitely uncommon for sports teams in the US to not be pluralized.

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
That is so subjective to me though. Does San Jose Sharks really roll of the tongue much better? I think part of the perception with the name not 'rolling off the tongue' may just be because it is not pluralized. The only other teams in the NHL with similar names are:

Colorado Avalanche
Tampa Bay Lightning
Minnesota Wild

I am guessing you feel the same about them as well? It is definitely uncommon for sports teams in the US to not be pluralized.

Tbf Wild is kind of a dumb name too.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario

Colorado Avalanche
Tampa Bay Lightning
Minnesota Wild

Can you imagine any of those 3 being pluralized? Lol that would be horrible.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Tbf Wild is kind of a dumb name too.
I don't like it 'Wild' either but my point is about rolling off the tongue. If its not pluralized, it does not fit into that 'mold' of names people expect. To me Tampa Bay Lightning does not roll off the tongue either. The only thing left to argue there is that Lightning is real and a common occurrence in that area whereas Kraken is just a mythological creature. To me that is different and just fits in this area.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Can you imagine any of those 3 being pluralized? Lol that would be horrible.

They are plural. It's just that the plural form is identical (like "moose")

The fact that people don't recognize this leads to one of my most hated bits of bad hockey writing: when people refer to those teams with singular verbiage because they think the lack of the "s" means they can't be plural. Eg they'll write:

"The Sharks are on a 3-game road trip" for the obviously pluralized teams

but

"The Avalanche is on a 3-game road trip" for the other ones

Like... It's still plural, dammit. the team is still a collective that conjugates with an "are" form of being. How do you people not know this?

I'll be these are the same people that stick apostrophes onto pluralized words just because there's an 's' at the end. Bunch of f***ing heathens...

Last edited:

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
They are plural. It's just that the plural form is identical (like "moose")

The fact that people don't recognize this leads to one of my most hated bits of bad hockey writing: when people refer to those teams with singular verbiage because they think the lack of the "s" means they can't be plural. Eg they'll write:

"The Sharks are on a 3-game road trip" for the obviously pluralized teams

bu

"The Avalanche is on a 3-game road trip" for the other ones

Like... It's still plural, dammit. the team is still a collective that conjugates with an "are" form of being. How do you people not know this?

I'll be these are the same people that stick apostrophes onto pluralized words just because there's an 's' at the end. Bunch of f***ing heathens...
LOL. Tell us how your really feel Nem

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ

Colorado Avalanche
Tampa Bay Lightning
Minnesota Wild

You're right, it's subjective, and I don't like it

It doesn't have anything to do with the plural not having an 's', I quite like names like Avalanche and Thunder and don't like Pelicans or Golden Knights

It just doesn't strike me as a name that will ever feel classic or like it belongs with the rest of the names in the league, I feel the same about names like the Wild and the Titans

And yes, the San Jose Sharks was always a good name, the alliteration helps and 'Sharks' is just a good name, that's why there are other teams in foreign leagues that share the name, I doubt we'll ever see a team in the Chinese Basketball Association called the 'Kraken'

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
You're right, it's subjective, and I don't like it

It doesn't have anything to do with the plural not having an 's', I quite like names like Avalanche and Thunder and don't like Pelicans or Golden Knights

It just doesn't strike me as a name that will ever feel classic or like it belongs with the rest of the names in the league, I feel the same about names like the Wild and the Titans

And yes, the San Jose Sharks was always a good name, the alliteration helps and 'Sharks' is just a good name, that's why there are other teams in foreign leagues that share the name, I doubt we'll ever see a team in the Chinese Basketball Association called the 'Kraken'
Right. So its basically stick to convention or be frowned upon by the majority. I think that is how the world works anyway but people from time to time do good things when thinking outside of the proverbial box and taking chances.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
Right. So its basically stick to convention or be frowned upon by the majority. I think that is how the world works anyway but people from time to time do good things when thinking outside of the proverbial box and taking chances.

I agree, and I think it's worked in the past adding names like Avalanche, Lightning, and Blue Jackets

Kraken, for whatever reason, doesn't work for me, it sounds like an ECHL name, not an NHL name

It feels a lot closer to Rocky Mountain Xtreme than Colorado Avalanche

It's like if we were the San Jose Blades, it's like a pre-teen's cringy idea of edgy and cool, I don't think it will age well

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Another reason I like the Kraken stuff so far: It seems to severely rustle the jimmies of snobby traditionalist hockey fans in older markets who think that something so out-there and potentially silly is somehow ruining the prestige and image of the NHL.

Their tears sustain me.
The league once had a team called the mighty ducks... Not sure if could get any more silly.

Last edited:

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017

Colorado Avalanche
Tampa Bay Lightning
Minnesota Wild

The one way Seattle kills San Jose is with the "Let's Go Shaa - arks" Chant. 2 syllables in Kraken. They clearly thought this out. :laugh:
Personally I think it's great.Love the tie in with Clash of the titans. Liam Neeson is going to send them onto the ice every night for the next 20 or so years. That's bad ass. Color are interesting. I wish they had more than an "S" on the front but I get that they're using the inspiration of the Mariners in their design.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
:laugh:

I also like how a ton of people think this is meant to capitalize on the Clash of the Titans meme and not that Kraken are a real mythological creature from hundreds of years ago.
I guarantee it's to capitalize on Clash of the titans Kraken and not the Mythological version. I bet you could poll a 1000 people and 80 percent will have heard the phrase "Release the Kraken" and less than 5% would know the movie got the creature from Norse Mythology.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad