News Article: NHL must step in to stop shady Senators owner Eugene Melnyk

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
I'm just making a general point about how most charities billionaires set up are bull****, and inadvertently(or not), about wealth inequality.

Setting up a charity or not has no impact on wealth inequality. It doesn't make it easier to hold on to what you already have.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
No, they really don't. They get their share of the revenue regardless. If revenue is 5 billion, players get 2.5 regardless of whether the escrow gets set at 8% or at 15%. Sens spending less or more doesn't change what share the players get, but sens pulling in less revenue because they won't ice a competitive roster does.

The players already receive over 50% that’s why they get taxed with escrow, if the sens up the payroll by 20 million and the sens HRR goes up by 10 million this means 5 million goes to the players(50%) the other 15 would also come out of escrow payments from all the other players and be returned to the owners.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
The guy is claiming that the league and players are happy with Melnyk losing money in Ottawa. I think that rightly deserves to be called out for the immense bs that it.

No I am claiming the players don’t mind if Ottawa has a low pay roll, and the other owners don’t care if Ottawa makes cash or not because it means they can keep the cap down and their own profits up. But if you want to act like the other owners give a crap that the sens fans are unhappy I doubt that very much

Reactions: Do Make Say Think

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
No I am claiming the players don’t mind if Ottawa has a low pay roll, and the other owners don’t care if Ottawa makes cash or not because it means they can keep the cap down and their own profits up. But if you want to act like the other owners give a crap that the sens fans are unhappy I doubt that very much

100% agreed with one caveat:

The players don't care about the payroll until they become UFAs.

I'm sure that Vegas is happy about that fact as well :laugh:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
The players already receive over 50% that’s why they get taxed with escrow, if the sens up the payroll by 20 million and the sens HRR goes up by 10 million this means 5 million goes to the players(50%) the other 15 would also come out of escrow payments from all the other players and be returned to the owners.

Who is Ottawa signing though? Are we just annulling our current deals and re-signing them at double the price, or giving AHL players giant contracts?

If we start spending to the cap, it just means the UFA's and players we otherwise let go or trade to other teams get offered competitive deals by us, and the overall impact gets spread across the league as the market adjusts to a more competitive landscape with one more bidder. We don't just suddenly spend more in a vacuum. Our signings have implications on other teams signings too.

The whole original post was that we are tanking our revenues, which is bad for all players. Us spending less doesn't benefit anyone in a realistic scenario, it just creates a scenario where there have and have not teams in terms of talent instead of a more even distribution and a less engaging product resulting in decrease revenue overall.

The ideal scenario for players is that every team spends the same amount, whether that be at the cap ceiling, midpoint or floor it doesn't matter, because that results in more parity which means a more engaging product and more revenue. Having a team under spend the way the Sens are currently doing is bad for business which is bad for everyone involved.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
He decides to reboot because he wants more credit...

What an arse.
He could be angling for something else. I definitely believe he is petty enough to end it over who gets the credit but with how the Ontario government is planning on moving forward, he could be angling to swoop in to get into the private sector of organ donation. Fewer laws to keep the vultures away, many of the agencies and networks that are gobbled up by this Ontario health mega Corp or whatever they want to call it will start to sub contract out their work including Trillium.

Guys like Melnyk and Doug Ford's friends are salivating at the prospect. The time has is almost here for them after they starve the beast. The press release even mentions they want to model themselves after the university of Pittsburgh organ transplant program.

GrantLemons

Church of FYOUS
Feb 3, 2013
Ottawa, ON
He could be angling for something else. I definitely believe he is petty enough to end it over who gets the credit but with how the Ontario government is planning on moving forward, he could be angling to swoop in to get into the private sector of organ donation. Fewer laws to keep the vultures away, many of the agencies and networks that are gobbled up by this Ontario health mega Corp or whatever they want to call it will start to sub contract out their work including Trillium.

Guys like Melnyk and Doug Ford's friends are salivating at the prospect. The time has is almost here for them after they starve the beast. The press release even mentions they want to model themselves after the university of Pittsburgh organ transplant program.

I think it's always a safe assumption that it's always about cash with Eugene. Whatever gets released to the media is just fluff/bs.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Why did it take this long for the media to finally start going after the owner?

Because now is when attendance is going to crater.

Has very little to do with concerns about ownership though, people just know the team is awful and all their favourite players were traded away.

18Hossa

And Grace, Too
Oct 12, 2012
Why did it take this long for the media to finally start going after the owner?
Even then, its Wayne Scanlan, he used to write for the citizen before he got let go. So he's still pretty much an Ottawa reporter but it is good he can write these pieces for Sportsnet that has a broader audience.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad