NHL Goalies - Backups Only, Looking for Help

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
You have Joe Ironstone & Phil Stein in Toronto? Bob Ring & Joe Junken in Boston? 1GP ea. :D

Ironstone sort of could be answer to the other thread. He was Senators property atleast for one season and IIRC he even took part to one brawl while being backup. After Benedict left to Maroons Ottawa was considered to going on that season with Ironstone. Then they acquired Connell and Ironstone was left as "backup".

Last edited:

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
It was also the time when NHL teams could recall a junior player on an emergency basis

I believe that Wregget was called from WHL too in 1983-1984 season.

Couldn´t find anything about Appleby either. Toronto seemed to lost a lot with outrageous numbers during that period :). Can you remember who was the starting goalie in that game?

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
Couldn´t find anything about McConnell either, but while searching it...

Guy DeNoncourt Jersey Knights

1973-1974
December 19 1973
At the same time, Jersey sent netminder Guy DeNoncourt back to Syracuse and also assigned goalie Tom (Jimmy?) McLeod to the Blazers.
Blazers officials said the move was precipitated when McLeod, Jersey´s No. 2 goalie, had to leave the team because illness in the family. DeNoncourt, Syracuse´s third-string backstop for much of the season, had served as the Knights´ backup for the last 11 games.

Last edited:

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
Don´t have good enough source from Vancouver to dig deeper to McConnells claim. Wayne Wood played for Blazer only in 1974-1975. Article from November 6. mentions that Wayne Wood debuted in game against Cougars in Nov 5. and he recently came from Tulsa. Don´t know who was Blazers backup for first month. McLeod and Wood were the only two goalies to play for Blazers that season.

Benchwarmers

Oct 27, 2013
Don´t have good enough source from Vancouver to dig deeper to McConnells claim. Wayne Wood played for Blazer only in 1974-1975. Article from November 6. mentions that Wayne Wood debuted in game against Cougars in Nov 5. and he recently came from Tulsa. Don´t know who was Blazers backup for first month. McLeod and Wood were the only two goalies to play for Blazers that season.

Pete Donnelly was the third goalie on the Blazers. He played a bunch for the 1973/74 team but in 1974/75 he was only used in a backup role. Here's a program from Nov. 11, 1974 listed on ebay that list Wood, McLeod and Donnelly as the Blazers goalies.

Benchwarmers

Oct 27, 2013
I have a new goalie to add to the mix by the name of Darren Beals. He had a short pro career but may have been briefly recalled to the Edmonton Oilers. It would also make Beals one of only a dozen black goalies to appear in the NHL.

From Jan. 20, 1987 Toronto Star.
"Meanwhile, Edmonton Oilers called up goalie Darrin Beals of the Kitchener Rangers to fill in for Grant Fuhr, who was injured in a collision involving Leafs' Mirko Frycer in Saturday's 7-4 Oilers win."

But I can't find anything else from the period to back it up.

I did find an article from 2013 talking about NHL players from Beals' area. He's mentioned: “Darren Beals, I think dressed for a few games.”

Edit: Found another article that seems to prove Beals appeared in the NHL.
Jan. 20, 1987 Globe and Mail.
X-rays done on Oiler goalie Grant Fuhr in Edmonton showed no serious injuries as the result of a collision with a goalpost in Toronto on Saturday night. He will rejoin the club Friday. . . . Darren Beals, called up as temporary Oiler backup man, has returned to the junior Kitchener Rangers, who have no second goalie available. . . . Lanky goalie Daryl Reaugh has been called up from the Nova Scotia Oilers for Edmonton's Wednesday night game in Winnipeg. . . .

The Timeline:
Sat. Jan. 17 - Oilers vs Maple Leafs. Fuhr starts game but is replaced by Moog after he gets injured.
Sun. Jan. 18 - Oilers vs Sabres. Moog plays game and Darren Beals serves as his backup.
Wed. Jan 21 - Oilers vs Jets. Moog plays game and Darryl Reaugh serves as his backup.

Last edited:

Benchwarmers

Oct 27, 2013
Honourable Mentions

I had previously mentioned that I was keeping a list of 'honourable mentions.' Finally got around to putting it all together.

In my criteria for being an NHL backup goalie one has to:
1 Sign an NHL contract (amateur, tryout or pro)
2 Be dressed and ready to play
3 Be on sitting on the bench, game ready
There are goaltenders that have gotten close but have not satisfied every criterion. This is a list of those goalies, which were close to the NHL but not close enough to be classified as an NHL backup.

Brett Willows

October 17, 2013 The Toronto Maple Leafs were playing the Carolina Hurricanes. Early into game James Reimer was injured and had to leave. Backup goalie Jonathan Bernier took over his spot in net but the Leafs were sent looking for a new substitute goalie incase anything happened to Bernier. The Leafs called the University of Toronto and were directed to their third string netminder, Brett Willows. Ironically, Willows is a Canadiens fan and was sporting a Habs ball cap when the Leafs called. He still happily answered Toronto's request. "At that point I blacked out," said Willows. "It all seemed not real. We were mostly laughing in the truck (on the way to the rink). It was still relatively early in the game. What if something happened to Bernier and I got thrown in there?" When it was determined that James Reimer couldn't return to the bench as the backup Willows was directed to put on his gear, including a brand new Toronto Maple Leafs jersey, #82 with his name no the back. Willows signed and emergency tryout contract but it wasn't filed with the league so he couldn't sit on the bench as the official backup. Had Bernier been injured, however, they would have formalized the deal and Willows would have played. "I wasn't expecting any of this to happen," said Willows. "When Twitter was blowing up and all the texts were coming in, my phone only had a 15 per-cent charge on it, so it died really quick. I couldn't phone my parents. Hopefully they don't hold it against me." (1) (2)

Santino Vasquez

December 17, 2015 the New York Rangers lost goalie Antti Raanta to injury early into a game against the Minnesota Wild. Henrik Lundqvist, who was suppose to have the night off, played the rest of the game but the Rangers wanted some insurance incase Lundqvist got injured. Santino Vasquez was the local emergency goalie in Minnesota so the Rangers gave him a call. "I grabbed my chest protector and helmet off the radiator, stuffed them in my bag, threw on one of my suits, tossed my bag in the trunk of my car and hit the road." said Vasquez. "I only live about two miles over the bridge from the Xcel Center, so it was maybe 10 or 12 minutes before I was pulling into the players’ parking lot. The valet guys— Rick and Joe — are buddies of mine. We used to play softball together. So when Rick and Joe saw me, they immediately started giving me crap, like, 'What are you doing here?,'" laughed Vasquez. "Just across from the visitors locker room at the Xcel Center, there’s a small utility locker room. That’s where they took me. Inside, there was a TV. The game was on. They were two minutes into the second period when I got there. Hank was in net. A guy poked his head into the room and said, “Could you get your stuff on, just in case?” So I got my bottoms on and went through my normal pregame stretches. I didn’t know what was going to happen next — if I was going to the Rangers bench or not, if I was going to get on the ice or not." Vasquez was a minor celebrity when the Twitter world got hold of his situation. On top of the story, he took home a Rangers jersey with his name on the back and the usual $500 paid to emergency goalies. "I packed my stuff up and put on my suit, and when the game ended, a few of the guys come off the ice and into the locker room to stretch out," said Vasquez. "They thanked me again for coming, and I wished them luck at their next game in Winnipeg. I walked out to the parking lot and told Rick and Joe how it all went down." (3)

Scott McKay

March 29, 2012 Toronto Maple Leafs goalie Jonas Gustavsson suffered a knee injury during a pre-game warmup. Jussi Rynnas was thrown into his first NHL start against the Philadelphia Flyers as Gustavsson was unable to play. With their AHL affiliate out of town, the Leafs turned to Scott McKay, a local 40-year old who used to practice with the Leafs when he was their equipment manager. When the Leafs called him McKay was at his home cooking supper for his two young children. "You dream about something like that happening," said McKay, "but you never think its going to." McKay rushed to the rink, signed an amateur try out contract with Toronto, and put on all of his equipment, including a #73 Toronto Maple Leafs jersey with his name on it. Jonas Gustavsson sat on the bench and acted as the Leafs backup. In reality, Gustavsson couldn't play and if something happened to Rynnas, McKay was the insurance policy. The Leafs ended up losing the game 7-1 with Rynnas playing the entire game. "The whole thing was very surreal and pretty darned cool," said McKay. (4)

Ian Clark

December 23, 2013 Columbus Blue Jackets goalie Curtis McElhinney was injured during the pre-game warmups. Backup Mike McKenna played that days contest against the Carolina Hurricanes but McElhinney wouldn't have been able to take over if McKenna were to get injured. Clark, the Blue Jackets goalie coach, was signed to a player tryout agreement as insurance. Columbus ended up winning the game 4-3 with McKenna playing the whole game and McElhinney not having to move from his post as the injured backup. Although Clark ultimately wasn't needed, the Blue Jackets thanked him by having the contract framed for him. (5)

Paul Deutsch

November 23, 2011 the Minnesota Wild were facing off against the Nashville Predators. Early that day Wild goalie Niklas Backstrom left the team to be with his wife as she gave birth to the couple's first child. The Wild were left with a single goalie, Josh Harding, for that night's game. Minnesota recalled AHL goalie Matt Hackett from their affiliate in Houston but with Thanksgiving time travel, the Wild weren't sure if Hackett would make it to the arena in time for the game. Enter old local goaltender Paul Deutsch, who was friends with Wild goalie coach Bob Mason. Wearing jeans, a hoodie and steel toe work boots, the 51 year old was an usual sight entering the Wild dressing room. "Here they were valet parking my minivan," joked Deutsch. "There is a Range Rover in front of me and an Audi behind me and here I've got my four-cylinder minivan with the company logo on the side. The valet guys were dying laughing." Wild GM Chuck Fletcher had Deutsch sign an amateur contract and Deutsch was given a Wild jersey #33 with his name on the back. As game time drew near there was still no sign of Hackett so Deutsch dressed and took part in the pre-game warmup. Unfortunately for Deutsch, Hackett made it just in time for the first period and Deutsch watched the game from the press box. He was still given $500, got to keep his jersey and the Wild framed his contract. (6)

Pavel Nestak

January 5, 1999 a rash of injuries forced the Calgary Flames to call in an unknown Czech goalie by the name of Pavel Nestak from the Johnstown Chiefs of the ECHL. Calgary had recalled a more experienced goalie in Igor Karpenko from the AHL but they weren't sure if he'd arrive in time for the game. Karpenko was in Saint John, New Brunswick while Nestak was only an hour drive from Pittsburgh, where the Flames were playing the Penguins. Nestak was initially refused entry to the Flames dressing room because nobody knew who he was. Things didn't get much better for the nervous Nestak from there. Assistant coach Rick Preston took him into the dressing to introduce Nestak to the team. "Guys," said Preston, "I'd like you to meet our new goaltender...." Preston stopped, turned to Nestak and asked, "Uh, sorry, but what did you say your name was again?" Nestak wore #34, took the warmup, but retreated to the dressing for the rest of the game after Igor Karpenko arrived in time for the first period. (7)

Floyd Whitney

Dec 21, 1999 Floyd Whitney nearly made NHL history as the league's oldest rookie. A local police officer and father of NHL great Ray Whitney, Floyd Whitney was known to the Oilers because of the many years he had spent as practice goalie with the team. In 1987 and 1988 he was even awarded a Stanley Cup ring by the Oilers to show appreciating for Whitney's work as their practice goalie. At 46, he was about the get the best call of them all from the NHL team. In a game against the Washington Capitals the Oilers lost Bill Ranford to a foot injury during the first period. With only Tommy Salo left to tend goal, and Ranford unable to enter back into the game, the Oilers wanted extra insurance. They called up Whitney, who was in the middle of a little paperwork down the road at his police station. They prepared a contract for Whitney, who didn't sign but would have if Salo was injured. "The Oilers chose not to put Floyd on the bench in fear of the Capitals feeling the team was rubbing in what was a blowout." Whitney put on his goalie gear and watched the last two periods from the dressing room, sporting a new Edmonton Oilers #45 jersey with his name on the back. With just over a minute left in the game Whitney, watching nervously from the dressing room, saw what almost made him the most famous person in Edmonton. Salo went down in a heap, pulling his groin. In discomfort, Salo still managed to play the last bit of the game, not knowing if Whitney was even allowed to relieve him. "He said that if he had known I could have gone in, he would have definitely come out," said Whitney. "When it happened though, I was kind of hopeful. Actually at first when he was down, I thought they were just messing with me." Even though he didn't get to finish the game in net, it was the experience of a lifetime for Whitney. "I was in the game. I was dressed, ready to go. The only thing was I wasn't on the bench. I would have liked to have been on the bench. But it was just an awesome, great night. You know I raced in, I raced to get dressed, I was in the locker room. Afterwards is when it really settled in."
It would have been Whitney's second time as an emergency goalie had he not been watching his son play a junior game out of town in Spokane on February 14, 1990. The Oilers were in a very similar situation and Whitney was their first call. Instead, John Garrett got to fill in. (8)

John Garrett - February 14, 1990 the Edmonton Oilers were already short a goalie with Grant Fuhr recovering from an appendectomy. Playing the Washington Capitals, Oilers' goalie Bill Ranford was injured and so was his replacement, Pokey Reddick. Reddick managed to finish the game but Edmonton was rushing to find someone else if Reddick shouldn't be able to continue at any point. The Oilers made a few calls and finally settled on former NHLer John Garrett, who was working at the game as a broadcaster for Hockey Night In Canada. Garrett, a long time NHL goalie, hadn't played since 1985 and joked that, "they say you're only as good as your last game, but I can't remember mine." The Oilers signed him to a one-game contract but didn't bring him out to the bench. "I got into a pair of Grant Fuhr's skates and had Ranford's equipment all laid out." said Garrett. "I thought it was a fun thing except it was a one-goal game. I started worrying, 'What if Reddick gets hurt and I go in and they score on the first shot on me?’" (9) (10) (11)

Dave Dryden - April 14, 1988 the Detroit Red Wings were playing the Toronto Maple Leafs in game 6 of the Norris Division semi-finals. Goalie Glen Hanlon was injured in game 5. His backup, Greg Stefan, was suffering from the flu so the Red Wings turned to Sam St. Laurent. 10 minutes into the game St. Laurent was injured and the sick Stefan was forced into action. Worried that Stefan wouldn't last the whole game, Detroit management rushed to find another goaltender. General Manager Jim Devellano turned to former NHL goalie Dave Dryden, who was in the stands watching as a Red Wings consultant. "The Rules say it's got to be someone on our reserve list, " said Devellano about the hectic search for a backup goalie. "I'm going to ask Dave Dryden. I'll sign him to a contract right here." Devellano wrote up a contract that would have paid Dryden $2000 for a night's work as the emergency goalie but Stefan held up and there was no need to sign the retired NHL goalie. "It certainly made the evening a little more memorable," said Dryden." (12) (13)

Mike Dunham - January 13, 2009 retired NHL goalie Mike Dunham was nearly forced back into action over two year after playing his last NHL game. When the Islanders lost Joey MacDonald just a few minutes into the game, they were nervous leaving the crease to call-up Yann Danis. Dunham, serving as goalie coach for the Islanders, was asked to warm up between periods. Documents were prepared and New York was ready to sign Dunham should Danis get hurt.

Mike R. Brown

The Bruins AHL farm team in Providence needed a goalie for an afternoon game when starter Hannu Toivonen was injured in practice. There wasn't enough time to fly in the usual call-up, Mike Brown, from the ECHL. The Bruins thus sent their NHL backup, Brian Finley, to Providence for a game. In order to comply with CBA rules, the Bruins, even though unscheduled to play, recalled Brown to their NHL club for a day as a warm body. He was an official member of the Boston Bruins roster from November 12 to 13th, 2006. What makes Brown's stay with the Bruins notable is that he got an NHL rookie card for his short time with the Bruins. Under the rules negotiated by the NHLPA and the hockey card distributors, a player has to play in an NHL game to get a rookie card while a goalie just has to dress as a backup. Upper Deck evidently had their statistics wrong and issued an NHL hockey card for Brown when legally, he was not able to have one.

(1) Luke Fox. "Leafs' emergency backup Willows a Habs fan." Sportsnet. Oct. 18, 2013.
(2) Kevin McGran. "Maple Leafs let U of T goalie Brett Willows' dream come true." Toronto Star. Oct. 18, 2013.
(3) Santino Vasquez. "Help, Is There a Goalie in the House." The Players Tribune. Dec. 21, 2015.
(4) Cynthia Reason. "Hockey fantasy comes true for Toronto man," Etobicoke Guardian, April 3, 2012.
(5) Aaron Portzline. "Blue Jackets Notebook: Plan in place in case of goalie injuries in same game." March 5, 2015.
(6) Johnette Howard. "Paul Deutsch: rags to riches to rags," ESPN. Dec. 1, 2011.
(7) George Johnson. Calgary Herald, Oct. 26, 2002.
(8) Michael Russo. Sun Sentinel. January 2, 2000.
(9) Mike Kiley. "Pro Hockey: the week in review." Chicago Tribune Feb. 18, 1990.
(10) Jim Matheson. "Caps punish Oilers goalies; Reddick, Ranford fall," Edmonton Journal. Feb. 15, 1990.
(11) Jim Matheson. "Hemky's production a let down so far," Edmonton Journal. Oct 17, 2007.
(12) Associated Press. "Dave Dryden almost signed pact as Wings scrambled for goalies," Toronto Star. April 16, 1988.
(13) "Dave Dryden nearly recruited by Wings," The Vancouver Sun. April 18, 1988.

Last edited:

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
Found week ago article where it was mentioned that Islanders had recalled Andre LePage to "watch the game". This was in late 70´s. I didn´t bookmark the article and seem to lost it. Nothing in it said that he was backup and if that was in todays newspaper I would say that he was a in the press box.

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
I would say that this is weak lead, but otherwise interesting. This column that was made during playoff time in 1966 mentions that Gilles Banville was with Montreal because new rule required team to have three goaltenders available for each game? Never heard this rule... Banville was Montreal depth goalie at that point and later one of the goalies in first Philadelphia Flyers camp (with Parent, Favell, Al Millar, Fern Rivard and Claude Cyr).

https://news.google.com/newspapers?id=nhpQAAAAIBAJ&sjid=j1YDAAAAIBAJ&pg=1499%2C2150045

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
I had previously mentioned that I was keeping a list of 'honourable mentions.' Finally got around to putting it all together.

In my criteria for being an NHL backup goalie one has to:
1 Sign an NHL contract (amateur, tryout or pro)
2 Be dressed and ready to play
3 Be on sitting on the bench, game ready
There are goaltenders that have gotten close but have not satisfied every criterion. This is a list of those goalies, which were close to the NHL but not close enough to be classified as an NHL backup.

Add Chris Levesque, who was signed by the Canucks on December 9, 2003 to backup Johan Hedberg and nearly saw action when Hedberg appeared to be hurt.

Little known note about that game is a couple days prior the Canucks had their fan event, with the skills competition and whatnot. One of these was a breakaway challenge, and on one of the attempts Hedberg skated out of his crease to essentially check the shooter, stopping his attempt before he could shoot.

During this game, against the lowly Pittsburgh Penguins (which also saw Naslund score 4 goals, tying a Canucks record, though the team needed overtime to win), Hedberg actually tried this move out again. Only it didn't work well, and thus was the source of his apparent injury and the reason Levesque nearly became an NHL goalie. No one ever makes the connection with the skills competition from earlier, but that is certainly what happened: Hedberg saw it work there, and thought why not try it against the hapless Penguins.

Benchwarmers

Oct 27, 2013
I would say that this is weak lead, but otherwise interesting. This column that was made during playoff time in 1966 mentions that Gilles Banville was with Montreal because new rule required team to have three goaltenders available for each game? Never heard this rule... Banville was Montreal depth goalie at that point and later one of the goalies in first Philadelphia Flyers camp (with Parent, Favell, Al Millar, Fern Rivard and Claude Cyr).

https://news.google.com/newspapers?id=nhpQAAAAIBAJ&sjid=j1YDAAAAIBAJ&pg=1499%2C2150045

That's an interesting link. I'm betting it was a mistake in the newspaper (three instead of two) I doubt a new rule did made teams (just during the playoffs maybe??) carry 3 goalies after just implement the two goalie rule. I found a reference that seems to imply that teams were allowed to name a "substitute to the substitute" goalie in 1966 but it wasn't a rule.

Found week ago article where it was mentioned that Islanders had recalled Andre LePage to "watch the game". This was in late 70´s. I didn´t bookmark the article and seem to lost it. Nothing in it said that he was backup and if that was in todays newspaper I would say that he was a in the press box.

I was unable to find anything else about LePage and the Islanders. I did, however, find his current contact info and send Mr. LePage an email so we'll see if that leads to anything.

Add Chris Levesque, who was signed by the Canucks on December 9, 2003 to backup Johan Hedberg and nearly saw action when Hedberg appeared to be hurt.

Little known note about that game is a couple days prior the Canucks had their fan event, with the skills competition and whatnot. One of these was a breakaway challenge, and on one of the attempts Hedberg skated out of his crease to essentially check the shooter, stopping his attempt before he could shoot.

During this game, against the lowly Pittsburgh Penguins (which also saw Naslund score 4 goals, tying a Canucks record, though the team needed overtime to win), Hedberg actually tried this move out again. Only it didn't work well, and thus was the source of his apparent injury and the reason Levesque nearly became an NHL goalie. No one ever makes the connection with the skills competition from earlier, but that is certainly what happened: Hedberg saw it work there, and thought why not try it against the hapless Penguins.

Levesque has long been on the official list, see first page.

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
That's an interesting link. I'm betting it was a mistake in the newspaper (three instead of two) I doubt a new rule did made teams (just during the playoffs maybe??) carry 3 goalies after just implement the two goalie rule. I found a reference that seems to imply that teams were allowed to name a "substitute to the substitute" goalie in 1966 but it wasn't a rule.

I was unable to find anything else about LePage and the Islanders. I did, however, find his current contact info and send Mr. LePage an email so we'll see if that leads to anything.

Agree. Probably a mistake. That was month after Toronto used three goalies in same game (Bower,Sawchuk and Gamble). But even then it needed emergency conditions. edit. Or atleast they claimed that it was emergency situation.

April 4, 1966
Detroit Free Press

The emergency was that Imlach considered Johnny Bower ill after one period. Then had Terry Sawchuk feel some twinges in a bad knee in the second, then had to finish with Bruce Gamble. Bower sick? The ageless old goalie coached the third period while Imlach sat in the stands. "Yeah, he said he was sick, but I asked him if he could stand up," said Imlach of Bower. "He said he could and said all right, it might make you feel better anyway." Imlach paused, then chuckled. "I declare it an emergency, that protects me with the rules." The Red Wings complained to referee John Ashley about the Toronto goalie parade but got nowhere. They weren't really unhappy, except for being irritated that Imlach was playing with the National Hockey League code.

Last edited:

Benchwarmers

Oct 27, 2013

This morning I got a reply for the man himself. It looks like we have yet another goalie to add to the list. I'll try and uncover some more information when I get some time. Anyone know what the exact date might be here?

"I, indeed, dressed up “as the official Backup” for a game in Detroit. Chico was the starting goalie. Billy’s father had passed away (As far as I remember) so he went home for the funeral.
I got called up and dressed up for that game. It was in 76 or 77. But most probably in 77"

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
This morning I got a reply for the man himself. It looks like we have yet another goalie to add to the list. I'll try and uncover some more information when I get some time. Anyone know what the exact date might be here?

"I, indeed, dressed up “as the official Backup†for a game in Detroit. Chico was the starting goalie. Billy’s father had passed away (As far as I remember) so he went home for the funeral.
I got called up and dressed up for that game. It was in 76 or 77. But most probably in 77"

I wasn´t searching backups at the time so I have no idea what was my search criterias that time. I remember that I looked that LePage was first or second year prospect at the time so I believe that it was the article from that. It´s great that LePage has answered to the question himself. I try to look answer when I have more time.

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
Not a great lead, but atleast something. I have to post it now otherwise I´m going to forget it.

Ward Komonosky was North Stars prospect and was assigned from Minnesota to Indianapolis Checkers for 1985 preseason. At the end he did not get a spot in there and Indianapolis Star reported in Nov 3. that he was assigned to New York Slapshots in ACHL. Five days later there was transaction news in lot of papers that North Stars has assigned him to ACHL. Was this just late reporting or did he spent time with Minnesota? Looking from hockeygoalies.org Beaupre played 8 consecutive games from 27. of October to 17. of November in North Stars goal. There is nothing about Melansons injury though.

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
I was going through Phoenix Roadrunners 76-77 season in WHA and noticed that Roger Swanson (most likely) belongs to WHA backup only category.

He was Roadrunners third goalie and played on their preseason tour here in Finland. On the regular season he was recalled to back Clay Hebenton. Gary Kurt played three games in Oklahoma and him and Hebenton were the only two goalies that played on Roadrunners that season.

January 28, 1977 Arizona Republic
...Goaltender Roger Swanson comes in from Oak City to back Clay Hebenton. Swanson has been recuperating from a knee injury...

Last edited:

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
Another very likely WHA backup. Gerry Gray with New England Whalers.

January 2, 1974 The Lowell Sun
World Hockey Association champs two goaltenders are sidelined by injuries that won't heal sufficiently until the Whalers meet the Toronto Toros at Boston Garden next Monday night...

Ryan said he has called up goalie Gerry Gray from the Jacksonville Barons of the American Hockey League and Bill Berglund, who had played for the Sun Coast Suns of the Southern Hockey league before the team disbanded. He is just recovering from knee surgery. "I plan to look at both of them in practice every day until Friday and make a decision just before we play in Winnipeg Friday night"

Berglund would report lo Jacksonville alter the Whalers regular goaltenders are healthy. Smith aggravated a previous hamstring pull last Thursday in a game at Los Angeles. Laindon was injured two days later in Edmonton when one of the Oilers rammed his elbow and shoulder into the goalpost on a breakaway. Smith played in a losing effort, despite his injury, last Sunday at Vancouver because the Whalers were unable to get another goalie in time for the game.

January 7, 1974 Newport Daily News
"Bergie did a heck of a job in Cleveland and he'll be back in goal against Toronto," New England Coach Ron Ryan said. "It looks as if Smitty will be out a couple more weeks, but Landon may be ready to dress as backup goalie."

With all of this it would seem that he was backup goalie in Whalers two game road trip. Landon actully played the Toronto Toros game because Berglund slipped in a icy parking lot and hurt his knee again. So lot of injuries to goalies in small time period.

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
It´s been a while without good lead, but here is one.

Ron Marlow Islanders 73-74

October 18, 1973
York Daily Record
DESJARDINS BACK NEW YORK (UPI) - The New York Islanders, with the emergency conditions on goalie Jerry Desjardins having terminated, Wednesday returned goaltender Ron Marlow to the Fort Worth Wings of the Central Hockey League

Detroit Free Press
October 18, 1973
Marlow had been obtained a spare for Desjardins who recently suffered strained knee ligaments.

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
Jeremy Smith backs up for the Avalanche tonight, giving him four teams (Nashville, Columbus, Boston) as a backup without ever appearing on-ice in the NHL so far.

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
Larry Thayer might have been North Stars backup in 1980. According to story Gary Edwards was out with bad back. The story is from 1982 (Star Tribune).

Apparently Thayer was coach (or member) of the first U.S. Bandy Team which played in Sweden in 1981.

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
This actually does not belong here, but I just found out that Gene Ubriaco (former NHL player,retired in 1970) played 4 minutes in goal for Baltimore Clippers (EHL) in 1979-1980.

Clay Hebenton was late from the game and Ubriaco who was coach at the time had to dress for the game. Jim Weaver who was their starting goalie was hit by puck to throath and Ubriaco had to play. Ubriaco was occasionally teams practice goalie.

Baltimore was in serious goalie problems that season and Ubriaco had to dress atleast few times as backup goalie.

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
I was looking at the curious case of Michel Dumas last night (being his birthday and all).

Most sources, including the Hall of Fame's site, claim that Dumas "suffered career-ending eye injury in game vs. Colorado, December 26, 1976."

http://www.legendsofhockey.net/LegendsOfHockey/jsp/SearchPlayer.jsp?player=18497

However, Tony Esposito played that entire game:

http://hockeygoalies.org/bio/nhl/logs/CHI1976.html

Even just looking at my chart, though, it's clear that something happened to Dumas around that time - because Gilles Villemure came back (and then Mike Veisor). So what happened?

Here's the beautiful Chicago Tribune archives to the rescue:
http://archives.chicagotribune.com/1976/12/27/page/61

Summary: "Assigned to play the evening game, Dumas was tuning up during a shooting drill [in practice the morning of 12/26] when he took a puck in the right eye - a one-in-a-1,000 drive through the mask opening. "He's in the hospital now, and there is bleeding behind the eye, so we can't tell how bad it is," explained Dr. Myron Tremaine, Hawk physician. "The blood has to clear before we can determine the extent of damage..."

"And Esposito made it less complicated by not getting hurt. You see, about the time that Dumas was being sidelined, Gilles Villemure was being snowbound in New York, where he spent Christmas Day with the family."

"National Hockey League rules stipulate that a club must dress two goalies for a game, but in emergency situations such as the one faced by Chicago, there is an out. Munson Campbell, president of the Rockies, permitted the Hawks to designate one of their players as a substitute goalie, and so did NHL President Clarence Campbell. That volunteer was Dick Redmond, who has played all five other positions this season and said he was willing, if not ready, to try six."

"If Esposito had been hurt, they'd have had to use him," said Referee Charlie Banfield. "There is a rule that says the goalie must leave the game until the next whistle for equipment repairs, but if that had happened here, we would have had to use discretion."

Redmond clearly wasn't dressed on the bench in gear (in fact, he scored the game's first game), so he doesn't qualify as an official backup (my opinion). But it's an interesting story.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
^^^ yes, interesting bit of trivia I wasnt unaware of... researched him a bit.... sad story really as Dumas showed some potential. Photo's of him rare, but I did find a couple & he appears to have favoured the Lefty Wilson style mask that was little changed since the late 50's early-60's. The model he's wearing however could be a "take-off" on it as it appears slightly thicker than usual with air holes drilled into the cheeks. Eyeholes look about average, normal, so if he did have them filed out which wasnt uncommon not by much. Obviously that sort of accident in using the old face-flush masks regardless of maker or model was a real possibility, accidents waiting to happen.... I noted as well that in his first ever NHL game he was called into duty to relieve Esposito in a game vs Atlanta when the stitching on Tony's glove unravelled & he had to stop playing to get it fixed. Dumas only played 1 minute but as was/is protocol, shared in the 4-0 Shutout against the Flames.... Hired as an Amateur Scout by Chicago following his accident which was a classy move. Excelled, was with the Hawks for decades thereafter.

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
I agree - always a fan of Dumas' and he was a good company man (probably why the Black Hawks brought him into their scouting staff immediately). And the mask does appear to be a Wilson:

089dacd6e374c8a62f158a8c0190bc41--goalie-mask-but.jpg

I can't imagine what that must have felt like, but the holes do look rather large.

Or rather, I think I *can* imagine - one game against Metro State, I took a shot to the cage (I wore a cat's eye) and the puck stuck in the bars of the mask. The cage bent in, and I could feel it on my eyebrow. One of the scariest things I've ever had happen on the ice.

Our coach was a practice goalie for the Black Hawks in the 1960s (tying this full circle), and he used to go maskless in practice sometimes when two or more of us were injured. Of course, no one dared shoot above the waist at him. :D

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad