NHL Network top 25 Dmen

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
I think a fair amount of us on this board have known that the media has clear lack of understanding of what constitutes a good defenseman. These lists always show that.

Walter Tkasobchuk

May 27, 2019
Very few players on that list could carry Roman Polak around all season to the point he didn't look completely lost playing top 4 minutes. Polak went from a guy almost out of the league to a guy having his career saved by a 19 yr old superstar rookie. Miro will be a top 5 dman sooner than later.

And yes if he was Canadian the media would be blowing their load at the thought of his talent.
Agreed. To the non believers out there, just watch the kid play. As a Blues fan, I went into our series thinking he was a phenomenal talent that will develop into a really good/maybe great player. After that series, I came out about as impressed with a 19 year old’s hockey IQ as can be. I was wrong, the kid is already elite. Just watch him play y’all... forreal

Reactions: Fables

DarkHorse2

Feb 27, 2002
Heiskanen but not Pulock is ridiculous.
upload_2019-8-19_8-14-41.png

upload_2019-8-19_8-15-4.png

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Taking nothing away from Chabot, but top 25 already?
Easily just watch him. He had 55 points in 70 games and was only minus 12 where he took the hardest matchups plays 24 + night playing with Demello when the team had a minus 60 goal differential.

ThePens2500

Aug 1, 2019
Here is my current top-25 d-men list with some honourable mentions:

25. Shea Weber (MTL) 2018-19: 58GP 14G 19A 33PTS +15
2 years ago, putting Weber at 25 would be a disaster in the making but with his last 2 seasons, he has missed over 80 games due to injuries. A full season of healthy Weber would definitely push him to rank 10-15. Weber is still a very good dmen and rarely do you see him make mistakes. Also has a killer slapshot.

24. Rasmus Dahlin (BUF) 2018-19: 82GP 9G 35A 44PTS -13
There isn't much to say about Dahlin that isn't already known. Stud dman with a 44pts season @ 18 years old. This is a franchise d-man in the making. Only reason he is at 24 is because of his one season of NHL experience. I have no doubts that he breaks top-five in 1-3 seasons. Has amazing vision, can move the puck very well and a smart overall d-man. Buffalo is very very lucky to have this guy in their system.

23. Ryan McDonagh (TB): 2018-19: 82GP 9G 37A 46PTS +38
There is no surpise that Ryan Mcdonagh has never finished a season with a negative +/-. He is everything you want from a d-man. Solid defensively, can chip in offensively and block a bunch of shots. I find him underrated in Tampa as he isn't in the spotlight like Hedman but nonetheless, he is someone every team would love to have and it is unreal that Tampa has him with their already great d-core.

22. Joshua Morrissey (WPG): 2018-19: 59GP 6G 25A 31PTS +9
You may be wondering why I have Morrissey this high but for 2 years, Morrissey has been outplaying his former teammate Trouba and doesn't get the recognition he deserves. With Big Buff aging and Trouba in New York, Morrissey will step up next year and I predict a 50pts season with 25+ min per night from the Alberta native. We already saw glimpses of what he will become last year.

21. Charlie McAvoy (BOS): 2018-19: 54GP 7G 21A 28PTS +14
54.1CF%, 55.7% Fenwick is what McAvoy averaged in his campaign last season. He has top-pairing dman written all over him. I think he deserves this spot because he's not an extremely flashy guy but he's one who can get the job done night after night. Surely, Boston is doing everything they can to extend him long-term.

20. Dustin Byfuglien (WPG): 2018-19: 42GP 4G 27A 31PTS +4
A beast of a player who can do it all. PP quarterback, huge hit machine, I bet many players hate playing against this guy because he's both skilled and big (6'5, 260 pounds big). It's a shame he's aging but his regression hasn't been all that bad. It's more injuries that might cause havoc on the back-end of his career.

19. Oliver Ekman-Larsson (ARZ): 2018-19: 81GP 14G 30A 44PTS -16
Let's get one thing straight. OEL has played on a relatively bad team for the most part of his career. This is the one year I'm excited to see what he can do with Arizona adding Phil Kessel to the PP. OEL is almost a sureshot 40pts d-man who isn't really the best at actually defending but tbh, the guy was 3 pts shy from being the leading scorer of his team. He will round out as his team gets better but he has consistently put up 40+ pts, 25-min a night while staying relatively uninjured the last 5 years.

18. Duncan Keith (CHI): 2018-19: 82GP 6G 34A 40PTS +13
Unlike Seabrook, regression hasn't really hit Keith that hard. He's still a servicable d-men on a team that is looking to re-ignite the spark that won them multiple cups. At 36 years old, it still looks feasible for Keith to provide solid defending and some great even-strength offensively contributions. 30/40 of his points last year came at even-strength.

17. Matt Dumba (MIN): 2018-19: 32GP 12G 10A 22PTS -5
Matt Dumba is probably the best contract Minnesota has ever signed. Before injury last season, it looked liked Dumba was going to shatter his 50pts career-high. His offensive game was rounding out and he was reasonably solid on a fringe Minnesota Wild team.
It sucks that the Wild have no clear direction because Dumba is a guy they can build the team around and at only 25, he has made remarkable strides in his career.

16. P.K. Subban (NJ): 2018-19: 63GP 9G 22A 31PTS +5
Subban is a guy who gets trashed a lot. Yes, he had a down year. But he is now on a NJ team where he can quarterback a powerplay and be the top guy. This is where he thrives. I predict he returns to 50+ point form together with solid defensive play.

15. Torey Krug (BOS): 2018-19: 64GP 6G 47A 53PTS -2
Imo, Krug is a really underrated guy because he does exactly what he's being put out there to do yet many don't consider him a top 25 d-man. Most of his starts are in the offensive zone but yet that is where he thrives. Last season he was near point per game. I'd even say he hits 65+pts next season barring the same results. Krug is currently entering his prime and he reminds me of a slightly tuned down version of Kris Letang. I know he isn't exactly the best defensively but he knows his role and does it well.

14. John Klingberg (DAL): 2018-19: 64GP 10G 35A 45PTS +6
Klingberg is a guy who can hover around the 60-70pts mark for the next 5+ years. Currently entering his prime, Klingberg gets to play on a team that just added Joe Pavelski. Again, like Krug, he isn't the best defensively but having a guy who can drive play to Seguin, Benn, Radulov, Pavelski is absolutely needed and he thrives at doing this.

13. Colton Parayko (STL): 2018-19: 80GP 10G 18A 28PTS +20
You can tell I'm very high on Parayko from the ranking. This guy played a huge role in the recent Stanley Cup win logging 25+ min agains tough opponents night after night. He is an absolube beast at 6'6 and honestly I think he hasn't even hit his full ceiling. He can do anything no matter where he's put. Parayko is a stud and honestly deserves this spot.

12. Jaccob Slavin (CAR): 2018-19: 82GP 8G 23A 31PTS +0
Slavin is a guy literally every cup contender salivates over. Strictly at defending, he is one of the best. He barely gives away the puck and is a guy you can heavily rely on when you need to protect a lead. Also an ironman with no missed games in his last 3 years.
At only 24, it's crazy how he could get even better.

11. Kris Letang (PIT): 2018-19: 65GP 16G 40A 56PTS +13
A few years ago, Letang would hands down be top 10. Offensively, he's barely regressing but he's having a hard time staying healthy and imo has began getting sloppier at defending. Don't get me wrong, he's still a great defender who has tons of offensive flare but sometimes the holes in his game show and he give away the puck in a very frustrating manner. I think being paired with Dumoulin helped fix a lot of his defensive issues but it's only a matter of time before the normal regression begins. The health concerns are no fault of his own and he has fought so much to get back to playing hockey. As a Pens fan, Letang will always hold a special place in my heart and I think barring injury, he still puts up solid numbers next year. (tad bit of bias lol)

10. Seth Jones (CBJ): 2018-19: 75GP 9G 37A 46PTS +1
Let me just say I love Seth Jones and he is the perfect player I'd open the top 10 with. He often plays against top-lines and has so much potential. We saw him pummel through Tampa Bay in the playoffs. By his standards, he had a decent year but 2017-18 we saw exactly what Seth Jones can do. Over 250sog, 16 goals. Unreal from a dman for his age. Columbus is going through a retool but I expect his game to remain unchanged as he remains a solid top pairing defender.

9. Drew Doughty (LA): 2018-19: 82GP 8G 37A 45PTS -34
The only reason Doughty fell this far on the list is because he and the Kings were abysmal last season. -34 and Drew Doughty is unheard of but it happened last year as the Kings got pummeled at every opportunity with their aging roster. Nonetheless, Doughty is still a former Norris winner who can read and play the game extremely well. He signed a huge extension but if LA can regain their competitive edge, there is no doubt that Doughty returns to being a force to be reckoned with.

8. Morgan Rielly (TOR): 2018-19: 82GP 20G 52A 72PTS +24
Coming off a career year, Morgan Rielly looks destined to help turn the Leafs into a dynasty. 20 goals, 72 points. Granted, he has Matthews and Tavares but let's give credit where it is due. Rielly stepped up, in a big way. He is the saving grace of Toronto's d-unit.

7. Mark Giordano (CGY): 2018-19: 82GP 17G 57A 74PTS +39
I haven't seen many d-men have career years at age 35. A 74 PTS CAREER YEAR to be exact. Mark Giordano is a beast. A great lead by example kind of guy who came back strong last season. Hopefully he can lead the Flames to a Stanley Cup because he absolutely deserves one.

6. John Carlson (WSH): 2018-19: 80GP 13G 57A 70PTS +21
John Carlson is straight up utilizing his prime as best as possible. 138 pts in the last 2 seasons and a Stanley Cup ring. Carlson is a PP tank who can move the puck extremely well. Not too shabby defensively either.

5. Alex Pietrangelo (STL): 2018-19: 71GP 13G 28A 41PTS +2
It's an understatement to say that Pietrangelo was good in the playoffs. What a comeback from a slow start to the 2018-19 season.

4. Roman Josi (NSH): 2018-19: 15G 41A 56PTS +9
Tough competition. 25+ min a night. 15 goals. What is there not to like about Roman Josi?

3. Erik Karlsson (SJ): 2018-19: 53GP 3G 42A 45PTS +6
Injuries try to stop players but not Erik Karlsson. After an almost ppg playoff run and almost 60% Corsi rating in the regular season, Karlsson is destined for a great season next year.

2. Victor Hedman (TB): 2018-19: 70GP 12G 42A 54PTS +24
Victor Hedman is the all-round dman teams love to have. Tampa is blessed to have him and McD on the same roster. Hedman can quarterback a PP, break up plays and generate offence for his stacked roster. Barring Karlsson's injury, it is tough to say who gets #2 between Hedman and Karlsson.

1. Brent Burns (SJ): 2018-19: 82GP 16G 67A 83PTS +13
In terms of what d men bring to the table, Burns trumps them all.
Resiliance? -> 5 straight seasons uninjured
Offensive ability? -> 1305sog (326 avg) in the last 4 years, on top of 301 points.
Burns is extremely gifted. In terms of what he brings, it can't be matched by a lot of players on this list.
San Jose has him and Karlsson for the next 5+ years....

Honourable Mentions:
Thomas Chabot, Ryan Suter, Hampus Lindholm,
Miro Heiskanen, Keith Yandle, Jared Spurgeon

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
Good list. Very hard thing to judge with tons of opinions. You could ask 10 NHL scouts to do the list and it would look drastically different.

Things that jump out. McDonaugh too low,

Letang too high

Reactions: vic997

ThePens2500

Aug 1, 2019
You forgot the option for ranking someone way too low. For example, as a Jackets fan, I would be obliged to pick "too low" and fill in the blanks with Werenski and Jones. :nod:

I tried to be as unbiased as possible lol.
Only one was Letang (I'm a Pens fan) but I was reasonable and dropped him 6 spots (sheds tear)

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
I think a couple of the guys in the 20-25 range could be switched for some of the HM but it's a good list. As a sharks fan I love seeing Burns on top but I suspect a lot of people will want that switched with Hedman.

ThePens2500

Aug 1, 2019
Good list. Very hard thing to judge with tons of opinions. You could ask 10 NHL scouts to do the list and it would look drastically different.

Things that jump out. McDonaugh too low,

Letang too high

Honestly looking at it. I'd say you're right.
McDonaugh is such a good defender.
I did put a bit of bias in Letang tbh

ThePens2500

Aug 1, 2019
I think a couple of the guys in the 20-25 range could be switched for some of the HM but it's a good list. As a sharks fan I love seeing Burns on top but I suspect a lot of people will want that switched with Hedman.

I thought of that but I can't name one d man that brings as much offensive ability as Burns. The guy is a tank.
Also he's almost never injured which plays a huge role in why he's #1

Also side note: Had Karlsson not been injured and health wasn't a concern. I would probably move Karlsson to #2. He is extremely dominant with the puck at times, it's great to watch

Reactions: Stewie Griffin

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
Surprised no one wants McAvoy off this list considering the amount of people trying to say he wasn't even a top pairing defenseman not even a month ago when someone started a Marner for McAvoy trade proposal.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
You may be wondering why I have Morrissey this high
but for 2 years, Morrissey has been outplaying his former teammate Trouba and doesn't get the recognition he deserves. With Big Buff aging and Trouba in New York, Morrissey will step up next year and I predict a 50pts season with 25+ min per night from the Alberta native. We already saw glimpses of what he will become last year.

Actually, I wonder why you have him this low. However, it's good that you included him anyways, as he is still pretty underrated league-wide. For me, he is Winnipeg's best defenseman. He's better than Byfuglien because of consistency. Buff is a Norris candidate when he's at the top of his game. The problem is, you never really know when that is going to happen. Meanwhile, Morrissey is always the mature, talented, steady force on the blueline, and with Trouba gone, you're going to see his offensive number blossom as well.

I liken Morrissey to a Serge Savard type of player.

TheGoldenGod

5 Star Man
Nov 8, 2017

2 years ago, putting Weber at 25 would be a disaster in the making but with his last 2 seasons, he has missed over 80 games due to injuries. A full season of healthy Weber would definitely push him to rank 10-15. Weber is still a very good dmen and rarely do you see him make mistakes. Also has a killer slapshot.

There isn't much to say about Dahlin that isn't already known. Stud dman with a 44pts season @ 18 years old. This is a franchise d-man in the making. Only reason he is at 24 is because of his one season of NHL experience. I have no doubts that he breaks top-five in 1-3 seasons. Has amazing vision, can move the puck very well and a smart overall d-man. Buffalo is very very lucky to have this guy in their system.

There is no surpise that Ryan Mcdonagh has never finished a season with a negative +/-. He is everything you want from a d-man. Solid defensively, can chip in offensively and block a bunch of shots. I find him underrated in Tampa as he isn't in the spotlight like Hedman but nonetheless, he is someone every team would love to have and it is unreal that Tampa has him with their already great d-core.

You may be wondering why I have Morrissey this high but for 2 years, Morrissey has been outplaying his former teammate Trouba and doesn't get the recognition he deserves. With Big Buff aging and Trouba in New York, Morrissey will step up next year and I predict a 50pts season with 25+ min per night from the Alberta native. We already saw glimpses of what he will become last year.

54.1CF%, 55.7% Fenwick is what McAvoy averaged in his campaign last season. He has top-pairing dman written all over him. I think he deserves this spot because he's not an extremely flashy guy but he's one who can get the job done night after night. Surely, Boston is doing everything they can to extend him long-term.

A beast of a player who can do it all. PP quarterback, huge hit machine, I bet many players hate playing against this guy because he's both skilled and big (6'5, 260 pounds big). It's a shame he's aging but his regression hasn't been all that bad. It's more injuries that might cause havoc on the back-end of his career.

Let's get one thing straight. OEL has played on a relatively bad team for the most part of his career. This is the one year I'm excited to see what he can do with Arizona adding Phil Kessel to the PP. OEL is almost a sureshot 40pts d-man who isn't really the best at actually defending but tbh, the guy was 3 pts shy from being the leading scorer of his team. He will round out as his team gets better but he has consistently put up 40+ pts, 25-min a night while staying relatively uninjured the last 5 years.

Unlike Seabrook, regression hasn't really hit Keith that hard. He's still a servicable d-men on a team that is looking to re-ignite the spark that won them multiple cups. At 36 years old, it still looks feasible for Keith to provide solid defending and some great even-strength offensively contributions. 30/40 of his points last year came at even-strength.

Matt Dumba is probably the best contract Minnesota has ever signed. Before injury last season, it looked liked Dumba was going to shatter his 50pts career-high. His offensive game was rounding out and he was reasonably solid on a fringe Minnesota Wild team.
It sucks that the Wild have no clear direction because Dumba is a guy they can build the team around and at only 25, he has made remarkable strides in his career.

Subban is a guy who gets trashed a lot. Yes, he had a down year. But he is now on a NJ team where he can quarterback a powerplay and be the top guy. This is where he thrives. I predict he returns to 50+ point form together with solid defensive play.

Imo, Krug is a really underrated guy because he does exactly what he's being put out there to do yet many don't consider him a top 25 d-man. Most of his starts are in the offensive zone but yet that is where he thrives. Last season he was near point per game. I'd even say he hits 65+pts next season barring the same results. Krug is currently entering his prime and he reminds me of a slightly tuned down version of Kris Letang. I know he isn't exactly the best defensively but he knows his role and does it well.

Klingberg is a guy who can hover around the 60-70pts mark for the next 5+ years. Currently entering his prime, Klingberg gets to play on a team that just added Joe Pavelski. Again, like Krug, he isn't the best defensively but having a guy who can drive play to Seguin, Benn, Radulov, Pavelski is absolutely needed and he thrives at doing this.

You can tell I'm very high on Parayko from the ranking. This guy played a huge role in the recent Stanley Cup win logging 25+ min agains tough opponents night after night. He is an absolube beast at 6'6 and honestly I think he hasn't even hit his full ceiling. He can do anything no matter where he's put. Parayko is a stud and honestly deserves this spot.

Slavin is a guy literally every cup contender salivates over. Strictly at defending, he is one of the best. He barely gives away the puck and is a guy you can heavily rely on when you need to protect a lead. Also an ironman with no missed games in his last 3 years.

A few years ago, Letang would hands down be top 10. Offensively, he's barely regressing but he's having a hard time staying healthy and imo has began getting sloppier at defending. Don't get me wrong, he's still a great defender who has tons of offensive flare but sometimes the holes in his game show and he give away the puck in a very frustrating manner. I think being paired with Dumoulin helped fix a lot of his defensive issues but it's only a matter of time before the normal regression begins. The health concerns are no fault of his own and he has fought so much to get back to playing hockey. As a Pens fan, Letang will always hold a special place in my heart and I think barring injury, he still puts up solid numbers next year. (tad bit of bias lol)

Let me just say I love Seth Jones and he is the perfect player I'd open the top 10 with. He often plays against top-lines and has so much potential. We saw him pummel through Tampa Bay in the playoffs. By his standards, he had a decent year but 2017-18 we saw exactly what Seth Jones can do. Over 250sog, 16 goals. Unreal from a dman for his age. Columbus is going through a retool but I expect his game to remain unchanged as he remains a solid top pairing defender.

The only reason Doughty fell this far on the list is because he and the Kings were abysmal last season. -34 and Drew Doughty is unheard of but it happened last year as the Kings got pummeled at every opportunity with their aging roster. Nonetheless, Doughty is still a former Norris winner who can read and play the game extremely well. He signed a huge extension but if LA can regain their competitive edge, there is no doubt that Doughty returns to being a force to be reckoned with.

Coming off a career year, Morgan Rielly looks destined to help turn the Leafs into a dynasty. 20 goals, 72 points. Granted, he has Matthews and Tavares but let's give credit where it is due. Rielly stepped up, in a big way. He is the saving grace of Toronto's d-unit.

I haven't seen many d-men have career years at age 35. A 74 PTS CAREER YEAR to be exact. Mark Giordano is a beast. A great lead by example kind of guy who came back strong last season. Hopefully he can lead the Flames to a Stanley Cup because he absolutely deserves one.

John Carlson is straight up utilizing his prime as best as possible. 138 pts in the last 2 seasons and a Stanley Cup ring. Carlson is a PP tank who can move the puck extremely well. Not too shabby defensively either.

It's an understatement to say that Pietrangelo was good in the playoffs. What a comeback from a slow start to the 2018-19 season.

Tough competition. 25+ min a night. 15 goals. What is there not to like about Roman Josi?

Injuries try to stop players but not Erik Karlsson. After an almost ppg playoff run and almost 60% Corsi rating in the regular season, Karlsson is destined for a great season next year.

Victor Hedman is the all-round dman teams love to have. Tampa is blessed to have him and McD on the same roster. Hedman can quarterback a PP, break up plays and generate offence for his stacked roster. Barring Karlsson's injury, it is tough to say who gets #2 between Hedman and Karlsson.

Offensive ability? -> 1305sog (326 avg) in the last 4 years, on top of 301 points.
Burns is extremely gifted. In terms of what he brings, it can't be matched by a lot of players on this list.

Honourable Mentions:

Kind of sucks that this got merged. Good effort bro.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013

Honourable Mentions:

Good list IMO, and I like how you added justifications to each pick
My biggest question would be Burns at #1, but he's definitely up there

Reactions: Iceman and vic997

Zrhutch

Mar 26, 2013
Texas
You replace Polak with a replacement level defender and Heiskanen probably gets 2nd place in the Calder vote. He belongs.

volcom92886

Feb 23, 2009
So Cal
How does the team with the #1 and #4 dmen and another quality dman in Vlasic have the 11th worst defense in the game last season? Doug Wilson must have gotten a 2nd job at the NHL network after signing that ridiculous Karlsson contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad