Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
:dunno:

iu
That is funny. Made my day.

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
There's a troll on the main board that's obsessed with this story. Bumped a thread to make back-to-back-to-back posts and then made his own thread.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I once had a dream that I was in gym class and I came in last in stretching. Then I remembered you can’t measure stretching and it didn’t matter.

Reactions: MIG

Tom Polakis

Eternal Optimist
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ
There's a troll on the main board that's obsessed with this story. Bumped a thread to make back-to-back-to-back posts and then made his own thread.

I just came across that "tin foil hat" thread (he even gave it that title). Best reply so far is, "I think you're vastly overestimating the competence of the Arizona Coyotes."

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
"

Playing devil's advocate for a moment....

Those other GM's are "concerned" because the combine has been postponed and there's no guarantee they can hold one prior to the next draft. There's a feeling that the Coyotes will have an advantage in having data that nobody else has if that were to happen.

However there's a drawback with that thinking in that the Coyotes interviewed these prospects several months ago. Any physical conditioning data taken back then (IF it was taken) would be useless now...... UNLESS..... they do have a combine. Then the Coyotes would have an advantage knowing whether or not a prospect has progressed (or regressed) from the original testing data.

I would disregard the line of reasoning that people are upset because of the coronavirus. These allegations were started long before people knew a season would be lost.

The stretching thing is odd. Of all the impacts that would be had, I feel like a player's flexibility has an impact, but it is hard to ascertain a lot from watching someone stretch.

I feel like there is some piece of information that is not being stated by either the NHL or the Coyotes to break this into unacceptable territory, but I don't know how stringent the league will be.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Here's the answer! The most Coyotes outcome! We win 1st overall, but the NHL requires us to forfeit the pick because of this illegal combine thing. New Jersey gets our 2021 1st instead. That one wins the lottery also.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Here's the answer! The most Coyotes outcome! We win 1st overall, but the NHL requires us to forfeit the pick because of this illegal combine thing. New Jersey gets our 2021 1st instead. That one wins the lottery also.
1000 hockey guys in Toronto and all we have in terms of potential allegations are stretching and balancing. Investigative journalism at its finest.

Reactions: Jakey53

rt

May 13, 2004

Strickland thinks we could lose our 2nd this year and our 1st next year.

Might be worth it. Meruelo will have to fire the entire front office. The new hires will have to fire the entire coaching staff. A 1st and a 2nd seems like a small price to pay.

Reactions: _Del_ and MIG

rt

May 13, 2004
Also, when Hall leaves, that means we will be without our 1st this year (NJD) our 2nd this year (NHL) and our 3rd this year (COL) our 1st next year (NHL) and our 3rd next year (NJD).

If this plays out that way, it will immediately make John Chayka the worst NHL GM in the last decade at least. And it won’t be close.

Reactions: Matias Maccete

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site

Strickland thinks we could lose our 2nd this year and our 1st next year.

Might be worth it. Meruelo will have to fire the entire front office. The new hires will have to fire the entire coaching staff. A 1st and a 2nd seems like a small price to pay.

I didn’t see that quote in the link. Just that “other GM’s pushing for punishment” drivel that Camembert (Dreger) has been pushing for months. Shockingly still no clarity on the allegations. I mean we are only 3-4 months into this story.

Edit: did a separate search and found the quote on the draft picks.

Dr VinnyBoombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Since we're the Coyotes I'm sure that will happen, but it would be nice just once if this franchise could catch a break. We caught one last summer with Meruelo buying the club, but that can't be followed up by basically losing all of those draft choices...it would absolutely bury the club if that happens.

Reactions: Matias Maccete

tucknroll

Feb 13, 2015
If this really is just over stretching and other minor things that were in a grey area of the rules. I would be surprised if the team receives more than a slap on the wrist, with the NHL adding more strict rules to ensure it wont happen again. This is a money losing team thats been sold numerous times and the NHL has done a lot just to help keep them in the desert. They just got an owner that is willing to and WANTS to spend some money to give this team a chance to succeed. No way the NHL wants to ruin that by setting the team back after finally getting what they've hoped for 10+ years to find.
New Jersey back in 2013 when they got a new owner and Kovy retired with that 17 year contract that would have screwed the team over. NHL gave them a break and practically a penalty free treatment (250,000 cap hit for the 12 years remaining instead of the 6.6 mill average). They made sure the NHL would bail them out before they'd buy the team though which was smart. It does show that the NHL is willing to ease up on punishments though.

Reactions: PuckLife

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
"Teams" can push for whatever they want and have a competitive reason to do so, even if unreasonable. Unless it's a clear and egregious violation of league bylaws, the punishment can't be disproportionate to the crime.

Yes, I was sitting there thinking something similar. Of course the other teams want to play up any advantage they can get over the Yotes. Especially since no combine. They want the edge for themself and nobody else in an ideal world.

I'm just wondering what the hold up is? Just make a decision and move on already... plenty of time has elapsed for this investigation hasn't it? Especially since no one can play hockey right now... plenty of time to have phone calls, etc. I don't know the ins and outs of how they go about it but seems like feet are dragging.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Yes, I was sitting there thinking something similar. Of course the other teams want to play up any advantage they can get over the Yotes. Especially since no combine. They want the edge for themself and nobody else in an ideal world.

I'm just wondering what the hold up is? Just make a decision and move on already... plenty of time has elapsed for this investigation hasn't it? Especially since no one can play hockey right now... plenty of time to have phone calls, etc. I don't know the ins and outs of how they go about it but seems like feet are dragging.
If only these so called journalists had access to lists of players that they could have contacted these last 3-4 months. I mean where would a person start? I mean nobody has access to a literal list of names of potential people to ask questions of.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Well, competitive advantage, and if they think Chayka is an upstart jerk, they probably don't mind the opportunity to rub his nose in it.

rt

May 13, 2004
Maybe the punishment should be that the team has to terminate Chayka and Sullivan. Then they can hire a GM who can look at the obvious, glaring issues with this team, immediately fire the coaching staff, and look to add some players who actually care.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->