News Article: NHL must step in to stop shady Senators owner Eugene Melnyk

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Because now is when attendance is going to crater.

Has very little to do with concerns about ownership though, people just know the team is awful and all their favourite players were traded away.
My experience doesn't really reflect this. I don't know many IRL Sens fans out here in the west end that don't spit at the name of Eugene Melnyk. I only know 2 people out of maybe two dozen who've held onto their season seats. Most of them because of Melnyk. The other two hate Melnyk just as much but one has a business he just gives 90% of the tickets away to clients or employees and the other has a home that's a stone's throw away from the arena that he bought purposely because he wanted to easily attend Sens games with his young kids.

Everyone else, myself included won't be back until EM is gonzo.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
from friedman:

15. Ottawa owner Eugene Melnyk halted the search for a President of Hockey Operations until at least the end of the season. What is uncertain is if the search will continue, or if GM Pierre Dorion’s work convinces Melnyk that no new hire is necessary. It is believed Melnyk was asking an experienced executive for suggestions (I’d heard Glen Sather), but we can’t be sure if that will continue, either.

Matsens15

Dec 1, 2009
Ottawa
We also have the make the message clear that once he is gone we will be going back to the games. We support the team. We dont support him.

yup. I didn’t go to CTC since he went out at heritage classic used to go 20x a year. The second that old ***** sells the team I am going back to cheer on the team I love. I hope everybody will do the same sell that barn out even if we are dead last just to send Melnyk a message.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
My experience doesn't really reflect this. I don't know many IRL Sens fans out here in the west end that don't spit at the name of Eugene Melnyk. I only know 2 people out of maybe two dozen who've held onto their season seats. Most of them because of Melnyk. The other two hate Melnyk just as much but one has a business he just gives 90% of the tickets away to clients or employees and the other has a home that's a stone's throw away from the arena that he bought purposely because he wanted to easily attend Sens games with his young kids.

Everyone else, myself included won't be back until EM is gonzo.

I think Melnyk matters in terms of reduced attendance but not a lot of this is new now.

Attendance is going to be absolutely terrible this year because of team performance and all the fan favourites being traded away, that's the stuff that actively drives away the casual fans and casual fans are the lifeblood of any business. Casual fans don't tend to follow the business side of things like we do.

The invested fans had already lost most of their enthusiasm for the team. Now that has trickled down to the casual fans because the team now sucks and all the fan favourites are gone.

I just think that matters more to attendance numbers that Melnyk's antics. Obviously Melnyk being a dark cloud does have an effect, but what happened last year drove away even those who aren't actively trying to stay informed.

Dino Tkachuk

Ottawa Senators
Jan 6, 2009
"...season ticket sales at an all-time low (a source says as low as 3,500)"

Daaaannnng...

We used to be regularly almost 3x that many.
My understanding is that 10,000 is the number the NHL likes to maintain and that is what was required by the league to grant Ottawa a franchise. They were talking about it on the NHL network recently.

3,500...wow....looks good on him.

Last edited:

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
I think Melnyk matters in terms of reduced attendance but not a lot of this is new now.

Attendance is going to be absolutely terrible this year because of team performance and all the fan favourites being traded away, that's the stuff that actively drives away the casual fans and casual fans are the lifeblood of any business. Casual fans don't tend to follow the business side of things like we do.

The invested fans had already lost most of their enthusiasm for the team. Now that has trickled down to the casual fans because the team now sucks and all the fan favourites are gone.

I just think that matters more to attendance numbers that Melnyk's antics. Obviously Melnyk being a dark cloud does have an effect, but what happened last year drove away even those who aren't actively trying to stay informed.
The season seat numbers suggest that the non-casual crowd is the one that's really turning their backs though. The 3,500 number is staggering. This isn't just about a casual walk up crowd.

You're not wrong. Everyone pretty much seems done with Melnyk at this point, one way or another.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City

It seems like sports is the only industry where you are supposed to pay for mediocrity. If we were talking about a restaurant that served bad food no one one would be judged for not supporting them. I think every fan is finally realizing this and won't be lured in with blind faith.

Going out and trading away your own home grown stars who all wanted to stay just to replace them with young players you hope will become at least equally as good doesn't doesn't bode well for the paying public.

People really have to start boycotting the other events at the CTC too.

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
My understanding is that 10,000 is the number the NHL likes to maintain and that is what was required by the league to grant Ottawa a franchise. They were talking about it on the NHL network recently.

3,500...wow....looks good on him.

Yeah but...

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
Just a thought here....

In a way to show the NHL and any new potential owners how much we still care.

We should get a designated game once a month or 2 months, whatever it is.. and sell out that game. It would be a clear message.

It would be nice to spread this around and try and show everyone how strong we can be.

Reactions: Qward

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
lool you finish reading one article and another pops up with this guy.

Imagine if this is how he loses the team? Somehow Ruddy gets all of his assets through court.

Im interested in how Ruddy is going to convince a judge Melnyk wanting 'the valuable naming rights' is an issue. I hope the judge orders the bailiff to bang there heads together and kicks them out of the room.

I know everyone puts all the blame on one person but if its your arena and your nhl team,why would you give Ruddy a major NHL revenue stream?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad