NHL Goalies - Backups Only, Looking for Help

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
Two things struck me as odd with this Jon Gustafson Reno Renegades' profile:

The first being that he's "not weird like other goalies". Sure, Jon - sure.

The second being that it reminds me that I've never found a media source for his Maple Leafs backup game on April 15, 1993. It may be in the Toronto Star, which I don't have access to. Anyhow, it's on the NHL Backups site so I'm sure that it happened, but I like to have my own source before I put it on my site.

Reactions: Sanf

ES

Feb 14, 2004
Finland
Ville Husso is now off the list after he played for the first time in the 3rd period against Avs.

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
Two things struck me as odd with this Jon Gustafson Reno Renegades' profile:

The first being that he's "not weird like other goalies". Sure, Jon - sure.

The second being that it reminds me that I've never found a media source for his Maple Leafs backup game on April 15, 1993. It may be in the Toronto Star, which I don't have access to. Anyhow, it's on the NHL Backups site so I'm sure that it happened, but I like to have my own source before I put it on my site.

There is mistake? The game was the last one of the 1992 season against Rangers and he backed up Fuhr. It is prior to the game, but atleast that is what I have. Ottawa Citizen April 15. page 53.

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009
Can’t remember if there was a team-specific thread on this topic, but Aaron Dell backed up Jack Campbell on Saturday and got claimed on waivers today. So that’s his stint in Toronto.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
Can’t remember if there was a team-specific thread on this topic, but Aaron Dell backed up Jack Campbell on Saturday and got claimed on waivers today. So that’s his stint in Toronto.

Its "dressed but never played a game in the NHL".

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
I guess I could mention this.

Clem Harnedy, goalie of the USA in 1934 World Championship was given tryout in 1943 Black Hawks training camp. He did reasonably well and originally he was suppose to be Black Hawks starting goalie that season.

Chicago Tribune 29. Oct 1943
Clem Harnedy, who participated in both workouts, received the nod from the Hawks´ boss as the goalie who will face Toronto Sunday. Harnedy suffered a back injury last Monday and it was feared he would be unable to play for a week, but diathermy treatments have put the University of Southern California´s former goalie in good physical trim.

Chicago Tribune 2. Nov 1943
Clem Harnedy, the university of Souther California goalie, is still under the Hawks physician´s care, suffering from arthritis and will not be able to participate in workouts for at least three weeks.

His backproblems did prevent him to start that game and eventually few years later forced him to retire. Hawks apparently did carry two goalies according to papers and his name appears in the lineups. Though I´m not sure if he ever dressed to the game. But never played in NHL game even though it was close.

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
Been while

Mike Parson Boston Bruins 1992-1993

Few snippets from The Boston Globe (Feb 4. 1993)

..."He's been tremendous since day one for us," said Sutter, referring to Blue, who kept backup goalie Mike Parson safely on the bench all night...

...Rookie netminder Mike Parson, who served as John Blue's backup here, has played in three minor league towns this year, most recently in Providence...

...Parson took a flight here yesterday with fellow Providence call-up Stephane Richer...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad