NHL Network top 25 Dmen

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
Kudos to the Islanders who were the best defensive team in the NHL last season but don’t have anyone in the top 25 on defense.

That "kudos" was given in the form of awards for Trotz and Lehner, and praise for their excellent all around team defense. Like you're welcome to make a case and submit a list featuring an Islander defender or talk about how the Islander d-men are underrated in general, but the latter is a different discussion.

Top 25 is a pretty exclusive group, as demonstrated by some of the wild omissions in Weber and Lindholm, I don't really think you have a case, nor do you seem particularly interested in making one, and if you do choose to include an Islanders rep I imagine we're talking about someone around the 25 spot, in which case it's hardly an omission worthy of a snarky reply.

Last edited:
Reactions: kundahlini

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Barrie and Krug are laughable over Weber, oel, lindholm and McDonough

Agree on this. Those are the biggest omissions - especially Weber and OEL.

Overall list is solid though. And none of the names listed seem out of place - even Barrie and Krug, if i don't have them top 25, they probably come right after.

Reactions: Treebeard

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Well no, if anything the opposite is true and he'll become extremely overrated soon enough.

Barrie was in their top 25 last season and I didn't see any responses on twitter or instagram. Not sure how much has changed in a year...

I will admit, Barrie is probably the least deserving on the list. He's 24-30 territory.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Barrie was in their top 25 last season and I didn't see any responses on twitter or instagram. Not sure how much has changed in a year...
Folks are actually paying attention now. There's a lot of "enh, I've heard that name before, I guess it's okay" that comes up with these things. Folks on some other teams might get overlooked - but never someone on the Leafs. Couple that with both pro- and anti-Leafs irrationality and you get a slight adjustment plus lots of vitriol.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
These are NHL defensemen. Not just Finnish defensemen.

What Heiskanen is then if not NHL dman ?
I didn't know Heiskanen should be North American to get this-kind attention :D:D:D:D

If Heiskanen was Canadian or American he would be next of the god.
But because he's a Finn then he has to be overhyped potential bust like Laine, and Puljujärvi are

Edit
Read sarcasm

Last edited:

Esq

in terrorem
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2009
Village in the City
And why Heiskanen not belong to this list ?
Could I have valid and credible arguments for this stupid claim

Because it not uncommon for defensemen to regress (sometimes significantly) after their first full season. (See, e.g., Zach Bogosian, Tyler Myers, Rasmus Ristolanien) Even Klingberg took a step back after his first full campaign.

To say that Heiskanen is better at this point than McDonaugh or Weber, for example, is just wrong.

Reactions: Stewie Griffin

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Folks are actually paying attention now. There's a lot of "enh, I've heard that name before, I guess it's okay" that comes up with these things. Folks on some other teams might get overlooked - but never someone on the Leafs. Couple that with both pro- and anti-Leafs irrationality and you get a slight adjustment plus lots of vitriol.

Well said. Hard to not put the 7th highest point getter in a top 25 list. I do wonder if he will produce as much with Toronto away from that ridiculous Mack line.

Hoping to see Dobson on these lists in 3-4 years.

CiCi

Aug 14, 2019
USA/MD
Being a Washington Capitals fan John Carlson has to be in the running. I also think Seth Jones and Zach Werenski are to D-Men as well.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Because it not uncommon for defensemen to regress (sometimes significantly) after their first full season. (See, e.g., Zach Bogosian, Tyler Myers, Rasmus Ristolanien) Even Klingberg took a step back after his first full campaign.

To say that Heiskanen is better at this point than McDonaugh or Weber, for example, is just wrong.

If that's the case then it's better next NHL lockout will be so long it won't never end.
And Heiskanen has to come back to SM liiga and play his rest career in HIFK.
At least HIFK fans appreciate and respect Heiskanen as a player more than so called NHL fans like you.

Edit
This constant understatement of the Finnish NHL players like Heiskanen
and draft prospects like Anton Lundell is starting to piss me.

Last edited:

Necrobutcher

Sep 20, 2018
Tampere, Finland
If that's the case then it's better next NHL lockout will so long it won't never end.
And Heiskanen has to come back to SM liiga and play his rest career in HIFK.
At least HIFK fans appreciate and respect Heiskanen as a player more than so called NHL fans like you.
You obviously are a fan of Heiskanen and he's a special player for you because he's from your hometown team. I can relate cause i have the same relationship with the players who are from my hometown finnish team. But you should try to put that aside and still view the player as neutrally as you can. Saying Heiskanen isn't top 25 yet isn't an outrageous statement by any means even if you disagree. No need to get upset.

Reactions: Eichel9 and Viqsi

lowol

Nov 27, 2006
Seems like no one can really agree on who's been left out and who should be thrown away from the list. Pretty good job from the NHL Network. Think I'd have Spurgeon instead of Krug, OEL instead of Byfuglien but those are close calls.

Fables

Apr 27, 2015
That's actually pretty good list considering this is right now list... and not about past achievements.
Everyone always has a couple of changes they would like to make to these kind of rankings e but generally this list is good work.

If I would have the chance I would probably consider taking out two of these players:
Trouba, Krug & Barrie and put in Josh Morrisey and Jared Spurgeon instead... but that's more of nitpicking than genuine complaint.

And since this is really right now list I honestly believe that the young kids in this list (Heiskanen, Dahlin, Chabot) will prove next season that their place in this list was justified.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
how is Spurgeon not in there? For instance Trouba is better at him at being tall but that's it.

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
LOL @ Klingberg, Letang, Krug and Barrie on that list

Also Morrissey has been better than Trouba for years now.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
LOL @ Klingberg, Letang, Krug and Barrie on that list

Also Morrissey has been better than Trouba for years now.
3 of them absolutely belong. And far ahead of morrisey. Years? Hes got 3 seasons under his belt. Youre basically implying hes been better since he stepped on nhl ice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad