NHL Goalies - Backups Only, Looking for Help

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
Red Wings Recalled Georges Gagnon in 28. October 1981

From Doctor No´s site Gilles Gilbert played the first 40 minutes of the previous game (25. Oct) and was replaced by Micalef. Nothing really points out to an injury. But that was the last game that Gilbert played in almost month. During that month Micalef played the games and was once replaced by Claude Legris. So it would seem that for reason or another Gilbert was out for about month.

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
Jim Park recalled by Islanders in 28. October 1980.

Chice Resch had injury in 25. October 1980. Rollie Melanson debuted in November 4. 1980. According to this article Melanson was just recalled. Billy Smith started three games between the Resch injury and Melanson debute. Difficult to say who was backup and when.

edit. Yep. On November 4.
Yonkers NY Herald Statesman
New York Islanders- Recalled Roland Melanson, goalie, from Indianapolis of the Central Hockey League. Returned Jim Park, goalie to Indianapolis.

But if Park was backup in Oct 28. and Nov 1. games who was backup in Oct 26. game. Resch despite his injury?

Last edited:

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
Red Wings Recalled Georges Gagnon in 28. October 1981

From Doctor No´s site Gilles Gilbert played the first 40 minutes of the previous game (25. Oct) and was replaced by Micalef. Nothing really points out to an injury. But that was the last game that Gilbert played in almost month. During that month Micalef played the games and was once replaced by Claude Legris. So it would seem that for reason or another Gilbert was out for about month.

No new names. Just small addition. Gilbert indeed had injury, but how many games that he actually missed. He was backup in some of the games despite his injuries.

Gilbert, who suffered the injury during a practice session two weeks ago, was in uniform Thursday night when the Red Wings routed the Los Angeles Kings 10-2, but didn't play.

http://www.upi.com/Archives/1981/11/06/Gilberts-arm-placed-in-cast/5666373870800/

As OT Gilles Gilbert has quite a track record with injuries. Only month after that he broke his right arm (also in practice). He missed games due, several finger injuries, sprained muscle in back, bruised calf, sprained right ankle, right elbow injury, broken right arm, badly bruised left arm, back problems, bruised hip, viral pneumonia, serious skin rash...

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
Mike Ralph Rangers 75-76

Ottawa Citizen - Jan 5, 1976
Rangers down to one healthy goaltie

January 7, 1976 Wisconsin State Journal
NEW YORK RANGERS — called up goalie Mike Ralph from Port Huron of the International Hockey League to replace John Davidson, who suffered a fractured right leg Sunday against Toronto.

Benchwarmers

Oct 27, 2013
Sebastien Tremblay's book confirms Ralph as Doug Soetaert's backup.

Any more information on this? How many or what game he may have dressed?

I was FINALLY able to confirm Dave Schill as a Maple Leafs backup on February 1, 1992. Will be adding his bio to the blog shortly.

Benchwarmers

Oct 27, 2013
Now up to 149 NHL backup only goalies.

Marek Langhamer is the only 2015/2016 goalie so far. JF Berube made his NHL debut so went from being a backup to actual NHLer.

I was able to confirm Randy Jaycock dressed as an emergecy backup for the Calgary Flames on Oct. 24, 1989. Working on adding the full story to the website. However, upon doing so I uncovered something else. Apparently Randy Jaycock also dressed as a backup goalie with the St. Louis Blues sometime around 1982. From a 1989 Calgary newspaper that reported on Jaycock's emergency call to the Flames -> "said Jaycock, who has never actually played in the NHL although he spent three games as a backup with St. Louis seven years ago." Since the article was from October, 1989, it would stand to reason Jaycock dressed with the Blues around 1982 but I can't find ANYTHING about Jaycock and the Blues.

Benchwarmers

Oct 27, 2013
Now up to 149 NHL backup only goalies.

Marek Langhamer is the only 2015/2016 goalie so far. JF Berube made his NHL debut so went from being a backup to actual NHLer.

I was able to confirm Randy Jaycock dressed as an emergecy backup for the Calgary Flames on Oct. 24, 1989. Working on adding the full story to the website. However, upon doing so I uncovered something else. Apparently Randy Jaycock also dressed as a backup goalie with the St. Louis Blues sometime around 1982. From a 1989 Calgary newspaper that reported on Jaycock's emergency call to the Flames -> "said Jaycock, who has never actually played in the NHL although he spent three games as a backup with St. Louis seven years ago." Since the article was from October, 1989, it would stand to reason Jaycock dressed with the Blues around 1982 but I can't find ANYTHING about Jaycock and the Blues.

Here's the full article because its a really good read:

From the Calgary Herald, Oct. 24, 1989. "Emergency gives goalie best seat in the Saddledome." by Gyle Konotopetz.

On a normal night, Randy Jaycock needs a ticket to see Calgary Flames play.

There was nothing normal about Monday night.

Jaycock got in free and he had maybe the best seat in the house. Right next to Ric Nattress. He was so close to the ice, he could feel the wind when Al MacInnis went into his backswing.

Normally, Jaycock would be mustering a hot dog during the pre-game warmup.

Last night, he was mustering his catcher's mitt. Warming up the Flames.

"I stoned Pep in the warmup," mused Jaycock. "We've got this feud goin'. I won't let him score on me."

Jaycock, a 26-year-old Calgary native who was cut by the Flames at training camp this fall, was pressed into uniform with his home-town club.

With Mike Vernon sidelined with back spasms and with Salt Lake City goalie Steve Guenette unable to travel to Calgary in time for the game, Jaycock was signed to an amateur tryout as a free agent and dressed as the backup to Rick Wamsley in the National Hockey League game against Washington.

To Jaycock, it was more than a thrill of a lifetime. It was also a fat paycheque - about $750 for warming up Peplinski and Co.

"Now, it's back to the salt mines," said Jaycock, who has retired from professional hockey to concentrate on his courier business.

"He comes walking in here and says: `Coach, here's your Robo-Rent-A-Goalie. Just make the cheque out to my company,' " said coach Terry Crisp.

"It's nice to have a local kid to fall back on in a situation like this."

When the camera lights cornered Jaycock in the dressing room, everybody wanted to know what league he's playing in.

"Gee, we don't really have a league to play in," said Jaycock, who has played one game with Drumheller Miners, a Triple-A senior team.

On his way to the rink after the Flames called him up from the Miners at 4 p.m., Jaycock saw his father Stan, the former Calgay sportsman of the year, at a red light.

"He looked over kind of puzzled," said Jaycock, who toiled with Bassano last year after winding up his professional career with Baltimore (American). "He couldn't figure out why I was wearing a suit. I didn't tell him I was playing. I wanted to keep it a secret until he got to the game."

After training camp, the Flames told Jaycock they may be able to use him as a fifth goalie in an emergency situation.

"I was happy help out," said Jaycock, who has never actually played in the NHL although he spent three games as a backup with St. Louis seven years ago. "I'm their fifth wheel. I'm a little rusty, so it's a good thing Wammer played the whole game. Now, it's time to get on with the other part of my life.

"I'm confident I could play if I had to, but my business is my No. 1 priority. It was fun. I had a pretty good seat for the game.

"When they called me, it was like: `What are you doin' tonight?' "

It was a big night for Jaycock. He even got an invitation to the Flames' Halloween party from the captain, Peplinski.

"Here," Peplinski said, handing him the invitation.

"Can I wear my mask?" asked Jaycock.

"Yeah, sure," piped Peplinski. "Come as a goalie."

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
Nice find!

I never found anything about him and Blues from the time. I remember that I found some comments/forum discussions describing him as former Blues goalie (one was from 1994). I found this from

January 28, 1981 Ukiah Daily Journal
By United Press International

The St. Louis Blues already blessed with strong goal-tenders Mike Liut and Ed Staniowski, discovered a third talented netminder — Rick Heinz — when Staniowski and Liut both were injured recently...

Skidmore was the fourth in line so checking if he was playing in Golden Eagles at the time could be helpful.

Rather interesting career he had. Played at Dallas Freeze in 1994. After his injury one of the goalies that Freeze used was Erin Whitten.

Thehair17

Nov 2, 2013
Alberta
Both Laurent Brossoit and Connor Hellebuyck have NHL starts.

Brossoit started for Edmonton April 9th, 2015 vs San Jose, and Hellebuyck started for Winnipeg November 27th 2015 vs Minnesota.

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
Congrats on the site rebranding!

Gump Worsley was injured in the North Stars' game on March 12, 1972, replaced by Gilles Gilbert. Cesare Maniago had previously been injured (and didn't return until much later in March).

Gilbert played on March 14th, and Worsley returned on the 16th. Gump's injury was a nose injury - it's possible that he backed up Gilbert on the 14th, but if he didn't, do we know who may have?

member 83027

Scott Roche was recalled by Blues in somewhere between 15.-17. of february in 1999. Blues where having some injury troubles, but don´t know anything else.

I did not see any responses to this....

Per Winnipeg Free Press he was called up on Feb 14.

Per Lowell Sun & several others on February 19, 1999 he was assigned back to Worcester

The interesting thing is in the St Louis Post Dispatch on Feb 17th it says.....General manager Larry Pleau said the Blues probably would call up goaltender Scott Roche to work out with the team today.

He was needed after Rich Parent suffered ruptured testicle on shot in pre game warmup on the 13th & McLennan took a shot off the ching from Donald Brashear on the 15th and missed the 3rd period. Brent Johnson made his NHL debut in relief at the start of the 3rd period.

Not so sure Roche ever dressed backup as McLennan was able to play on the 18th. I assume Johnson was the backup for that game.

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
Jim Baxter Red Wings 1979 February 25

Detroit Free Press
The Red Wings recalled goaltender Jim Baxter on Friday from the International Hockey League to serve as a back-up for Saturday's game against the New York Islanders. Baxter will fill in for goalie Jim Rutherford, who was called home to Beeton, Ontario, because of the death of his 16-year-old sister, Caroline.
:(

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
Couple of older ones where I haven´t been able to find anykind of confirmation.

Wayne Bell was called up in April 4 1972 "by the injury plagued New York Rangers". I believe it was Giacomin who was suffering from injuries. But IIRC Giacomin played so I don´t know if Bell dressed. But I guess its possible.

Other one is more interesting. Harold "Boat" Hurley, goalie of the 1960 olympic squad.

In one interview from 1972 there is this bit.

... George Armstrong and Danny Lewicki, who went on to the National Hockey League something Hurley didn't do. He did fill in as backup goalie for Glenn Hall of Chicago Black Hawks a few years ago and played a few games for Buffalo Bisons of the American League on an emergency basis, but as for a professional career: "I never was interested. I always had a good job."

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
Tried to find additional information on Hurleys case. This could be from the time before the "Two goalie rule". Blackhawks had a decent depth on goalies and I couldn´t with quick overall look found any potential spots where he could have been Halls backup.

Apparently Bob Sneddon was Blackhawks backup for DeJordy for about 3 weeks in 66-67 season, but he doesn´t count. He played handfull of games for Seals about five years later. There is actually quite many of these goalies who were "backups only" for some other team.

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
In 1942 NHL provided spare goalies to playoff series. Apparently those were selected by Frank Calder.

The Milwaukee Journal - Mar 20, 1942
http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1499&dat=19420320&id=P-8ZA

As for Perras he was on Maroons property from 1935 to 1937 and later long period (1940-1946) with Detroit, but never played a game in NHL...

Probably doesn´t meet the requirements, but found a bit more about this Playoff series backup goalie thing.

Claude Bourque who was spare goalie of the Rangers-Maple Leafs series was actually on Rangers bench.

New York Sun March 23, 1942
...Sitting on the Ranger bench, the spare goalie for this series, was Claude Bourque, who once manned the nets for the Canadiens... But he wasn´t needed.

Now if Perras was sitting on Red Wings bench he kind of qualifies. I found that he was Red Wings spare in several playoff runs. (All from Detroit Free Press)

22 Mar 1941
...wings will take one extra player Goalie Floyd Perras to New York just for insurance in case something should happen to Johnny Mowers.
5 Apr 1941
...Floyd Perras, the goalie from Omaha, also is making the trip...

18 Mar 1942
Red Wings call up Giesebrecht and Goalie Perras to prepare for Stanley Cup playoffs...

20 Aug 1946
Perras started last season with Indianapolis but was put out of action by an injury. After recovering, he joined the Wings and served as the Detroit spare goalie

iamjs

Oct 1, 2008
you can probably remove Connor Hellebuyck from the list as he made quite a few appearances this year, but you can probably add Nathan Schoenfeld after tonight.

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
First weakish one. Another tragic one.

Michel Dufour Quebec Nordigues 83-84 (first game)

UPI Sept. 28, 1983
Filion also said goaltender Michel Dufour had been called up from Fredericton to replace back-up goalie Clint Malarchuk, who has left the team temporarily because of a death in his family.

Using Hockeygoalies.org Quebec had first game in 4. of october. Bouchard played in that one. But I guess it´s unlikely that Dufour would have still been with team.

http://hockeygoalies.org/bio/nhl/logs/QUE1983.html

Then a one that I haven´t heard. Chicagos defenceman Dick Redmond was designated backup. Only time in NHL history that backup goalie has scored in game? :)

(Full story in link)
Cihicago Triibune Dec. 27, 1976
And Esposito made it less complicated by not getting hurt. You see, about the time that Dumas was being sidelined, Gilles Villemure was being snowbound in New York, where he spent Christmas Day with the family. Ergo, the team that usually has one too many goalies had one too few.

NATIONAL League rules stipulate that a club must dress two goalies for a game, but in emergency situations such as the one faced by Chicago, there is an out. Munson Campbell, president of the Rockies, permitted the Hawks to designate one of their players as a substitute goalie, and so did NHL President Clarence Campbell.

That volunteer was Dick Redmond, who has played all five other positions this season and said he was willing, if not ready, to try six.

"If Esposito had been hurt, they´d have had to use him," said Referee Charlie Banfield. "There is a rule that says the goalie must leave the game until the next whistle for equipment repairs, but if that had happened here, we would have had to use discretion,"

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
Other one is more interesting. Harold "Boat" Hurley, goalie of the 1960 olympic squad.

Probably found that game where Hurley was Hawks "backup". As I predicted it was before the two-goalie rule. So it most likely doesn´t count because he unlikely dressed.

Buffalo Courier-Express April, 3 1963
Goalie Denis Dejordy, recalled by the parent Chicago Black Hawks as a stand-by for the Stanley Cup playoffs, will rejoin the Bisons Friday at Baltimore. Boat Hurley, who steered the Bisons to a 4-1 win over Hershey March 3 as a replacement for DeJordy, will accompany the Bisons. Hurley will make the trip in case DeJordy is grounded. Hurley will join the Black Hawks Sunday in Detroit as Glenn Hall´s stand-by...

Benchwarmers

Oct 27, 2013
New update March 2016. Goalies who made their NHL debuts include Binnington, Brossoit, Copley, Gibson and Hellebuyck. New backup goalies added to the list are Altshuller, Shoenfeld, Dell, Coreau and oldie Jim Baxter.

Congrats on the site rebranding!

Thanks! Working on adding a bunch more stuff related to NHL backups. Working on a history page to include all the great vintage backup goalie stories in one place. Almost done of a page that lists possible 2015/16 emergency backups should a team need one. Some NHL teams have a designated list of local goalies who are always on call for the job while others mostly rely on their goalie coaches to fill in if necessary. Finally, I've been working on a page of 'close calls' including the likes of Floyd Whitney. These are goalies who were ready to be backups but never signed a contract, mostly remaining hidden in the dressing room.

Jim Baxter Red Wings 1979 February 25

Detroit Free Press

:(

Great find on Baxter!

Apparently Bob Sneddon was Blackhawks backup for DeJordy for about 3 weeks in 66-67 season, but he doesn´t count. He played handfull of games for Seals about five years later. There is actually quite many of these goalies who were "backups only" for some other team.

Stay tuned for a new thread later today or tomorrow. I have a big list of NHL goalies who were "backups only" for another NHL team. Have been meaning to posting it as I'd like to see what people like you can add to it. I'm sure there are a number of guys I've missed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad