NHL investigating Coyotes over physical testing of CHL players

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Bettman was doing a presser he was asked about this by Custance and Bettman mentioned “IF” as it pertained to the Coyotes receiving any punishment at all.
That same IF was used by Lebrun in the article.

ParisSaintGermain

Jan 19, 2004
Visionary move by Chayka to have an ongoing combine organised throughout the season now that everything is slowly being cancelled.

Reactions: MIG

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Can't access that in the US. Cliff's notes?
Crap, the tweet said it was accessable in the US?? The testing was stretching and stuff , some of which was recorded. Talk of between 40 and 80 players. Teams have been calling the League as the advantage now is even greater. Bettman will hold a hearing. Suspects penalty if guilty to be financial, loss of consideration for events, draft picks, and possible Management changes. Does not think this is going away.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I’d be fine with firing our entire hockey ops department, including front office and the entire coaching staff. Also good with trading everyone on the roster over 25.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
If a draft eligible player bends down to tie his shoe in front of a coyote scout does that classify as a performance test?
I think we are both smart enough to know that isn't what is be alleged here.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I think we are both smart enough to know that isn't what is be alleged here.
I’d love to hear the allegations. Darren Dreger’s constant “GM’s are very concerned about physical testing” rhetoric schtic is getting ridiculous. This has gone from physical testing in a gym to stretching. Stretching. I had visions of a v90 windgate and now I’m finding out that all they have done is stretched. Wow. Call me underwhelmed.

the whole reason the chl teams were upset in The first place is they were concerned that their players were being physically overworked. From stretching......

What’s next. Did they play tiddlywinks?

I’m honestly underwhelmed by this report. It’s getting to be ridiculous.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I’d love to hear the allegations. Darren Dreger’s constant “GM’s are very concerned about physical testing” rhetoric schtic is getting ridiculous. This has gone from physical testing in a gym to stretching. Stretching. I had visions of a v90 windgate and now I’m finding out that all they have done is stretched. Wow. Call me underwhelmed.

the whole reason the chl teams were upset in The first place is they were concerned that their players were being physically overworked. From stretching......

What’s next. Did they play tiddlywinks?

I’m honestly underwhelmed by this report. It’s getting to be ridiculous.
I don't recall ever hearing of testing in a gym being mentioned?? This is the first time I have heard anything specific.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Dreger’s trying to play this up more than it is.

Originally we heard 22 players were tested. Now he’s claiming it’s 40 or 80. Which essentially means he hasn’t any idea so he’s tossing numbers out for dramatics.

Hey also trying to rewrite the rules from earlier on what’s “strictly forbidden”, and what the penalties are.

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
Crap, the tweet said it was accessable in the US?? The testing was stretching and stuff , some of which was recorded. Talk of between 40 and 80 players. Teams have been calling the League as the advantage now is even greater. Bettman will hold a hearing. Suspects penalty if guilty to be financial, loss of consideration for events, draft picks, and possible Management changes. Does not think this is going away.
So now that draft eligible players are done with their seasons because of an emergency situation, other teams seem to think they have a stronger case against the Coyotes? I know this is going to be much more so in the realm of lawyers so I think we can rely on an actual standard of objectivity here, but I also know in their own product on the ice, objectivity is thrown out the window when it comes to refereeing, so I'm not sure what to expect.

Dreger, I'm sure, is more than happy to keep a story going, especially considering there are no stories going right now. Note that he offers up just about every possibility for what the punishment could be were there to be a guilty verdict, meaning he is actually just throwing everything out there because he doesn't know, and he conveniently skitters past posting any insight onto which way Bettman could be swinging. Just assume it's going to happen and let's dwell on the possible punishments as that's what people want to hear about.

Furthermore, imagine using the excuse that your entire scouting staff was outdone by the Coyotes because they had that insane advantage of knowing which players could touch their toes.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH

It was accessible from both my PC and iPhone. The site might have thought @rt was dialing in from Botswana. ;)

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
"
So now that draft eligible players are done with their seasons because of an emergency situation, other teams seem to think they have a stronger case against the Coyotes? I know this is going to be much more so in the realm of lawyers so I think we can rely on an actual standard of objectivity here, but I also know in their own product on the ice, objectivity is thrown out the window when it comes to refereeing, so I'm not sure what to expect.

Dreger, I'm sure, is more than happy to keep a story going, especially considering there are no stories going right now. Note that he offers up just about every possibility for what the punishment could be were there to be a guilty verdict, meaning he is actually just throwing everything out there because he doesn't know, and he conveniently skitters past posting any insight onto which way Bettman could be swinging. Just assume it's going to happen and let's dwell on the possible punishments as that's what people want to hear about.

Furthermore, imagine using the excuse that your entire scouting staff was outdone by the Coyotes because they had that insane advantage of knowing which players could touch their toes.

Playing devil's advocate for a moment....

Those other GM's are "concerned" because the combine has been postponed and there's no guarantee they can hold one prior to the next draft. There's a feeling that the Coyotes will have an advantage in having data that nobody else has if that were to happen.

However there's a drawback with that thinking in that the Coyotes interviewed these prospects several months ago. Any physical conditioning data taken back then (IF it was taken) would be useless now...... UNLESS..... they do have a combine. Then the Coyotes would have an advantage knowing whether or not a prospect has progressed (or regressed) from the original testing data.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
These charges are obviously bogus. Any team that would put Kessel on their roster isn't concerned with fitness.
I know it was a joke but in Kessel's Leaf days he consistently ranked at the top of the Team when testing was done. No idea how he does these days but there arent exactly a ton of specimens on the Coyotes!!!

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
I know it was a joke but in Kessel's Leaf days he consistently ranked at the top of the Team when testing was done. No idea how he does these days but there arent exactly a ton of specimens on the Coyotes!!!

:dunno:

iu

Reactions: Jakey53

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad