NHL investigating Coyotes over physical testing of CHL players

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
2 months in quarantine and Dreger hasn’t actually had the time apparently to confirm any allegation.

That's kind of where the issue lies. If the prospect said that they asked about my stretching routines, and then the prospect said that he showed them what he usually does to stretch (or let's say the prospect is getting over an injury, and we ask how he is stretching that area).

The thing with stretching is that often, for something like a stretch, it is easier for me to demonstrate the stretch, rather than say, "I cross my right foot over my left, then bend at the waist, reaching for a spot at the toes of my shoes."

The reason why there probably isn't a good background is because the Coyotes probably did this early on, and then maybe the 5th or 6th team that they went to asked their players how the interview went. The player probably talked about demonstrating stretches, which then circulates into "testing physical abilities."

Then, you have to go back and ask junior clubs and players about their interviews with the Coyotes. The thing is that there is probably never a time when a Coyote staff member suggested a physical test or stretch. The player provided it, but maybe the issue stretches into how close is too close to physical testing?

It is almost like they are getting the prospects to answer by having them demonstrate a stretch in front of them, but by telling the prospect to "describe a warm-up stretch that is done." The problem is that in this perspective, neither is wrong - the team staff is asking to talk about stretching, whereas the prospect is doing the actual stretching.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Or perhaps the team overstepped and was giving advice to prospects about their fitness routines and there was some coaching/observation going on. In a more back-and-forth way.

It's all wild speculation at this point. But maybe it was giving tips and their was mutual demonstration of that advice. Could see why the Yotes figured it would be okay because it's not testing so much as coaching and making sure kids are getting the best info/form/whatever. Could see why other teams would be upset because it crossed the line from interview to something more than interview. Maybe not technically testing, but certainly not just talking.

Again, just making stuff up here.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
If I wanted to make $5 a subscriber, this is the sort of story I'd actually look into... You know as a journalist, not a PR hack for an org that won't pay him because they van always find another stooge for free.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
If every team but Arizona had the measurements, I couldn't give any less of a shit or feel disadvantaged. And we have what, a few measurements (not all) for a room full of players?

The combine measurements can't be all that different from what is published or known elsewhere.

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
As Craig Morgan said it..... shots fired.

(or..... Steve Y is just bitter over getting Coyote’d.... again)

Aww poor guy. Definitely doesn't like having a taste of Yote's luck.

I, for one, will be sure to cry a river for the Red Wings franchise and their plight.

For real though... Glad there is a shot for the Yotes to win still. That would be a true sign that things aren't the same as usual. Hell... 2020 is crazy so why not go full crazy and help the Yotes out?!

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
... Glad there is a shot for the Yotes to win still. That would be a true sign that things aren't the same as usual. Hell... 2020 is crazy so why not go full crazy and help the Yotes out?!

There's a precedent: 9/11. Whole country roots for the Yankees for once, Arizona wins world series. 2020, global pandemic, Arizona wins NHL Lottery. Or Stanley Cup. Whichever.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Why do I have the feeling that these "testing" things are actually just questions to do the math.

JC: "Hey we see you are having a good season, how has the strength program been?"

Prospect: "Oh I added about 10 lbs. of muscle since last season, and I also grew two inches."

Chayka checks notes - last year, measured 5'9" and 160 lbs. *** Updates notes to 5'11" 170. *** Asks to have them come in while wearing workout clothes because people want to see what the body looks like with an additional 10 lbs. Is that as big as the player is likely to get? Can he carry more weight, and where is the muscle going - upper body, lower body, a combination?

It seems like if this was as blatant as it sounds to gain an advantage, there would be way more conversation.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Why do I have the feeling that these "testing" things are actually just questions to do the math.

JC: "Hey we see you are having a good season, how has the strength program been?"

Prospect: "Oh I added about 10 lbs. of muscle since last season, and I also grew two inches."

Chayka checks notes - last year, measured 5'9" and 160 lbs. *** Updates notes to 5'11" 170. *** Asks to have them come in while wearing workout clothes because people want to see what the body looks like with an additional 10 lbs. Is that as big as the player is likely to get? Can he carry more weight, and where is the muscle going - upper body, lower body, a combination?

It seems like if this was as blatant as it sounds to gain an advantage, there would be way more conversation.
Might actually have a reporter going on record with facts as to what the testing entailed. Only 6 months of this story lingering......

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Might actually have a reporter going on record with facts as to what the testing entailed. Only 6 months of this story lingering......

Right? It seems like one of these things where it was never intended to be an advantage, but people took it this way, even though there was no definition which stated that what the Coyotes were doing was illegal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad