News Article: NHL must step in to stop shady Senators owner Eugene Melnyk

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Escrow is a mechanism to ensure HRR is split 50/50. In order for us to not drive up escrow, we would need to generate more than double the HRR compared to our player salaries. I'm not sure how us tanking our revenues is going to accomplish that as more and more of the little revenue we get is actually coming from revenue sharing, which isn't HRR generated by us.

On the flip side, the leafs are quite possibly driving down escrow, because they probably bring in more than double their expected player expenditures.

The leafs are way over cap, when they set the cap it was thought 10 teams would be a closer to the floor and 10 roaming the middle. If everyone had a payroll like the leafs escrow would be huge.
I’m not talking profits I am talking spending.
In a perfect world all teams would make cash like the leafs and the players would make bank but escrow makes it so every team spends 10% more helping inflate escrow. It’s a catch 22

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
No wonder the 'fair offer' to Karlsson was never accepted, he just couldn't reach them.

Well in fairness Dorion had to call collect at the trade deadline. Maybe Karlssons agent didn't accept the collect call ?

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
There does seem to be more to the story, but anything other than a sale doesn't make much sense. What kind of a business relationship would they have otherwise.

Maybe this?

KAGR | A Family of Businesses

KAGR (Kraft Analytics Group) is a technology and services company focused on data management, advanced analytics and strategic consulting in the sports and entertainment industry. The KAGR team brings over 15 years of expertise, and now powers clients across the major U.S sports leagues, college athletics, and other key industry players. Whether leveraging its proprietary technology platform or partnering with its consulting services team, KAGR helps organizations become data-driven and use those analytics to grow the bottom line.

What We Do - Data Management - Predictive Analytics - Strategic Marketing | KAGR - Advanced analytics and Strategic Marketing

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
The leafs are way over cap, when they set the cap it was thought 10 teams would be a closer to the floor and 10 roaming the middle. If everyone had a payroll like the leafs escrow would be huge.
I’m not talking profits I am talking spending.
In a perfect world all teams would make cash like the leafs and the players would make bank but escrow makes it so every team spends 10% more helping inflate escrow. It’s a catch 22

I never mentioned profits, I said revenue. Escrow is about balancing revenue and player expenses. So you can't look at one without the other. If we spend less it only helps if we keep revenue static, but that hasn't been the case.

In the end, the more revenue the league makes, the more money the average player makes. If there are 700 players and the league makes 5 billion dollars, those 700 players get 2.5 billion. If our team tanks it's revenue, regardless of how much all the various teams are paying their players, there's a smaller pie from which the players get paid. It's extremely short sighted to like Escrow going down at the expense of overall revenues for the league. Players on average would be better off with us blowing the cap like the leafs if it means more overall HRR, even if it meant that escrow was a bit higher.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Perhaps she is just a teenage girl that overheard some casual conversations in the press box suggesting Kraft should get it on the real estate and sports deal in Ottawa, and he thought about it, and then she tweeted about it kind of out of context. Only to shortly thereafter have her social media accounts quickly taken down by concerned parents?

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands

I had gone down this rabbit hole before, because there was some link that indicated she worked there , or had worked there.

I think it's the most likely explanation, that they closed a deal with the Sens for their services, but maybe the official deal isn't done yet and they didn't want to announce anything.

I dunno. It would make almost no sense for Kraft to want to buy the Sens, so that's my .02.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Perhaps she is just a teenage girl that overheard some casual conversations in the press box suggesting Kraft should get it on the real estate and sports deal in Ottawa, and he thought about it, and then she tweeted about it kind of out of context. Only to shortly thereafter have her social media accounts quickly taken down by concerned parents?
She has posted dozens upon dozens of very “up close and personal” photos that you aren’t going to be able to get unless you are an immediate family/friend of the Krafts, many of which are outside of the Krafts press box.

Brady isn’t giving his rings to a random person at a party without having a pretty legit relationship with the Patriots in some form.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
I never mentioned profits, I said revenue. Escrow is about balancing revenue and player expenses. So you can't look at one without the other. If we spend less it only helps if we keep revenue static, but that hasn't been the case.

In the end, the more revenue the league makes, the more money the average player makes. If there are 700 players and the league makes 5 billion dollars, those 700 players get 2.5 billion. If our team tanks it's revenue, regardless of how much all the various teams are paying their players, there's a smaller pie from which the players get paid. It's extremely short sighted to like Escrow going down at the expense of overall revenues for the league. Players on average would be better off with us blowing the cap like the leafs if it means more overall HRR, even if it meant that escrow was a bit higher.

Only if it meant more HRR that I have already stated yes, the problem now is most teams are over spending and it’s pushing up escrow not HRR
And the sens blowing the roof of the cap and spending 30 million more is not going to bring up the sens HRR 60 million dollars. So the players would not be better off. 4 guys would at the expense of everyone else.
Like you said it’s a balance but it’s already tilted too far in one direction, the players need some cheapies

Last edited:

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
She has posted dozens upon dozens of very “up close and personal” photos that you aren’t going to be able to get unless you are an immediate family/friend of the Krafts, many of which are outside of the Krafts press box.

Brady isn’t giving his rings to a random person at a party without having a pretty legit relationship with the Patriots in some form.

Oh sorry i didnt mean to suggest she was just a random teenage girl, it does seem she has been in the press box and is related, but rather i was just saying that as a teenage girl, relative of the Krafts, she posted as teenagers are wont to do and then got blowback.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
I'm so proud of Eugene for getting that sketchy charity shut down.

He's always willing to step up and help out this community.

BloodRedArmy

Nov 29, 2013
Bytown
Only if it meant more HRR that I have already stated yes, the problem now is most teams are over spending and it’s pushing up escrow not HRR
And the sens blowing the roof of the cap and spending 30 million more is not going to bring up the sens HRR 60 million dollars. So the players would not be better off. 4 guys would at the expense of everyone else.
Like you said it’s a balance but it’s already tilted too far in one direction, the players need some cheapies
Fellas, fellas....

WHO CARES?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

No, they really don't. They get their share of the revenue regardless. If revenue is 5 billion, players get 2.5 regardless of whether the escrow gets set at 8% or at 15%. Sens spending less or more doesn't change what share the players get, but sens pulling in less revenue because they won't ice a competitive roster does.

Reactions: Tighthead

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
The woman who donated her liver to Eugene Melnyck didn’t ask for anything except anonymity

Melncyk gets his new liver and then says he wants to help everyone by giving them the same chance and then stops the charity because he says he’s not getting enough credit

This is how insane people think

Reactions: Acidrain66

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
The woman who donated her liver to Eugene Melnyck didn’t ask for anything except anonymity

Melncyk gets his new liver and then says he wants to help everyone by giving them the same chance and then stops the charity because he says he’s not getting enough credit

This is how insane people think
Where did Melnyk say that?

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
The only reasonable "charity" billionaires should have is to be taxed to the bones. Everything else is a way to appear generous but keep their massive wealth intact.

It doesn't afford them any tax advantages that generous donations don't already cover.

They don't get credit for the money raised or spent.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad