NHL Network top 25 Dmen

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
3 of them absolutely belong. And far ahead of morrisey. Years? Hes got 3 seasons under his belt. Youre basically implying hes been better since he stepped on nhl ice.
Morrissey surpassed Trouba by the end of his rookie season IMO but definitely the last two years. He's better defensively (better gap, better positioning, better stick) and moves the puck much more effectively under pressure. Trouba is more physical, has a better shot and takes more risks offensively. Trouba had better offensive numbers last year due to getting PP time (where he did nothing but pass the puck to Wheeler) but I think Morrissey has a lot of offensive potential. I wouldn't be surprised if Morrissey breaks out offensively (on paper) just like Trouba did this past year with a bit of PP time.

Not that they were the new Suter-Weber, but there's a good comparison there for Morrissey-Trouba in the sense that Suter is (and was) the better defender overall but Weber got more press because he hits more and has a better shot. The press likes big hits and goals. Defensemen who play an efficient intelligent shutdown game don't get much hype.

Reactions: Psych0dad and hn777

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
LOL @ Klingberg, Letang, Krug and Barrie on that list

Also Morrissey has been better than Trouba for years now.

Lol at Letang on the top 25 defenseman list?

Statistically Letang has been a top five defenseman for years outside of the 17-18 season when he was recovering from a neck injury that literally would have ended his career ten years ago.

Dude just finish 6th in Norris votes?

Funny how people have no problem saying Josi is top ten and Letang isn’t top 25 lol

Reactions: MartinS82

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Lol at Letang on the top 25 defenseman list?

Statistically Letang has been a top five defenseman for years outside of the 17-18 season when he was recovering from a neck injury that literally would have ended his career ten years ago.

Dude just finish 6th in Norris votes?

Funny how people have no problem saying Josi is top ten and Letang isn’t top 25 lol

Letang is a phenomenal dman who, at his best, is (starting to be was though), top 3 in dman in the league. Phenomenal puck mover who is fantastic in his own zone. If he were more consistent he would challenge for the norris every year.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Letang is a phenomenal dman who, at his best, is (starting to be was though), top 3 in dman in the league. Phenomenal puck mover who is fantastic in his own zone. If he were more consistent he would challenge for the norris every year.

He should have finished 2nd this year (Gio was untouchable) but obviously injuries. It’s funny when people talk shit on Letang considering 2013,2016,and 2019 he easily had arguments for being top 3 as you pointed out.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
What Heiskanen is then if not NHL dman ?
I didn't know Heiskanen should be North American to get this-kind attention :D:D:D:D

If Heiskanen was Canadian or American he would be next of the god.

But because he's a Finn then he has to be overhyped potential bust like Laine, and Puljujärvi are

Edit
Read sarcasm

No, he wouldn't.

Jugitsu

Dec 24, 2016
Finland
Maybe I'm not watching these guys that closely, but Subban, Werenski and even Trouba on this list before OEL, McDonagh, Spurgeon and a homer vote Dumba, who I think has a strong case too? I'd not include Heiskanen and Dahlin on this list just yet. They are fringe - ie very close and might even secure their spots before we hit half way mark of the next season.

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
EBOBdvzWkAASAFa

No Weber?!?!

No Ekholm is an even bigger mistake.

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
That "kudos" was given in the form of awards for Trotz and Lehner, and praise for their excellent all around team defense. Like you're welcome to make a case and submit a list featuring an Islander defender or talk about how the Islander d-men are underrated in general, but the latter is a different discussion.

Top 25 is a pretty exclusive group, as demonstrated by some of the wild omissions in Weber and Lindholm, I don't really think you have a case, nor do you seem particularly interested in making one, and if you do choose to include an Islanders rep I imagine we're talking about someone around the 25 spot, in which case it's hardly an omission worthy of a snarky reply.

Relax, it was just an observation.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
I think that Morrissey is better than Byfuglien or Trouba. He isn’t as flashy as those two, but he’s a better D-man.
Morrissey's been better for a while. Everyone who follows Jets knows this.

Richard

Feb 8, 2012
He should have finished 2nd this year (Gio was untouchable) but obviously injuries. It’s funny when people talk **** on Letang considering 2013,2016,and 2019 he easily had arguments for being top 3 as you pointed out.
Letang was responsible for the last four Penguin overtime losses with irresponsible pinches. I hope GM's around the league share your opinion because I like my Defensemen to actually understand how to play defense.

Hopefully the pens move him for a couple guys less "flashy" but more "heady."

The Tourist

Jul 11, 2008
No, he wouldn't.

Very few players on that list could carry Roman Polak around all season to the point he didn't look completely lost playing top 4 minutes. Polak went from a guy almost out of the league to a guy having his career saved by a 19 yr old superstar rookie. Miro will be a top 5 dman sooner than later.

And yes if he was Canadian the media would be blowing their load at the thought of his talent.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Letang was responsible for the last four Penguin overtime losses with irresponsible pinches. I hope GM's around the league share your opinion because I like my Defensemen to actually understand how to play defense.

Hopefully the pens move him for a couple guys less "flashy" but more "heady."

Letang is a 2 way Dman, he plays the top pk and shutdown unit. He's not "flashy either", he's a pmd offensively, he doesn't jump into plays like Burns or Werenski. A couple bad pinches doesn't change that. Also blaming him for the Kuznetsov overtime goal is a bad take, considering there was a big thread solely to bash Crosby for it.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
I’ll give Trouba the benefit of the doubt “as of right now” since he carried a heavy load while Morrissey and Buff missed significant time recently. But with Trouba gone now, I think Morrissey is going to really open some eyes since we won’t have that shut down pair going forward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad