News Article: NHL must step in to stop shady Senators owner Eugene Melnyk

18Hossa

And Grace, Too
Oct 12, 2012
Shutting down because he wasn't getting the credit he thought he deserved (and could have gotten if he changed one small thing) seems plausible to me so if there is actually a worse(or better) reason why then I'm all ears.

Reactions: Rand0m

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Shutting down because he wasn't getting the credit he thought he deserved (and could have gotten if he changed one small thing) seems plausible to me so if there is actually a worse(or better) reason why then I'm all ears.

Why you need credit for saving people’s
Loves. You do charity for others not for yourself or for an ego boost. Worst excuse ever, blaming a real organization that has helped thousands of people because you don’t feel you’re getting credit you shouldn’t be asking for in the beginning.

This is classless beyond classless. This is the opposite of Roger Nielsen.

Reactions: 18Hossa and Rand0m

18Hossa

And Grace, Too
Oct 12, 2012
booooo.

you can't arouse us and not finish us off.
Agreed!
th

th

NorthCoast

May 1, 2017
and when asked why this organization couldn’t share said information:

oh...

then he goes on to say, it’ll now be done through social media so they can properly verify the results... AKA: he wants to be praised for the “charity” work he’s doing.

Seriously, how much longer do we have to suffer with this moron?

Lol...it's ridiculous.

"I don't ask for a thank you, I only ask that anyone that has a transplant, please pass on the message"....."oh, and I am shutting it down until I get all the credit"

NorthCoast

May 1, 2017

Well, it's not completely plausible. It's not like they wouldn't have had a dozen other data sets from the organization activities that could have painted a picture of the impact.

- How much web traffic did their site get?
- How many users clicked on the register button, or exited the site from that page?
- How large was the reach of their awareness campaigns that drew people to the site, display impressions, social reach, event attendance, etc. etc. ?
- How much did he personally donate to the charity, how much have others and how was this money spent?
- Why can't the Ontario registration site provide data on incoming traffic/converted registrations from the charity...this is literally a 2 min thing to look up.?
etc. etc.

Surely they can provide something to back up the claim that they had an impact, because otherwise people are going to go after what they can find publicly. And what I can see publicly is that the website got a few hundred visitors a month....which does not translate into driving the 30-40% uplift (60k-80k increase) in donors. Maybe they spent so much on campaigns that the awareness did have a significant role, but it would be strange to have that kind of impact yet so little web traffic.

Don't think we are getting the whole story yet.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
This one seems especially greasy, assume it is one of: an ego thing, the charity served its purposes or tax related!

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
That's normal.

Ok....so I don't see anything else that stands out. Unless we're looking at (approx) 136k not being spent...although that does tend to happen, where newer foundations build up a surplus fund for future expenses.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Ok....so I don't see anything else that stands out. Unless we're looking at (approx) 136k not being spent...although that does tend to happen, where newer foundations build up a surplus fund for future expenses.
Seems more like the fact that roughly 60% of funds are going toward non-charity related functions. Pretty safe bet that the fundraising costs are going straight to Melnyk, considering that most of the advertising for the program was done at CTC.

NorthCoast

May 1, 2017

Raising 530k and only spending 150k on programs is not a good look.

The typical measuring stick is to spend 35 cents or LESS of every dollar raising the next dollar and 65 cents or more on programming. The organ Project is clearly the reverse.

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
His charity has no directors and no employee information. Compared to the Senators Foundation that has 17 registered directors.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
It's more about what is not there.
There is a lot of information that should be there. Including list of directors.

Ah, ok, that makes more sense. Definitely not full disclosure on the part of the charity, then.

At the same time, that isn't unusual for rich people charities. Most of 'em will list everyone in the family tree as part of the board or whatever to get resume credentials and tax credits and all of that jazz.

Rand0m

Oct 2, 2011
Maybe some at CRA started investigating this "charity" and he just decided it wasn't worth pretending anymore.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Purely my own speculation but the charity seemed like a PR stunt initially set up to offset the negative stigma of using your sports team to hop the line for the initial organ donation, this move combined with the project's lack of tangible action over it's existence strengthens that belief for me.

I tend to view virtually all big charities as a scam to be honest, donate your money straight to the source or better yet donate your time!

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

BloodRedArmy

Nov 29, 2013
Bytown
I wonder if maybe Melnyk was on the receiving end of the $200K "Consulting fees"? I don't know the first thing about this stuff, just spitballing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad