NHL Goalies - Backups Only, Looking for Help

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
You'll like something that I'm putting together in the background right now for the site - it will list each team's games (and result), and then left to right, all of the team's goaltenders will be listed, so that you can see who started each game and how they did.

Fairly simple idea, but I'm looking forward to it primarily for things like you describe (finding hidden injuries, things like that). At the moment, I'm trying to wrap up game logs for 1975-76, 1976-77, and 1977-78, and that's high on my list after that.

Jim Shaw's a good candidate - certainly one of Myre and Bouchard had to miss a game at one point (as a backup); I'll do a deep dive when I get to the Flames' earlier seasons and see what I can find. Wish there were some good Atlanta dailies online for free.

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
You'll like something that I'm putting together in the background right now for the site - it will list each team's games (and result), and then left to right, all of the team's goaltenders will be listed, so that you can see who started each game and how they did.

Fairly simple idea, but I'm looking forward to it primarily for things like you describe (finding hidden injuries, things like that). At the moment, I'm trying to wrap up game logs for 1975-76, 1976-77, and 1977-78, and that's high on my list after that.

Looking forward to it :)

Any how, Joe Junkin only played a total of 8 minutes. maybe he can get an Honorable Mention:

http://goaliesarchive.com/bruins/indexjunkin.html

I checked the background on this. Eddie Johnston suffered severe concussion in pre game warmup in oct 31. He returned in late december. Junkin played his 8 minutes in dec 14. But... Junkin was called up in dec 3. Prior to that Cheevers backup was Colin McCormick. So he was actually backup for longer period than Junkin (edit. there are several mentionings about him serving as backup during that period). Pierre Sigman was also called to tryout in late november, but I doubt that he was backup at any point.

--------
Also I might have found one early North Stars backup. Going to send it as PM later in this week when I have more time.

Last edited:

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
Here's one that's not on the list (at least on your website), and I can't figure out who it's supposed to be.

See October 28, 1976 here:
http://penguins.nhl.com/v2/ext/media/scoresheets/regular_season/1976-77.pdf

(thanks, reckoning!)

Backing up Parent is a goaltender named "Wilson" (wearing #30). I went through every Wilson in my database, and none line up. Then, I went through every Wilson in HockeyDB, and none line up.

Any guesses as to whom it was? Gary Inness wore #30 for the Flyers that year; I suppose it could be a typo - especially since the Penguins *did* have a Wilson in net.

Last edited:

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
Another one from that same PDF above (and also not on the website) - this one could be plausible (and I think it's enough evidence to add on my site, at least).

April 2, 1977 - the Red Wings dressed a Frawley #30. Mike Frawley played with the Kansas City Red Wings that season, so there's some hint that he was Detroit property. Frawley also backed up the next night, oddly enough switching to #31.

It also looks like Johnson (I'm presuming Bob Johnson) started backing up for Pittsburgh in this game, continuing through the playoffs.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
April 2, 1977 - the Red Wings dressed a Frawley #30. Mike Frawley played with the Kansas City Red Wings that season, so there's some hint that he was Detroit property. Frawley also backed up the next night, oddly enough switching to #31.

Actually, I think you'll find that Mike Frawley was a call up from deeper than that after Giacomin went down with a knee injury in late March 77, backing up Jimmy Rutherford. Frawley was indeed Red Wings property but in 76/77 played for the Campblleton Tigers of the New Brunswick Senior League (in fact continued playing for them thereafter until 1989). In 75/76 he'd played a bit for Kalamazoo of the IHL, then in 77/78 played 15 games for KC of the CHL, then in 78/79 he appeared in 2 games for the New Brunswick Hawks of the AHL.... Has a younger brother Dan, who did enjoy a lengthy career in the NHL & Minors. Played for Chicago before joining the Penguins. Dan Frawley was the Captain in Pittsburgh, handing off the 'C' to Mario Lemieux upon his arrival.

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
Those gamesheets are great find.

February 28, 1973 The Winona Daily News
The North Stars have called up goalie Cal Hammond from heir Saginaw farm team to serve as a backup to Cesare Maniago and replace Gilles Gilbert...

And indeed looking from those Cal Hammond was North Stars backup atleast in March 4. and 7. 1973 games against Penguins.

Also Steve Rexe was Kings backup in Jan 16 1974 game against Penguins. So Rexe is sure case now.

Edit. I keep on writing Penguins as Penquins :)

Last edited:

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
Couple of names from those scoresheets. Don´t know the circumstances.

November 16 1978 Rick Martens Vancouver Canucks
October 21 1987 Dan Delianedis New Jersey Devils
November 21 1987 Rick Kosti Calgary Flames

I guess Delianedis was bit surprising at first. But it was the year when Terreri and Burke were with their national teams in olympic projects and McLean was just traded in offseason.

Martens another New Westminster Bruins goalie as Canucks backup (though it isn´t sure if Blaine Peterson was backup in previous year).

Rick Kosti was also third goaltender of Team Canada in Calgary olympics.

Last edited:

iamjs

Oct 1, 2008
Here's one that's not on the list (at least on your website), and I can't figure out who it's supposed to be.

See October 28, 1976 here:
http://penguins.nhl.com/v2/ext/media/scoresheets/regular_season/1976-77.pdf

(thanks, reckoning!)

Backing up Parent is a goaltender named "Wilson" (wearing #30). I went through every Wilson in my database, and none line up. Then, I went through every Wilson in HockeyDB, and none line up.

Any guesses as to whom it was? Gary Inness wore #30 for the Flyers that year; I suppose it could be a typo - especially since the Penguins *did* have a Wilson in net.

Flyershistory.com is listing Gary Inness as the goaltender wearing #30 for that game, and the only callup at that point of the season would be Jerome Mrazek per ProSportsTransactions.

I don't want to call it a typo without being 100% sure though.

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
Maybe it was Lefty Wilson :).

Didn´t find any Wilsons. And Mrazek really seemed to be first in line for callup (as iamjs already noted). Parent had some injury problems so he was recalled early in the season.

Those scoresheets weren´t perfect. I think I have seen atleast 5 different ways to write Gilles Villemure wrong. Or atleast I haven´t ever heard of Villoques :). Villemurd was the most common.

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
Yeah, I'm leaning towards Inness there - it's really all that makes sense. Given that the NHL statistical shop was basically a one-man operation at the time, the error rate is surprisingly low - kudos to Ron Andrews for that.

Sanf, I recognize some of the names you mention from Sebastien Tremblay's book (as known backups), although I don't have it with me at the moment.

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
Sanf, I recognize some of the names you mention from Sebastien Tremblay's book (as known backups), although I don't have it with me at the moment.

Rick Kosti was the only one that I had heard before. Have to admit that I haven´t heard of that book before. I only have few books from NA. Seems like must buy. :) Atleast from what I read about his interview (made by Joe Pelletier). I do like stats and equipments, but personally I am most interested in their career paths and behind career stories.

Interistingly he mentions that there was Seals backup that never visited ice. My guess would be Ray Martyniuk, but never seen anything sure. Marcel Paille was briefly affiliated with Seals and played even in preseason game, but he wouldn´t fit this category

Benchwarmers

Oct 27, 2013
I'm Back

Finally found some free time to tackle all these great leads. THANKS SO MUCH for all the great help here, a bunch of sweet leads. Those Penguins score sheets are golden. Over the next couple weeks I'll be adding a few more bios and putting together a big post on where I am with a bunch of "maybes."

Sanf, here is an example of what I can find thanks to that one lead you gave with Dan Delianedis on that Penguins scoresheet. Turns out he was recalled for 4 NHL games as a Devils backup, here's the process on how I came to that conclusion:

The Devils started the 1987/88 season with Bob Sauve and Alain Chevrier. October 10th, Bob Sauve injured his shoulder in the 2nd period and was replaced by Chevrier. Bob Sauve sat out with a shoulder injury until October 31st.

Here are the games Alain Chevrier played while Sauve was injured.

Oct. 14 - Billington is backup. Newspaper article confirms he dressed as backup for this game.
16 - Delianedis has to be New Jersey's backup because Billington was in net for the the Utica Devils on this date. I was also able to find a newspaper article confirming Delianedis was excited to be recalled for his first taste of the NHL against the Montreal Canadiens.
17 - Delianedis has to be New Jersey's backup because Billington started an AHL game for Utica on this exact date.
21 - Delianedis is confirmed thanks to the Pittsburgh Penguins scoresheets.
23 - Delianedis because newspaper article confirms Billington started AHL game on this day.
24 - Billington because Newspapers confirm that Delianedis got his first AHL home game start on this day. Also confirmed that Billington had been recalled and Delianedis recalled.
27 - Billington

On October 30th Craig Billington was reassigned to the AHL. And for October 31st the Devils are back to Sauve and Chevrier and the AHL's Utica Devils are back to Billington and Delianedis. It can also be noted that goalie Peter Maro was signed as an emergency backup goalie for the Utica Devils for the month of October 1987 while they were short handed with New Jersey's call ups.

This is way off topic but Peter Maro is an interesting case. He was a college goalie of little note before signing with the Devils. He attended the New York Rangers training camp in 1987 and was signed by Utica shortly after on an emergency basis. After that his career seems to be over. He becomes an orthodontist and falls of the face of pro hockey until 2008/2009. As a 43 year old he returned to pro hockey with the Hudson Valley Bears of the EPHL. The New York Times even wrote an article about him.

Benchwarmers

Oct 27, 2013
Thanks to all the help here I've been able to confirm nine new goalies:

Dan Delianedis - 1987/88 New Jersey Devils
Cal Hammond - 1972/73 Minnesota North Stars
Rick Kosti - 1987/88 Calgary Flames
Rick Martens - 1978/79 Vancouver Canucks
Ray Martynuik - 1971/72 California Golden Seals
Colin McCormick - 1968/69 Boston Bruins
Jim Ralph - 1982/83 Chicago Blackhawks
Steve Rexe - 1973/74 Los Angeles Kings
Mickey Walsh - 1970/71 Chicago Blackhawks

I've updated the original post with a complete list, alphabetical and by team, of all 145 goalies uncovered.

I'm going to type up and post the notes I have on some goalies I think appeared as backup but I've hit dead ends in terms of research:

Very likely:
Chuck Goddard - March 1968 with Minnesota North Stars. A couple article indicated he served as a backup goalie with both the North Stars and Montreal Canadiens.
Roy Schultz - I have very good reason to believe he dressed a backup goalie for the Bruins on December 10, 1980 while Bruins played the Nordiques in Quebec. I know he was with the team around this period because Jim Craig attended his uncles funeral. I'm unable to confirm if Craig was able to join the team in Quebec on time for the game. Craig did start their December 11th game in Boston.
Ed Walsh (I think I'm actually ready to add this one to the list, working on a bio)

Possible:
Yannick Degrace - 1991/92 Philly Flyers - He may have dressed as a backup to Dominic Roussel on October 24th or 25th, 1991.
Blaine Peterson - This is one I'd like to get some help with. I have an article that indicates he dressed for several NHL games. I have a program from December 11, 1976 that lists him on the roster along with goalies Curt Ridley and Cesare Maniago. No indication of which of the three dressed.
Jason Fitzsimmons - 1991/92 Vancouver Canucks
Luc Guenette - 1985/86 Quebec Nordiques
Jim Shaw - Chicago Blackhawks
Bob Vroman - 1972 LA Kings

Weak:
Maurice Barrette - 1977/78 Montreal Canadiens
Randy Jaycock - 1989/90 Calgary Flames
David Schill - Toronto Maple Leafs
Rich Sirois - 1981/82 St. Louis Blues
Marty Wakelyn - 1987/88 New York Islanders

iamjs

Oct 1, 2008
Weak:
Maurice Barrette - 1977/78 Montreal Canadiens
Randy Jaycock - 1989/90 Calgary Flames
David Schill - Toronto Maple Leafs
Rich Sirois - 1981/82 St. Louis Blues
Marty Wakelyn - 1987/88 New York Islanders

The only thing I can find on Barrette was that he was recalled during the '78 playoffs as a precaution. I cant find any scoresheets from the time he was recalled.

iamjs

Oct 1, 2008
Yannick Degrace looks very likely. Would like to see a score sheet, but I'm going 80% that he dressed.

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/19...al-centre-washington-capitals-alex-delvecchio

Goalie Yanick Degrace, a Philadelphia Flyers farmhand, went Fiset one better, dressing in three different leagues in one week. Degrace was recalled from the Hull Olympiques of the Quebec Major Junior League because injuries left the Flyers without a backup goalie. After one game he was shuffled to the Hershey Bears, the Flyers' AHL affiliate, which was in need of an emergency goaltender.

Another article talking about Degrace's potential recall: http://articles.philly.com/1991-10-23/sports/25815052_1_flyers-tie-puck-head-coach-paul-holmgren

Sad sidenote to Degrace: he is from the same hometown as Canucks' draft pick Luc Bourdon. Degrace, like Bourdon, passed away due to a motor vehicle accident.

Benchwarmers

Oct 27, 2013
Yannick Degrace looks very likely. Would like to see a score sheet, but I'm going 80% that he dressed.

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/19...al-centre-washington-capitals-alex-delvecchio

Another article talking about Degrace's potential recall: http://articles.philly.com/1991-10-23/sports/25815052_1_flyers-tie-puck-head-coach-paul-holmgren

Sad sidenote to Degrace: he is from the same hometown as Canucks' draft pick Luc Bourdon. Degrace, like Bourdon, passed away due to a motor vehicle accident.

Yup, thats the same article I have for Degrace. The biggest red flag I have for him, and the reason why I'm hesitant to add him without a score sheet, is because it seems there was a Philadelphia Flyers fan who went through their score sheets (I wish I had access!) and noted all their 'backup only' goalies, Degrace is not mentioned. Here's the link and whoever wrote it, uncovered some toughies who I otherwise would not have been able to confirm as Flyers goalies. It seems too comprehensive to miss a guy like Degrace. That being said, it is %100 possible that Degrace was simply missed in this case.

iamjs

Oct 1, 2008
Poor Yanick Degrace. He was recalled from Hull of the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League when injuries left Hershey, the Flyers' affiliate in the American Hockey League, in need of an emergency goalie for a game against Cape Breton on Oct. 27.

Degrace, 20, made 48 saves in a 3-3 tie but was returned to Hull when the Flyers sent Dominic Roussel to Hershey on Oct. 28.

http://articles.philly.com/1991-11-09/sports/25768967_1_steve-kasper-rod-brind-amour-paul-holmgren

So one article says he had three stops (including the Flyers), and this later article makes it seem like he never made it to Philly and went right to Hershey.
shrug.gif

If Degrace was dressed, it would have more than likely been for the 10/25/91 game vs the Jets.

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
The Montreal Gazette notes that the Flyers optioned Bobby Taylor to Richmond (AHL) on October 25, 1973. Taylor did play eleven games for Richmond that season, which does suggest the question - who was backing up Parent during that time? The Gazette doesn't say. Was it Belhumeur? Or was it a career backup?

Only Parent and Taylor played for the Flyers in 1973-74.

Last edited:

stephenlaroche

Mar 20, 2015
Found this piece on Schill.

http://www.therecord.com/living-story/5548208--nhl-idol-game-inspired-by-jakob-s-memory/

Some holes in the story as to referring to a 1991 game against the Devils as being the game where he backed up Fuhr since the two teams did not meet that season until Jan/Feb 1992.

However, the reference to Gilmour taking him to dinner lines up after the big deal with the Flames and Leafs that brought him there. Clark missed nearly half the season, but I do think he was back in the lineup by the time Schill was on the bench.

A friend of mine knew Schill then and remembers seeing him on the Toronto bench.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
The Montreal Gazette notes that the Flyers optioned Bobby Taylor to Richmond (AHL) on October 25, 1973. Taylor did play eleven games for Richmond that season, which does suggest the question - who was backing up Parent during that time? The Gazette doesn't say. Was it Belhumeur? Or was it a career backup?

Only Parent and Taylor played for the Flyers in 1973-74.

Michael Belhumeur was promoted when Taylor was sent to the AHL. It was designed at the time for slightly less than a month. Taylor then rejoined the team around mid-November.

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
Decided to try my luck and search some leads, but this is becoming very hard.

Nov. 1, 1987
Grant Fuhr had injury in a game.

UPI
...Edmonton goalie Grant Fuhr left at 5:02 of the second period with an injury to his left shoulder and left wrist....

...To replace Fuhr, the Oilers recalled goaltender David Roche from Nova Scotia of the American Hockey League...

But actually Fuhr did not miss any games so I don´t know if Roche was send back or did he stay with Oilers.

Other is weak also...

Capitals recalled Jim Bedard because Wolfe and Inness were suffering minor injuries.

The Washington Post
March 7, 1979
While three members of the Washington Capitals' emergency corps returned to Hershey yesterday with memories of a job well done, goaltender Jim Bedard and left wing Gary Rissling remained with the parent club.

Bedard was the No. 1 star Monday night, stopping 25 Montreal shots as the Capitals, on home ice, battled the Canadiens to a 2-2 tie. With Gary Inness and Bernie Wolfe hobbled by minor leg injuries, Bedard is a good bet to be in the nets Saturday night when the Capitals return to action at Capital Centre against St. Louis....

...Goaltender Rollie Boutin was summoned from Port Huron to take Bedard's place....

So Boutin wasn´t Bedards backup as he was elsewhere. But it´s possible that despite minor injuries either Wolfe or Inness could have been backup (hobbled is unknown word for me :)). Dale Rideout was one Capitals depth goaltender at the time. They had high hopes with him at some point.

Side note, but it´s interesting that Bedard couldn´t take place in NHL. He showed promises at very young age. One of my favourite goalies in Finland when I was kid.

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
Blaine Peterson - This is one I'd like to get some help with. I have an article that indicates he dressed for several NHL games. I have a program from December 11, 1976 that lists him on the roster along with goalies Curt Ridley and Cesare Maniago. No indication of which of the three dressed.

Old Yahoo discussion has one post from 2003 where

...about a year ago I had a couple of posts of how the Canucks had a non-NHL kid as a back-up in 1976 (Blaine Peterson, who was an over-age goalie for New Westminster Bruins of the WCHL at the time, I think it was Dec 1 1976 at home to Chicago)...

He is atleast remembering the day wrong. Every contemporary source say that Maniago was suffering from injuries. From december 23. I can find article which states that Maniago was out for nearly a month. And Ridley was getting every start in Canucks goal.

From the same poster I got lead that Wayne Doll who very likely was Bruins backup in 1967-1968

The Telegraph - Dec 23, 1967

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
Bit stronger one this time. Don Beaupre got 6 games suspension for hitting Ric Seiling to head with his stick.

NY Herald Statesman? Nov 17, 1984
...North Stars General Manager Lou Nanne said Loren Molleken will be called up from the team's Springfield, Mass., farm club as a backup goalie...

edit. Melanson was traded to North Stars at Nov 19 so if Molleken was backup it was Nov 17 game against Detroit.

Other is from Yahoo Hockey History Group. Original source is December 18, 1970 The Hockey News

But this might be already debunked?

PHILADELPHIA--Billy Woodyatt, goalkeeper, recalled from Salem of EHL
to act as emergency standby and later returned to Salem

SALEM--Bill Woodyatt, replacing Jim Letcher (broken toe) in nets also
was backup goalie for one game for Philly Flyers...Woodyatt had
shutout at Jacksonville.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad