NHL Goalies - Backups Only, Looking for Help

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
Not what I was looking for, but fits to here. Does any Vancouver fan remember?

I assume that the original source is The Hockey News May 2. or 1. , 1992

CANUCKS RECALL TWO:

The VANCOUVER CANUCKS have recalled wingers SHAWN ANTOSKI and ROBIN BAWA from Milwaukee of the International Hockey League for the next round of the Stanley Cup playoffs. They earlier announced that goaltender BOB MASON would be recalled but instead opted to retain junior prospect JASON FITZSIMMONS as the back-up to starter KIRK McLEAN.

Last edited:

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
I did sent you earlier some info about Chuck Goddard. It would seem that he did serve as North Stars backup in their first season.

The Winona Daily News 1, March 1968
Goalie Gary Bauman, who left a minor league team without permission earlier this week, has been told to take a few days off before joining the Minnesota North Stars. Wren Blair, coach and general manager of the National Hockey League team, met with his unhappy goalie Thursday night and later announced the action. Bauman, 28, was sent to Rochester of the American League about two weeks ago. He showed up in the Twin Cities Wednesday and indicated he might retire. But Blair said he would return substitute goaltender Chuck Goddard to the North Stars' farm team at Memphis to make room for Bauman. The Michigan Tech graduate started several games early in the season for Minnesota before Cesare Maniago won the No. 1 job. The North Stars also announced that Maniago would return to action Saturday against the Montreal Canadiens here. He has been suffering from bruised ribs.

March 4. they recalled Baumann and sent Wetzel down. Wetzel had played four games recently. So if Maniago was out Goddard might have been backup.

Also Goddard was called earlier in season October 21.

October 21, 1967 The Daily Telegram
Of concern to Blair, however, was the status of his two goalies. Gary Bauman could start but has a back injury. Cesare Maniago definitely is not available. He has blurred vision since a collision in last Wednesday's 3-3 tie at Pittsburgh. As a precaution, Blair called up goalie Chuck Goddard from the North Stars' farm team at Memphis.

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
One more hit.

Chris Rogles one game as Hacketts backup in Chicago in 93-94. (spamming more PM :))

Basically I found some old training camp rosters and made some background checking from players that wasn´t familiar to me and same time checked if some could be "benchwarmers". Now that source has dried out.

Edit. I guess I can add one weak maybe

Scott Roche was recalled by Blues in somewhere between 15.-17. of february in 1999. Blues where having some injury troubles, but don´t know anything else.

Last edited:

iamjs

Oct 1, 2008
Maurice Barrette, recalled by the Montreal Canadiens on May 5, 1978

https://news.google.com/newspapers?...AIBAJ&sjid=4QUEAAAAIBAJ&pg=5091,1340681&hl=en

I found an article from an article from a Montreal paper with Scotty Bowman commenting on the recall, but it's in French. Although I can pick out keywords - it looks like it says he was recalled as a precaution but will not play tonight - I'm not sure if he dressed.

From May 9, 1978, or a few days after his recall.

Loose google translation:
Bowman finally reports that the young Maurice Barrette, goalkeeper of the Nova Scotia Voyageurs, accompanies the team in Toronto. It is only by a precaution; we prevail us a solution who we authorize us to do so. Apart Lapointe. Nobody (on the) team is subject not to play tomorrow night. Guy, anyway, has not been fracture; it would likely be in the form tomorrow morning we'll see.
https://news.google.com/newspapers?...AIBAJ&sjid=D2IEAAAAIBAJ&pg=1276,1282521&hl=en

Last edited:

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

Last edited:

iamjs

Oct 1, 2008
OP is looking for goalies who were recalled, dressed, but never logged a single minute in the NHL.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Sorry. I misunderstood.

Thats alright Wally.... ever hear tell of the The Preacher?.... And I mean beyond that Clint Eastwood flick Pale Rider?.... Im talking about George Abbott.... Ordained Baptist Minister born in 1911 & mysteriously, no known date of death, just like Eastwood in the film.... prolly still walking the Earth beating up Hoods outsida Hardware Stores in Hick Towns with axe handles... Theres nothin like a nice piece of hickory... anyhoo, played one game for the Bruins during the 43/44 season as an emergency replacement in Toronto vs the Leafs when regular Bert Gardiner was felled by illness.... George was a practice goalie for the Leafs, starting for the Dunnville Mudcats (dont ask) having been a standout in Jr but who tragically was struck in the eye by a puck when trying out for the old NHL Hamilton Tigers.... so ya, by 43/44, old as dust Man... regardless, this one eyed Baptist Preacher Man, despite being knocked out cold at one point by a Babe Pratt shot did manage to stop 52 shots though Boston did lose 7-3.... I reckon its stories like this one the op's lookin for.... I got tonnes of em.... and who care if its slightly OT?... Ha?. ;)

Last edited:

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
Sorry, goes to OT category too, but while ago I noticed that Mike Rosati was recalled by Rangers to be backup in one game (against Montreal). This was in February 4. 1989. Now almost ten years later (11/07/1998) he debuted in Washington Capitals. Wonder if that is record for longest time period between being "benchwarmer" and NHL debut on ice.

Last edited:

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Thats alright Wally.... ever hear tell of the The Preacher?.... And I mean beyond that Clint Eastwood flick Pale Rider?.... Im talking about George Abbott.... Ordained Baptist Minister born in 1911 & mysteriously, no known date of death, just like Eastwood in the film.... prolly still walking the Earth beating up Hoods outsida Hardware Stores in Hick Towns with axe handles... Theres nothin like a nice piece of hickory... anyhoo, played one game for the Bruins during the 43/44 season as an emergency replacement in Toronto vs the Leafs when regular Bert Gardiner was felled by illness.... George was a practice goalie for the Leafs, starting for the Dunnville Mudcats (dont ask) having been a standout in Jr but who tragically was struck in the eye by a puck when trying out for the old NHL Hamilton Tigers.... so ya, by 43/44, old as dust Man... regardless, this one eyed Baptist Preacher Man, despite being knocked out cold at one point by a Babe Pratt shot did manage to stop 52 shots though Boston did lose 7-3.... I reckon its stories like this one the op's lookin for.... I got tonnes of em.... and who care if its slightly OT?... Ha?. ;)

Thats a great story man!

Last week here Tuukka Rask got sick against the Rangers and had to leave the game beginning on the second period. Bob Essena, the goalie coach, had to dress as a back up. The players were laughing their butts off on the bench.

Any how, Joe Junkin only played a total of 8 minutes. maybe he can get an Honorable Mention:

http://goaliesarchive.com/bruins/indexjunkin.html

Last edited:

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
Last week here Tuukka Rask got sick against the Rangers and had to leave the game beginning on the second period. Bob Essena, the goalie coach, had to dress as a back up. The players were laughing their butts off on the bench.

I've been trying to track all of these on my site as well - and they seem to be happening a lot more often.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
I've been trying to track all of these on my site as well - and they seem to be happening a lot more often.

If you want to read a cool story google John Aiken Bruin practice goalie.

I played with his son Johhny, one of my D men when we were kids.

Back in the day of one goalie, he had to dress for the Habs when Plante got hurt. I kid you not.

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
Aiken's one of my all-time favorites (us mathematicians have to stick together) - I've seen him variously referred to as Don or John (I have him on my site as Don, although in my next refresh I'll have his full name):

http://www.hockeygoalies.org/bio/aiken.html

He played decently well in that game, all things considered. That era always amazed me, that the home team would have a spare goalie available for both teams in the event of injury.

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012

Yeah, have there been three or four already this season. I have seen few similar on the archives, but on those cases the retired veteran goalie didn´t dress to game. One that I could remember and found was Dave Dryden. Goalie coach with Red Wings in 87-88.

The Argus-Press - Apr 16, 1988
St.Laurent was replaced on the ice by Greg Stefan, but Stefan was suffering from the flu and Devellano was worried he might not be able to finish.

"The rules say it´s got to be someone on our reserve list. Dave Dryden. I´m going to ask Dave Dryden. I´ll sign him to a contract right here." Devellano told columnist Mitch Alborn of the Detroit Free Press...

https://news.google.com/newspapers?id=Ll0iAAAAIBAJ&sjid=_6kFAAAAIBAJ&pg=4674%2C4187944

Last edited:

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
Continues in slight off-topic, but noticed this while researching Bowmans backup system in St. Louis Blues.

Don Caley was called to Blues in 67-68. Their farm team Kansas City Blues (CPHL) was down to one goalie (Tom Bend). Doug Harvey who was coach of KC Blues at the time named himself as the backup goalie to official lineups in two games. Though he did not dress to goalie gears :). Granted it wasn´t NHL, but makes me wonder could they stretch the rules in the early days of two goalie system. (edit of course I´m not sure if the two goalie system was officially used in CPHL then)

Last edited:

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Continues in slight off-topic, but noticed this while researching Bowmans backup system in St. Louis Blues.

Don Caley was called to Blues in 67-68. Their farm team Kansas City Blues (CPHL) was down to one goalie (Tom Bend). Doug Harvey who was coach of KC Blues at the time named himself as the backup goalie to official lineups in two games. Though he did not dress to goalie gears :). Granted it wasn´t NHL, but makes me wonder could they stretch the rules in the early days of two goalie system. (edit of course I´m not sure if the two goalie system was officially used in CPHL then)

Pretty sure they required 2 goalies, Harvey a Playing/Coach. Interesting.

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
Pretty sure they required 2 goalies, Harvey a Playing/Coach. Interesting.

I did bit more digging and it seem that he did (could?) not play on those games. Apparently it might have happened later on that season too. But, yeah interesting season. player-coach, spare goalie and call up to playoffs to parent club.

January 2, 1968 The Kansas City Times
... Caley, who gave up 3 goals in St. Louis’s 8-1 loss last Saturday night, is expected to be back in the nets tomorrow night. That would return Tom Bend to standby status and end the brief spare-goalie career of Doug Harvey, player-coach. Harvey did not dress out for the Blues’s last two games, but listed himself in the official lineup as the spare goalie...

March 28, 1968 The Kansas City Times
...goalie Don Caley sidelined with an eye injury and player-coach Doug Harvey remaining on the bench, sending in defenseman Panl Chiarot to fill his spot...

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
Wow, that's quite an impressive list to keep. I'm surprised you have that one game of Chris Levesque in as the Canucks backup. I was at that game, and when Hedberg got hurt, the whole crowd started chanting "UBC, UBC!"

Kudos to you!

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
This is addicting. :) Decided to try again.

Jim Ralph with Blackhawks in 82-83

Apparently quite well known in Canada? Atleast in Toronto. edit. Jim Ralph I mean. Not this backup stint.

Nov. 11, 1982 Chicago Tribune
Lafleur would have played if he could. But Esposito would have been the backup to Murray Bannerman (instead of Jim Ralph, brought in from Denver from of the Central League) had not been hurt.
Artcile

Nov. 12, 1982 Chicago Tribune
Esposito didn´t dress for the Montreal game and didn´t practice Thursday because of a groin injury. "I´m think going to keep Jim Ralph (the rookie recalled from Denver of the Central League) here for the weekend" said Tessier. "Groin injuries are tough to overcome."

Last edited:

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
One more from Chicago Tribune. Now I´m out of search tricks so probably last for now.

Mickey Walsh 70-71 Blackhawks. Didn´t count how many games there was.

Desjardins was out with injury. Meloche was called up and played couple of games. Then for whatever reason he was send down and they called Walsh up. Apparently Walsh was there for about week as backup for Esposito and then they replaced him with Ken Brown. Sending the articles with PM.

Last edited:

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
These are great - nice work, Sanf!! :handclap:

I have become backup goalie junkie. I just need to get that one. :) The site itself is great work. I´m just digging out leads.

Actually your site has been great help in my searches with the injury section and the game logs.

Atlanta Flames is one of the interesting ones. Bouchard and Myre played all the games during first five seasons. It would be surprising if there weren´t other backups used ever (Well Hall didn´t need anyone in 502 games, but the system had changed). I know that Jim Shaw was the "third in line" during the 72-74 seasons and was one of the hottest goalie names going into 1974 expansion draft (signed with Toros before the draft). Never seen anything about him being called up during season though. But then again for example Walsh played in Green Bay in USHL and I don´t know was he even officially contracted with Chicago before so it doesn´t need to be that third guy. I think some of these might have been mentioned only in local papers.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad