NHL Network top 25 Dmen

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
These are NHL defensemen. Not just Finnish defensemen.

I get the first year in NHL part, but Heiskanen averaged over 23 minutes a game on the second best defensive team last year that was without Klingberg for awhile

Offensively Heiskanen needs to get better (even though he was pretty good), but defensively he was a rock and I'd trust him over some of the guys on that list already at defending

Avs44

May 16, 2011
barrie and kerfoot really improved this summer

Barrie 100% belongs on this list. Since 13/14 he’s 9th amongst all D in points; 8th in even strength points; and since 14/15, of the 83 players to put on an Avs jersey in that timeframe, he played both the most even strength minutes and most even strength minutes/game of anyone on the Avs. He’s been very underrated in Colorado by the NHL as a whole. He’s a damn good player.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
1st thought: people are going to really dislike seeing Krug there. Hot take: possibly one of the most underrated players in the NHL.

2nd thought: Yandle.

Problem is that an increasing number of fans value players almost exclusively on points and zone entries. The concept of an elite shutdown defenseman means little to many -- regardless of what the playoffs show.
People also assume any defenseman who scores points can't play defense, and vice versa.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
EBOBdvzWkAASAFa

No Weber?!?!
Two Jets defensemen from last year make the list (Byfuglien and Trouba), yet Josh Morrissey was better than both of them. Morrissey should be there ahead of Trouba.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
Reactions: emptyNedder

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Taking nothing away from Chabot, but top 25 already?

Yes.

Tyson Barrie and Torey Krug are not top 25 defensemen in my opinion.

Wrong. I would probably have Morrissey over either of them, but I don't think it would be them I bump.

Alexa, where is Ryan McDonagh?

Rightfully not on this list.

Heiskanen had a nice rookie year, but he absolutely does not belong here.

Disagree.

I think that Morrissey is better than Byfuglien or Trouba. He isn’t as flashy as those two, but he’s a better D-man.

Agreed, and I didn't think it was really a question.

Kudos to the Islanders who were the best defensive team in the NHL last season but don’t have anyone in the top 25 on defense.

I don't mind it. I can't make the argument for any of our guys over the ones on this list. Doesn't mean we don't have a very good team still.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
Disagree.

Krug and Barrie are not all situational defensemen. In my opinion the best defensemen in the game need to have the ability to impact every area and zone on the ice. Krug and Barrie are phenomenal offensive talents that need to be situationally isolated in order to be truly effective, if these guys are top 25, then so is a guy like Keith Yandle. You then also look at what a player like Erik Gustaffson can do with similar deployment to these two - and no one think's he a top 25 defensemen. I have both Barrie and Krug in the 30-45 range so I don't have a huge issue with it overall.

I would have guys like Ekholm, McDonagh, Morrissey, OEL, Spurgeon, Lindholm, Lindell, Weber (healthy), etc.. in over both of these guys.

And while I don't think Heiskanen and Dahlin are necessarily top 25 after last year, I do believe they will be this upcoming season so I have no issues with them being included.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Krug and Barrie are not all situational defensemen. In my opinion the best defensemen in the game need to have the ability to impact every area and zone on the ice. Krug and Barrie are phenomenal offensive talents that need to be situationally isolated in order to be truly effective, if these guys are top 25, then so is a guy like Keith Yandle. You then also look at what a player like Erik Gustaffson can do with similar deployment to these two - and no one think's he a top 25 defensemen. I have both Barrie and Krug in the 30-45 range so I don't have a huge issue with it overall.

I would have guys like Ekholm, McDonagh, Morrissey, OEL, Spurgeon, Lindholm, Lindell, Weber (healthy), etc.. in over both of these guys.

And while I don't think Heiskanen and Dahlin are necessarily top 25 after last year, I do believe they will be this upcoming season so I have no issues with them being included.

I don't agree with you, but I respect that opinion.

My take would be that how they impact the game overall, and I take a Krug or a Barrie over a Lindell/Spurgeon/McDonagh (?)/Ekholm. Krug has 53 points (in just over 60 games...) and Barrie has two 55+ point seasons back to back. Barrie might struggle a bit more on Toronto but I'd still take them top 25.

I can see good arguments for OEL/Morrissey and Lindholm, though. They would all be in the top 30 if we expanded the list.

Human

cynic
Jan 22, 2011
Bandwagon
Is that Pietrangelo as the best, or just a list?

Now that I look more I'm really hoping it's just a list.

To be fair, Weber hasn't played a lot recently, so that might skew the results. Couple that with the NHL network not being the smartest anyways.
obviously they are listed in alphabetical order, by their first names...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad