News Article: NHL must step in to stop shady Senators owner Eugene Melnyk

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
I'm not familiar enough with organizations like this, so hard to really know what's happening internally, but the questions that jump out to me are

-with management and admin being so high, what is there purpose of this org, and are they doing anything meaningful as a mandate.

-They received almost $50K from other charities. I think it's pretty normal to receive money from other foundations, but, this is where having results and metrics are important, as tjose organizations often rewuire it for their owners reporting purposes.

-Liabilities exceed assets by a significant amount. Information is almost 2 years old though, so this could be easily resolved, however if fundraising hasn't increased, then it's more money going to paying old obligations, and less towards their mandate.

-not sure when the disclosure requirements occur, but, it seems like 2018 figures should be available now. For a small operation, meeting administrative filing deadlines can likely be a challenge, but, given issue above, it does raise questions.

-I'm unsure on what would constitute "other liabilities" at such a high amount (over $150K). Seems high and vague.

-The amount of non-receipt donations seems high (also about $150K) for an org this size. It depends on the nature of their fundraising, but, with lack of staff, I don't think you'd see high volumes of small donations that could lead to that.

There's really very little to make any big conclusions off of, and there could easily be simple explanations for above. But, shutting a charitable ventures down does not help his narrative.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Was just coming here to post this. Interesting that the person behind the Twitter account is doubling down on the Kraft grandaughter thing.
Interesting indeed.

They make some legit points. Why would this person be able to post so many images that connects them to the Krafts/Patriots if they had nothing to do with them? Did they create a fake persona based on a real person that is in that circle?

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
Interesting indeed.

They make some legit points. Why would this person be able to post so many images that connects them to the Krafts/Patriots if they had nothing to do with them? Did they create a fake persona based on a real person that is in that circle?

That's one of few possible explanations, which just makes it even more bizarre.

Because not only would they be spoofing a Kraft relative, it's then a question of , are they Ottawa based? Why would anyone troll the Sens out of all the sports franchises? There is no value added to social media profile for endorsements or subcribers long term, just maybe a relatively short lived bump in attention from Ottawa Senators fans and the hockey world.

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
I mean, like Bonk would say, that could theoretically be true, but we have actual unsettled lawsuits x 3 that at least allow me to make the argument that appears to be not entirely accurate.

If he's trying to sell the team, there is no way he wants anyone to think he is hurting. Hurts the value of a sale.
If he's not trying to sell the team, there is no way he wants anyone to think he is hurting. Hurts his ego.

He's the Schrodinger of Sens ownership. He's both broke and rich.

He's just a spiteful man. The lawsuits are probably just him rattling cages and him thinking he's above everyone. Don't think a sale is coming any time soon. Maybe his daughters will sell once he dies but I dontd see anything happening before then.

Silencio

Nov 6, 2006
Toronto
Interesting indeed.

There is also a "Kathryn Kraft" Instagram account with 125k followers that appears to have been recently deactivated. Probably coincidental timing, but...

Slack

everything's fine?
Apr 27, 2012
Interesting indeed.

Random twitter sports guy claimed Kathryn is his niece rather than his granddaughter. No idea if that's true but would make sense if the she has years of posts linking her to the Patriots and to Robert.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Interesting read. It's worth noting that lots of people don't use their real name online, opting to use their middle names, or mother's maiden name. While it very well could have been a joke or baseless speculation by whoever Kathryne Kraft is, there is definitely more to this story than just "Robert Kraft doesn't have a granddaughter named Kathryne" even if there is no actual potential of Kraft buying the team

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Teams underperforming wrt revenue projections means the players get less of their escrow payments back at year end. Any person or player thinking that a team tanking their revenue is good for player's wallets shows a fundamental lack of understanding how escrow works.

I was referring to the sens having a low payroll I guess I didn’t say it right. If every team was a billion over like the leafs escrow would be monsterous. Anyway I don’t think anyone is trying to force a sugar daddy on the sens fans. Although with the recent spending going on I would assume EM got told to at least spend a little more dollars on the team itself

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Purely my own speculation but the charity seemed like a PR stunt initially set up to offset the negative stigma of using your sports team to hop the line for the initial organ donation, this move combined with the project's lack of tangible action over it's existence strengthens that belief for me.

I tend to view virtually all big charities as a scam to be honest, donate your money straight to the source or better yet donate your time!
That's pretty much a lot of billionaire philanthropy.

Reactions: Upgrayedd

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
Ah, ok, that makes more sense. Definitely not full disclosure on the part of the charity, then.

At the same time, that isn't unusual for rich people charities. Most of 'em will list everyone in the family tree as part of the board or whatever to get resume credentials and tax credits and all of that jazz.

Any time a famous/influential person sets up a foundation or charity, it usually lets them put family members on the payroll. It is legit, but unnecessary.

I'm not sure how many others have done the same thing, but I know Troy Aikman just works with the United Way. He can raise money in Dallas/Texas like few others anywhere. If he has an initiative or cause, he can do it under the United Way and it is just as effective as a foundation without requiring the same level of management and expenses. It is much more efficient.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
That's one of few possible explanations, which just makes it even more bizarre.

Because not only would they be spoofing a Kraft relative, it's then a question of , are they Ottawa based? Why would anyone troll the Sens out of all the sports franchises? There is no value added to social media profile for endorsements or subcribers long term, just maybe a relatively short lived bump in attention from Ottawa Senators fans and the hockey world.
Agreed. It would be an elaborate troll job for what purpose? To troll a small market fan base that's already being trolled by the owner in the first place? Doesn't make sense.
There is also a "Kathryn Kraft" Instagram account with 125k followers that appears to have been recently deactivated. Probably coincidental timing, but...
I assume that's a lot of followers? I don't have or follow instagram, so I have no idea.
Interesting read. It's worth noting that lots of people don't use their real name online, opting to use their middle names, or mother's maiden name. While it very well could have been a joke or baseless speculation by whoever Kathryne Kraft is, there is definitely more to this story than just "Robert Kraft doesn't have a granddaughter named Kathryne" even if there is no actual potential of Kraft buying the team
I'm surprised in general how many people go by their middle names, or a spelling of their name they made up themselves. It's surprisingly common ime at work.

There does seem to be more to the story, but anything other than a sale doesn't make much sense. What kind of a business relationship would they have otherwise.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Uhh... Why does Melnyk's charity have zero staff? Or directors?

Or a phone number? Or an address?

And why is the ONLY fundraising ventures the charity has ever engaged in is "fundraising dinners & galas"? And why, if the ONLY fundraising they have ever engaged in is dinners & galas, are they paying 2/5ths of the charity's entire financial portfolio on "consultants"

This... is super sketchy.

harrisb

Oct 6, 2009

And why is the ONLY fundraising ventures the charity has ever engaged in is "fundraising dinners & galas"? And why, if the ONLY fundraising they have ever engaged in is dinners & galas, are they paying 2/5ths of the charity's entire financial portfolio on "consultants"

Brutal, I can't believe Melnyk thinks he can run this like a professional sports team. :sarcasm:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I was referring to the sens having a low payroll I guess I didn’t say it right. If every team was a billion over like the leafs escrow would be monsterous. Anyway I don’t think anyone is trying to force a sugar daddy on the sens fans. Although with the recent spending going on I would assume EM got told to at least spend a little more dollars on the team itself

Escrow is a mechanism to ensure HRR is split 50/50. In order for us to not drive up escrow, we would need to generate more than double the HRR compared to our player salaries. I'm not sure how us tanking our revenues is going to accomplish that as more and more of the little revenue we get is actually coming from revenue sharing, which isn't HRR generated by us.

On the flip side, the leafs are quite possibly driving down escrow, because they probably bring in more than double their expected player expenditures.

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008

That's funny cause his hockey team also has no staff and I assume no phone number.

Reactions: harrisb

harrisb

Oct 6, 2009
No wonder the 'fair offer' to Karlsson was never accepted, he just couldn't reach them.
It wasn’t our fault, they were digging for gold in the CTC parking lot and it severed the wire. Melnyk has been fined for neglecting to call before you dig however the fine is being challenged in court.

in all seriousness, I’m not even mad anymore, this is like a comedy festival

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad